Cool pix 3200 TV 640 VS 3 MP mode - first time newsgroup user (And camera)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi! I am new to newsgroups and all so if this is the wrong way to do
    things - let me know and sorry.Someone set this up for me but I am learning.

    Anyway - I just bought a cool pix 3200 and I read the manual. I hope someone
    can help as I did not understand where it says if I want show my pictures on
    the TV I need to shoot the picture in 640? If I do this - I can't then print
    it at 3 MP right? I ask because I want to take lots of shots and then view
    them on the TV before I download them all to the PC. Also to show friends, I
    wanted to view on the TV - easier then on the PC. If I shoot in 3 MP - I can
    copy to the card and make 640 but the picture on my TV was tiny. I shot in
    normal (3 MP?) and played on the TV and they looked fine. Am I missing
    something important? I also wanted to use the TV to delete some before
    downloading to the PC as the screen on the camera is too small for me to
    tell if it's a good shot or not. Why does it say I have to shoot in 640? Or
    is that if I'm only going to show on TV or Email - not save / print?

    I was on some great camera comparison site today that had stuff like this
    but I couldn't find anything there. But I did try and search.

    2ND QUESTION -Anyone know how to set up folders on the SD card or if that is
    possible? I want to create folders so I don't have to download all shots as
    we want to save some pictures on the card to take it to the store to make
    prints (They look better then from home printer and don't run when they get
    wet) and to take to friends to show them. If I take more pictures between -
    I'd think they'd all download again without folders?

    Anyone know where to get one of those key fob memory things that normally
    come in 128 / 256 etc and go in the USB port but this one I am asking for
    plugs in the USB port and you stick your SD card in it. My boss got one with
    his camera - neat toy to take pictures from PC to PC.

    THANKS to all! Sorry so long - new to me.

    I like the camera so far - only had it a week. A lot of my shots were blurry
    but I'm sure that's ME - not the camera - still learning it.

    Jim / NJ

    PS- My camera w/ a 256 card installed says 309 pictures. A friend said no
    way - I must have it set to way too low a res? I have it on normal (2048?).
    Isn't that 3.2 MP? What is the difference between that the high 2048? 2048
    vs 2048 sounds the same to me? Again - I'm not that up on this stuff (yet).

    Jim, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Re: Cool pix 3200 TV 640 VS 3 MP mode - first time newsgroup user (Andcamera)

    Jim wrote:

    > Hi! I am new to newsgroups and all so if this is the wrong way to do
    > things - let me know and sorry.Someone set this up for me but I am learning.
    >
    > Anyway - I just bought a cool pix 3200 and I read the manual. I hope someone
    > can help as I did not understand where it says if I want show my pictures on
    > the TV I need to shoot the picture in 640? If I do this - I can't then print
    > it at 3 MP right? I ask because I want to take lots of shots and then view
    > them on the TV before I download them all to the PC. Also to show friends, I
    > wanted to view on the TV - easier then on the PC. If I shoot in 3 MP - I can
    > copy to the card and make 640 but the picture on my TV was tiny. I shot in
    > normal (3 MP?) and played on the TV and they looked fine. Am I missing
    > something important? I also wanted to use the TV to delete some before
    > downloading to the PC as the screen on the camera is too small for me to
    > tell if it's a good shot or not. Why does it say I have to shoot in 640? Or
    > is that if I'm only going to show on TV or Email - not save / print?
    >
    > I was on some great camera comparison site today that had stuff like this
    > but I couldn't find anything there. But I did try and search.
    >
    > 2ND QUESTION -Anyone know how to set up folders on the SD card or if that is
    > possible? I want to create folders so I don't have to download all shots as
    > we want to save some pictures on the card to take it to the store to make
    > prints (They look better then from home printer and don't run when they get
    > wet) and to take to friends to show them. If I take more pictures between -
    > I'd think they'd all download again without folders?
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one of those key fob memory things that normally
    > come in 128 / 256 etc and go in the USB port but this one I am asking for
    > plugs in the USB port and you stick your SD card in it. My boss got one with
    > his camera - neat toy to take pictures from PC to PC.
    >
    > THANKS to all! Sorry so long - new to me.
    >
    > I like the camera so far - only had it a week. A lot of my shots were blurry
    > but I'm sure that's ME - not the camera - still learning it.
    >
    > Jim / NJ
    >
    > PS- My camera w/ a 256 card installed says 309 pictures. A friend said no
    > way - I must have it set to way too low a res? I have it on normal (2048?).
    > Isn't that 3.2 MP? What is the difference between that the high 2048? 2048
    > vs 2048 sounds the same to me? Again - I'm not that up on this stuff (yet).

    If your 3200 is like my 4300, you have a plug in the side of the
    camera for the TV. If it does, size is automatic for the TV (the
    actual image size in the camera doesn't change). You should always
    set your camera to the 2048 size. If you are going to email then you
    want to change the size with the software so it won't take minutes to
    send.

