Cookies and IE Privacy Keeper?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    I dual booted between XP and Vista Ultimate 64 for a very long time,
    now moving hard drives around has caused me to do a fresh install of
    Vista 64 on the new hard drive and I've got a weird problem....

    My only version of Vista ran IE Privacy Keeper and it worked with no
    problems, the new install of Vista does not.

    I'm unable to use the "Keep Selected Cookies" feature because my old
    Vista install kept Cookies in:

    Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

    and the new install keeps Cookies in:

    Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low

    Naturally, IE Privacy Keeper won't show cookies and changing the
    Locations section in IE Privacy Keeper doesn't fix the problem, when I
    click on the "View" link after the "Keep Selected Cookies" link (on the
    IE tab) I still see the \Cookies folder rather than the \Cookies\Low
    folder. Modifying the settings.iepk file doesn't seem to help either.

    Anyone know what's going on? Why does one install of Vista keep
    cookies in a different folder than a later install does?
    XS11E, Aug 6, 2007

  2. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Update, was: Cookies and IE Privacy Keeper?

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > old Vista install kept Cookies in:
    >
    > Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
    >
    > and the new install keeps Cookies in:
    >
    > Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low

    Looks like I was completely wrong as to what was happening. I logged
    onto my old Vista install and found that the creation of the ...\Low
    folder is from some IE update, my old Vista install had the ...\Cookies
    folder with the cookies I'd told IE Privacy Keeper to retain but it
    also had the ...\Low folder with EVERY DANG COOKIE I'd encountered
    since installing whatever update it was.

    So it looks like I'm going to either learn to live with CCleaner or try
    to find what update to IE 7 caused the cookies to be moved to the \Low
    folder since IE Privacy Keeper can't see that folder for some reason?

    XS11E, Aug 6, 2007

  3. Re: Update, was: Cookies and IE Privacy Keeper?

    the Low folder is one of those new things. Sigh.

    Best solution I know is to get in the habit of regularly clearing all stored
    content, including cookies.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2007
  4. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > the Low folder is one of those new things. Sigh.
    >
    > Best solution I know is to get in the habit of regularly clearing
    > all stored content, including cookies.

    I was, the update broke that, danggit! I've removed IE Privacy Keeper
    and installed CCleaner. I don't like it as well but it works with the
    updates so all is OK again.

    I've emailed the IE Privacy Keeper folks and should have a response
    sometime in the next 5 years... <sigh>

    XS11E, Aug 7, 2007
  5. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > the Low folder is one of those new things. Sigh.

    I've got IE Privacy Keeper working again but I'm not happy with the
    fix.

    IE7 is now storing cookies in:
    C:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low

    I deleted the "Low" folder but, of course, it came right back so I
    tried turning off UAC and deleting the "Low" folder, it works, IE
    Privacy Keeper is working just fine now but I can't turn UAC back on.

    I'd MUCH rather have IE Privacy Keeper than I would UAC so it's off
    until a fix is found. I've written several times to:

    http://www.unhsolutions.net/support.html

    telling them what I've found but I've not heard back from them. Others
    tell me they're pretty slow to respond but I've got my fingers
    crossed....

    I figure I've lived TRSDOS, DOS, Windows 3.0 etc., etc. w/o UAC so I
    might as well live w/o it now but I *do not* recommend turning UAC off
    to others.

    XS11E, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Re: Update, was: Cookies and IE Privacy Keeper?

    No, I won't turn off UAC. But since I haven't got anything I use that they
    haven't found a workaround for, not an issue.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2007