    Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium?
    I tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    some fool, Jan 3, 2011

  2. some fool

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:10:48 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On 2 Jan 2011 16:07:52 -0800, some fool <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bought a cute little gadget for my system. A Thermaltake docking station that
    >>holds two hard drives. I have installed two 500gig drives and the dock is
    >>connected to my laptop via usb. Works just fine.

    > Yeah, you told us that the other day, bullis.
    >
    >>But, the drives appear to be constantly running even when not in use and are
    >>very hot to the touch. I've done some googling to see how to turn these drives
    >>off while not in use but so far, nothing found seems to help.
    >>
    >>Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium?
    >>I tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    >>Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    > Don't anyone help bullshit bullis.
    >
    > Fucking arrogant prick never thanks anyone - ever.
    >
    > And now creates a sock puppet to ask questions.

    bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaha

    The great ignoramous troll and stalker speaks, and every one is expected to
    bow to his arrogant high and mighty white horse.
    Not to mention the fact he feels he is an expert in law, html, php,
    trucking, recreational vehicles and camping, and practically any other
    subject you might have.

    www.espphotography.com

    What a pathetic site.

    richard, Jan 3, 2011

  3. Evan Platt wrote:

    > some fool <> wrote:
    >> Bought a cute little gadget

    > And now creates a sock puppet to ask questions.

    Pretty funny, eh? He chose well, too: "some fool"

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2011
  4. some fool

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:07:52 -0800, some fool wrote:

    > Bought a cute little gadget for my system. A Thermaltake docking station
    > that holds two hard drives. I have installed two 500gig drives and the
    > dock is connected to my laptop via usb. Works just fine.
    >
    > But, the drives appear to be constantly running even when not in use and
    > are very hot to the touch. I've done some googling to see how to turn
    > these drives off while not in use but so far, nothing found seems to
    > help.
    >
    > Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium? I
    > tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    > Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    WARNING TO THE UNWARY:

    Do not help this poster. You will not receive any gratitude, but you most
    probably be lambasted for not doing enough to help him. Even if you put
    in any of your precious time to help him, you will not get any
    appreciation for your efforts.

    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    --
    Couldn't think of a sig. This'll have to do.

    Aardvark, Jan 3, 2011
  5. some fool

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:36:41 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> some fool <> wrote:
    >>> Bought a cute little gadget

    >> And now creates a sock puppet to ask questions.

    > Pretty funny, eh? He chose well, too: "some fool"

    It was aimed at evan just to see how he'd reply.
    Shit, all I have to do to turn the drives off is to press the power button.

    Do you recall back in 97 or 98 when I was posting through a free server, a
    bunch of idiots jumped on some guy's case because he was using the same
    server?
    They claimed it was me using a sock. Which I wasn't. And the dumbasses
    didn't know that "Joe Blog" was the UK version of "John Doe". The poor guy
    never did get his question answered and was never heard from again.

    richard, Jan 3, 2011
  6. some fool

    VanguardLH Guest

    some fool wrote:

    > Bought a cute little gadget for my system. A Thermaltake docking station that
    > holds two hard drives. I have installed two 500gig drives and the dock is
    > connected to my laptop via usb. Works just fine.
    >
    > But, the drives appear to be constantly running even when not in use and are
    > very hot to the touch. I've done some googling to see how to turn these drives
    > off while not in use but so far, nothing found seems to help.
    >
    > Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium?
    > I tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    > Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    External 1-drive cases that have no ventilation will get warm. You have
    2 drives inside and probably no decent ventilation. Conduction of heat
    through the mounting screws and contact with the mounting brackets and
    then to the metal case (is it metal?) is slow and inefficient. There
    isn't enough mass involved to absorb and conduct the heat away at a
    reasonable rate. That's why some external drive cases will include a
    fan; however, many are poorly designed in that they end up blowing
    through a closed or restricted space which means the fan spins but
    little air moves across the hard disks and out of the case. Some even
    have exhaust ports but no intake ports (or rely on leakage). Well, no
    cooler air in then no much hot air goes out.

