    wondering what is causing it. does the sensor work on the fact that the fan
    is rotating or is it the temperature of the processor that triggers it.?

    paul
    Paranoid Paul, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Paranoid Paul

    Smoker~ Guest

    "Paranoid Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > over the past couple of weeks my computer has been making an annoying
    > beeping sound on startup telling me that the cooling fan is not working. i
    > have opened up the case several times and found that the fan IS working.
    > if i restart the computer the problem seems to go away but i can't help
    > wondering what is causing it. does the sensor work on the fact that the
    > fan is rotating or is it the temperature of the processor that triggers
    > it.?

    Have you added any new hardware recently? I'm thinking the power supply
    could be overdrawn or giving up the ghost even though you wouldn't think a 3
    watt fan would normally be the power hog that's causing it. When you cold
    boot it takes all the power drawn to start up everything. When you reboot a
    lot less power is required because all that stuff is already started, hence
    plenty of power to start that fan.
    Smoker~, Jan 21, 2006

  3. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:35:54 +0000, Paranoid Paul wrote:

    > over the past couple of weeks my computer has been making an annoying
    > beeping sound on startup telling me that the cooling fan is not working. i
    > have opened up the case several times and found that the fan IS working.
    > if i restart the computer the problem seems to go away but i can't help
    > wondering what is causing it. does the sensor work on the fact that the
    > fan is rotating or is it the temperature of the processor that triggers
    > it.?

    There are temp sensors and there are fan sensors. If the message says fan
    failure, it would appear that it's from a fan sensor.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Paranoid Paul

    none Guest

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    > over the past couple of weeks my computer has been making an annoying
    > beeping sound on startup telling me that the cooling fan is not working. i
    > have opened up the case several times and found that the fan IS working. if
    > i restart the computer the problem seems to go away but i can't help
    > wondering what is causing it. does the sensor work on the fact that the fan
    > is rotating or is it the temperature of the processor that triggers it.?
    >
    > paul

    There are several fans in a PC, did you check that all of them are working?
    none, Jan 22, 2006