    Blurry may mean that you are not pushing the shutter button down 1/2
    and allowing the camera to lock the exposure and the focus (watch the
    lock light come on) and then pressing the remaining 1/2 to snap the
    picture. Otherwise, you are just not holding the camera still enough
    for the shutter speed, e.g. trying to take pictures when there is
    little light. Also getting the focus to lock may be difficult when
    there is little light.

    You have two settings for the image, size and quality. Always use the
    2048 size and set the quality for as high as it will go (don't believe
    the 3200 has a Tiff or Raw setting so your best setting is probably
    for a 1:4 compression, normal will be a compression of 1:8.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Re: Cool pix 3200 TV 640 VS 3 MP mode - first time newsgroup user (Andcamera)

    Jim wrote:

    > Hi! I am new to newsgroups and all so if this is the wrong way to do
    > things - let me know and sorry.Someone set this up for me but I am learning.
    >
    > Anyway - I just bought a cool pix 3200 and I read the manual. I hope someone
    > can help as I did not understand where it says if I want show my pictures on
    > the TV I need to shoot the picture in 640? If I do this - I can't then print
    > it at 3 MP right? I ask because I want to take lots of shots and then view
    > them on the TV before I download them all to the PC. Also to show friends, I
    > wanted to view on the TV - easier then on the PC. If I shoot in 3 MP - I can
    > copy to the card and make 640 but the picture on my TV was tiny. I shot in
    > normal (3 MP?) and played on the TV and they looked fine. Am I missing
    > something important? I also wanted to use the TV to delete some before
    > downloading to the PC as the screen on the camera is too small for me to
    > tell if it's a good shot or not. Why does it say I have to shoot in 640? Or
    > is that if I'm only going to show on TV or Email - not save / print?

    See my comment to another person in this thread.

    > I was on some great camera comparison site today that had stuff like this
    > but I couldn't find anything there. But I did try and search.
    >
    > 2ND QUESTION -Anyone know how to set up folders on the SD card or if that is
    > possible? I want to create folders so I don't have to download all shots as
    > we want to save some pictures on the card to take it to the store to make
    > prints (They look better then from home printer and don't run when they get
    > wet) and to take to friends to show them. If I take more pictures between -
    > I'd think they'd all download again without folders?

    Whoa! You can probably set up folders (see you manual) but there is no
    need. Downloading to your computer doesn't wipe the pictures from the
    card. You can download selected pictures to your computer and you can
    select pictures for printing at the store. OTOH. There is no reason
    not to download all pictures. Each time you download with Nikon View
    (you do have Nikon View right?) the download goes in a new folder).
    Select, mix, do whatever you want on the computer and when you get a
    lot save them to a CD. You can also manipulate the pictures on a
    computer save to a CD and take the CD to the store to print the
    pictures.

    > Anyone know where to get one of those key fob memory things that normally
    > come in 128 / 256 etc and go in the USB port but this one I am asking for
    > plugs in the USB port and you stick your SD card in it. My boss got one with
    > his camera - neat toy to take pictures from PC to PC.
    >
    > THANKS to all! Sorry so long - new to me.
    >
    > I like the camera so far - only had it a week. A lot of my shots were blurry
    > but I'm sure that's ME - not the camera - still learning it.
    >
    > Jim / NJ
    >
    > PS- My camera w/ a 256 card installed says 309 pictures. A friend said no
    > way - I must have it set to way too low a res? I have it on normal (2048?).
    > Isn't that 3.2 MP? What is the difference between that the high 2048? 2048
    > vs 2048 sounds the same to me? Again - I'm not that up on this stuff (yet).

    Yep, but you quality setting may not be that high. Go for Fine which
    is 1:4 compression.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "George E. Cawthon" <> wrote in message news:<>...
> [...]

    > > Anyone know where to get one of those key fob memory things that normally
    > > come in 128 / 256 etc and go in the USB port but this one I am asking for
    > > plugs in the USB port and you stick your SD card in it. My boss got one with
    > > his camera - neat toy to take pictures from PC to PC.
    > >
    > > THANKS to all! Sorry so long - new to me.
    > >
    > > I like the camera so far - only had it a week. A lot of my shots were blurry
    > > but I'm sure that's ME - not the camera - still learning it.
    > >
    > > Jim / NJ
    > >
    > > PS- My camera w/ a 256 card installed says 309 pictures. A friend said no
    > > way - I must have it set to way too low a res? I have it on normal (2048?).
    > > Isn't that 3.2 MP? What is the difference between that the high 2048? 2048
    > > vs 2048 sounds the same to me? Again - I'm not that up on this stuff (yet).

    > Yep, but you quality setting may not be that high. Go for Fine which

    George,
    THANK you VERY much for the information.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 9, 2004