    You never identified your particular Thermaltake external drive case.
    The Thermaltake brand-name isn't sufficient to infer a well-designed
    drive case. Are one of these what you have?

    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346

    If so, the hard disk isn't inside a case. If they're getting
    excessively hot (over 60 C), they are worn or the heat isn't allowed to
    dissipate fast enough. If it's not the case but the drives themselves
    that are getting hot, well, then maybe you are using high-RPM drives,
    like 15K RPM, or they're bearing(s) is(are) worn and you better consider
    replacing them. Did you put a thermometer against them to measure their
    case surface temperature? Hard disks should be under 60 C (140 F) as
    that's typically the top-end of their sustained operating temperature
    range. 150 F will scald with 2-second exposure, 140 F scalds on 6-second
    exposure, 130 F scalds on 30-seconds, and 120 F, what your hot water
    heater should be set at, scalds on 5-minute exposure (see
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5098.html). The hard drive is okay as
    long as the top cover of the hard drive doesn't exceed 55 C (131 F).
    So, yeah, the drive will feel uncomfortably hot to your finger but
    that's okay unless you let your cat lay atop of it or you use it for an
    armrest. You ever notice you can withstand stuff put in your mouth
    that's too hot for you to hold with your fingers?

    Why would you expect the group policy editor (or anything for policies
    pushed on *domains*) to be in any HOME version of Windows? gpedit is a
    front-end for doing registry edits. If you know what registry settings
    you were going to edit then you don't need to use gpedit.

    You never mentioned ever going into the Power Options to see if you can
    configure the power modes used for USB devices. See if customized the
    power scheme regarding USB settings does what you want.

    http://blog.enterpriseitplanet.com/green/blog/2009/01/how-to-manage-windows-7-power-settings.html

    By the way, the Windows 7 newsgroups and forums are listed below:

    Windows 7 newsgroup: alt.windows7.general

    Microsoft's web-based forums for Windows 7:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

    VanguardLH, Jan 3, 2011
  7. some fool

    VanguardLH Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:07:52 -0800, some fool wrote:
    >
    >> Bought a cute little gadget for my system. A Thermaltake docking station
    >> that holds two hard drives. I have installed two 500gig drives and the
    >> dock is connected to my laptop via usb. Works just fine.
    >>
    >> But, the drives appear to be constantly running even when not in use and
    >> are very hot to the touch. I've done some googling to see how to turn
    >> these drives off while not in use but so far, nothing found seems to
    >> help.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium? I
    >> tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    >> Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    > WARNING TO THE UNWARY:
    >
    > Do not help this poster. You will not receive any gratitude, but you most
    > probably be lambasted for not doing enough to help him. Even if you put
    > in any of your precious time to help him, you will not get any
    > appreciation for your efforts.
    >
    > YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    You respond (to provide help) and really expect applause? Geesh. In
    the vast majority of cases, the user gets an answer, doesn't respond
    because they don't know if the suggestions are useful or not, goes off
    trying the suggestions, finds a fix, and then never bother to comes back
    to thank anyone or even to identify which suggestion helped them, if
    any. Not only do you need a thick-skinned ego to survive in Usenet, you
    better have the ability to help without reward. It won't be
    forthcoming.

    VanguardLH, Jan 3, 2011
  8. some fool

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:48:00 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]

    > armrest. You ever notice you can withstand stuff put in your mouth
    > that's too hot for you to hold with your fingers?
    >
    > Why would you expect the group policy editor (or anything for policies
    > pushed on *domains*) to be in any HOME version of Windows? gpedit is a
    > front-end for doing registry edits. If you know what registry settings
    > you were going to edit then you don't need to use gpedit.
    >
    > You never mentioned ever going into the Power Options to see if you can
    > configure the power modes used for USB devices. See if customized the
    > power scheme regarding USB settings does what you want.
    >
    > http://blog.enterpriseitplanet.com/green/blog/2009/01/how-to-manage-windows-7-power-settings.html
    >

