cookie handling - is there a list of *necessary* cookies ??

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by cookie-monster, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...

    some sites won't work without cookies
    but the cookie isn't always obvious

    er... the question would be clearer with an example:

    take hotmail.com

    the minimum number of cookies needed is 3

    hotmail.msn.com
    login.pasport.net
    passport.com

    not immediately obvious, and worked out by experiment

    is there a list anywhere of sites with "non-obvious" cookies
    and the entries they need ??

    looking on google seems to only produce a lot of pages
    with "what is a cookie ?" definitions and general rants
    agianst their use...

    cookie-monster, Mar 4, 2005

  2. cookie-monster

    Big Will Guest

    cookie-monster wrote:
    > thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
    >
    > some sites won't work without cookies
    > but the cookie isn't always obvious
    >
    > er... the question would be clearer with an example:
    >
    > take hotmail.com
    >
    > the minimum number of cookies needed is 3
    >
    > hotmail.msn.com
    > login.pasport.net
    > passport.com
    >
    > not immediately obvious, and worked out by experiment
    >
    > is there a list anywhere of sites with "non-obvious" cookies
    > and the entries they need ??
    >
    > looking on google seems to only produce a lot of pages
    > with "what is a cookie ?" definitions and general rants
    > agianst their use...

    I dunno about that, but if you are set to allow cookies, then you can
    see what sites have cookies installed simply by viewing your cookie manager.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, Mar 5, 2005