Cookies

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dan C, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or
    computer to Firefox 1.0.7 on second?

    If so how?

    Dan C
    Dan C, Nov 4, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dan C

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Nov 4, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 11/04/2006 09:44 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>
    >> If so how?
    >>
    >> Dan C

    >
    > Copy
    >
    > cookies.txt
    > hostperm.1
    >


    These files are in the profile folder: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile


    --
    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 5, 2006
    #3
  4. Dan C

    SteveG Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>
    >> If so how?
    >>
    >> Dan C

    >
    > Copy
    >
    > cookies.txt
    > hostperm.1
    >

    Ed,

    Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
    Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both computers.
    With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each cookie is
    stored separately - albeit in the same folder.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Nov 5, 2006
    #4
  5. Dan C

    Ed Mullen Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>>
    >>> If so how?
    >>>
    >>> Dan C

    >>
    >> Copy
    >>
    >> cookies.txt
    >> hostperm.1
    >>

    > Ed,
    >
    > Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
    > Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both computers.
    > With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each cookie is
    > stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
    >


    Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
    have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
    indeed, what the OP needs.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    UnHallmark Card: How could two people as beautiful as you ... have such
    an ugly baby?
    Ed Mullen, Nov 5, 2006
    #5
  6. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > SteveG wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> Dan C wrote:
    >>>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >>>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>>>
    >>>> If so how?
    >>>>
    >>>> Dan C
    >>>
    >>> Copy
    >>>
    >>> cookies.txt
    >>> hostperm.1
    >>>

    >> Ed,
    >>
    >> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
    >> Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both
    >> computers. With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each
    >> cookie is stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
    >>

    >
    > Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
    > have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
    > indeed, what the OP needs.
    >


    A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both
    computers, both are xp pro.
    Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was
    wondering where cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was
    really wanting information on copying a specific cookie
    set from one cookie.txt to another. Why? Example: My
    wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I don't
    want to load her program to have to read it. And I think
    it is crazy to pay another subscription. So I though that
    I could go into her cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT
    cookie stuff and paste it into mine. I don't see why it
    would not work, on the face of it. But I am probably
    missing something that I know nothing about.

    There you have it, more flesh for the bones.

    Dan
    Dan C, Nov 6, 2006
    #6
  7. Dan C

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> SteveG wrote:
    >>> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>> Dan C wrote:
    >>>>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >>>>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If so how?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Dan C
    >>>>
    >>>> Copy
    >>>>
    >>>> cookies.txt
    >>>> hostperm.1
    >>>>
    >>> Ed,
    >>>
    >>> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
    >>> Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both
    >>> computers. With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each
    >>> cookie is stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
    >> have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
    >> indeed, what the OP needs.
    >>

    >
    > A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both computers, both are xp
    > pro.
    > Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was wondering where
    > cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was really wanting information on
    > copying a specific cookie set from one cookie.txt to another. Why?
    > Example: My wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I don't
    > want to load her program to have to read it. And I think it is crazy to
    > pay another subscription. So I though that I could go into her
    > cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT cookie stuff and paste it into mine.
    > I don't see why it would not work, on the face of it. But I am probably
    > missing something that I know nothing about.
    >
    > There you have it, more flesh for the bones.
    >
    > Dan


    Make backup copies of cookie files on both profiles. Open the
    cookies.txt files in Notepad or some other plain-text editor. Set word
    wrap off. Copy and paste the cookie info from your wife's file to
    yours. Save your file. See if it works.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
    Ed Mullen, Nov 6, 2006
    #7
  8. Dan C

    SteveG Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> SteveG wrote:
    >>>> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>>> Dan C wrote:
    >>>>>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
    >>>>>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> If so how?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Dan C
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Copy
    >>>>>
    >>>>> cookies.txt
    >>>>> hostperm.1
    >>>>>
    >>>> Ed,
    >>>>
    >>>> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer
    >>>> is Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both
    >>>> computers. With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as
    >>>> each cookie is stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE
    >>> does have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that
    >>> is, indeed, what the OP needs.
    >>>

    >>
    >> A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both computers, both are
    >> xp pro.
    >> Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was wondering where
    >> cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was really wanting information on
    >> copying a specific cookie set from one cookie.txt to another. Why?
    >> Example: My wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I
    >> don't want to load her program to have to read it. And I think it is
    >> crazy to pay another subscription. So I though that I could go into
    >> her cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT cookie stuff and paste it into
    >> mine. I don't see why it would not work, on the face of it. But I am
    >> probably missing something that I know nothing about.
    >>
    >> There you have it, more flesh for the bones.
    >>
    >> Dan

    >
    > Make backup copies of cookie files on both profiles. Open the
    > cookies.txt files in Notepad or some other plain-text editor. Set word
    > wrap off. Copy and paste the cookie info from your wife's file to
    > yours. Save your file. See if it works.
    >

    Yep, pretty sure that will work :)


    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Nov 6, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. GCS

    Cookies not blocked...

    GCS, Jul 23, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    990
  2. Gordon Abbot

    Problem with cookies at Staples site

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 1, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,080
    Gordon Abbot
    Dec 3, 2003
  3. =FLASH=

    1.5 problems with Cookies?

    =FLASH=, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    382
    =FLASH=
    Jan 30, 2004
  4. ratbob
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,129
    Electrick Gypsy
    May 31, 2004
  5. AK

    Good Cookies bad Cookies?

    AK, Oct 25, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    967
    Computer Guy
    Oct 26, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page