    > By the way, the Windows 7 newsgroups and forums are listed below:
    >
    > Windows 7 newsgroup: alt.windows7.general
    >
    > Microsoft's web-based forums for Windows 7:

    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1346&ID=1895

    This is the one I have. As you can see, 80% of the hd is exposed to the
    elements. Actual operating temp is probably around the 100-110 degree
    range. As I had my hand on the drives for several seconds with no scalding.
    Just a bit surprised they were that warm from being air cooled and no fan
    on them.

    richard, Jan 3, 2011
  9. some fool

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:51:24 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:07:52 -0800, some fool wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bought a cute little gadget for my system. A Thermaltake docking station
    >>> that holds two hard drives. I have installed two 500gig drives and the
    >>> dock is connected to my laptop via usb. Works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> But, the drives appear to be constantly running even when not in use and
    >>> are very hot to the touch. I've done some googling to see how to turn
    >>> these drives off while not in use but so far, nothing found seems to
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know how to turn these drives off in windows 7 home premium? I
    >>> tried running gpedit.msc but that does not appear to exist in 7.
    >>> Thinking maybe the autoplay might work if turned off.

    >> WARNING TO THE UNWARY:
    >>
    >> Do not help this poster. You will not receive any gratitude, but you most
    >> probably be lambasted for not doing enough to help him. Even if you put
    >> in any of your precious time to help him, you will not get any
    >> appreciation for your efforts.
    >>
    >> YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    > You respond (to provide help) and really expect applause? Geesh. In
    > the vast majority of cases, the user gets an answer, doesn't respond
    > because they don't know if the suggestions are useful or not, goes off
    > trying the suggestions, finds a fix, and then never bother to comes back
    > to thank anyone or even to identify which suggestion helped them, if
    > any. Not only do you need a thick-skinned ego to survive in Usenet, you
    > better have the ability to help without reward. It won't be
    > forthcoming.

    ain't that the frickin truth?
    Someone comes in, asks a simple question, gets 500 responses, and never
    says another word. Three months later he shows up asking the same question.

    years ago, when I first started posting to this group, and being treated as
    "stoopid", there was one guy who said, "Every time I want to put him in the
    killfile, he comes up with more damned information I need!".

    richard, Jan 3, 2011
  10. some fool

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 20:37:22 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:13:15 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>ain't that the frickin truth?
    >>Someone comes in, asks a simple question, gets 500 responses, and never
    >>says another word. Three months later he shows up asking the same question.

    > That's to be expected from the irregulars. You, as a regular, have
    > never ONCE said "Thanks for your help."

    au contraire mon ami. I have even said thank you to you a time or two.
    Most recently was when you posted a link to "process monitor".
    and I do frequently say thank you in the html and php groups.

    >>years ago, when I first started posting to this group, and being treated as
    >>"stoopid",

    > You are.
    >
    >>there was one guy who said, "Every time I want to put him in the
    >>killfile, he comes up with more damned information I need!".

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > You've never come up with information anyone needed.

    totally wrong you are.

    richard, Jan 3, 2011
  11. richard wrote:

    > and I do frequently say thank you in the html and php groups.

    <lol> Taking into account your recent thread in the PHP group, I don't
    recall you thanking anyone for exposing your lack of programming skills
    .... which is about all that happened in that thread!

    --
    -bts
    -"=" != "=="

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2011
  12. some fool

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 03/01/2011 00:50, richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:36:41 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> And now creates a sock puppet to ask questions.

    >> Pretty funny, eh? He chose well, too: "some fool"

    > It was aimed at evan just to see how he'd reply.
    > Shit, all I have to do to turn the drives off is to press the power button.

    No shit Sherlock?

    If pressing a power button to turn something off was taxing your
    technical abilities, it's no wonder you couldn't remove the hard drive
    from your old HP without seeking assistance.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 4, 2011