cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains ??

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by cookie-monster, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
    and is of arguable importance anyway

    I have set Firefox to block all cookies
    except those I am select to allow -
    most of which are "Allow For Session"

    er... the question would be clearer with an example:

    take a site like yahoo.com -
    a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
    mail.yahoo.com
    games.yahoo.com
    profiles.yahoo.com
    < and so on >

    when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
    is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
    which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
    sub-domains - *.yahoo.com

    or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

    cookie-monster, Mar 4, 2005

  2. cookie-monster

    Big Will Guest

    Re: cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains??

    cookie-monster wrote:
    > thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
    > and is of arguable importance anyway
    >
    > I have set Firefox to block all cookies
    > except those I am select to allow -
    > most of which are "Allow For Session"
    >
    > er... the question would be clearer with an example:
    >
    > take a site like yahoo.com -
    > a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
    > mail.yahoo.com
    > games.yahoo.com
    > profiles.yahoo.com
    > < and so on >
    >
    > when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
    > is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
    > which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
    > sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
    >
    > or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

    I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
    same question several times in the same ng.

    Big Will, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Re: cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains??

    Big Will wrote:
    > cookie-monster wrote:
    >
    >> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
    >> and is of arguable importance anyway
    >>
    >> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
    >> except those I am select to allow -
    >> most of which are "Allow For Session"
    >>
    >> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
    >>
    >> take a site like yahoo.com -
    >> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
    >> mail.yahoo.com
    >> games.yahoo.com
    >> profiles.yahoo.com
    >> < and so on >
    >>
    >> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
    >> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
    >> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
    >> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
    >>
    >> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

    > I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
    > same question several times in the same ng.

    The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
    mistake.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 5, 2005
  4. cookie-monster

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Big Will wrote:
    >
    >> cookie-monster wrote:
    >>
    >>> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
    >>> and is of arguable importance anyway
    >>>
    >>> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
    >>> except those I am select to allow -
    >>> most of which are "Allow For Session"
    >>>
    >>> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
    >>>
    >>> take a site like yahoo.com -
    >>> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
    >>> mail.yahoo.com
    >>> games.yahoo.com
    >>> profiles.yahoo.com
    >>> < and so on >
    >>>
    >>> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
    >>> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
    >>> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
    >>> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
    >>>
    >>> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

    >> I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
    >> same question several times in the same ng.

    > The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
    > mistake.
    >
    > Lee

    or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
    the same question but uses a different example).

    Big Will, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Re: cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains??

    Big Will wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Big Will wrote:

    >>> I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
    >>> same question several times in the same ng.

    >> The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
    >> mistake.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
    > the same question but uses a different example).

    Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy! ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Re: cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains??

    >> or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
    >> the same question but uses a different example).

    > Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy! ;)

    well, actually, if you want the exclusive...

    I sent 2 DIFFERENT questions - written in the same format

    if you think they are the same question,
    perhaps you need to re-read them

    one question got posted twice under 2 ids -
    the duplicate copy of which I sent a Cancel message on,
    within a minute or so of it being sent...

    I refuse to make an argument out of something so trivial

    have a nice day :)

    cookie-monster, Mar 5, 2005
  7. cookie-monster

    cookie-monster wrote:
    >>> or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which
    >>> asks the same question but uses a different example).

    >> Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy! ;)

    > well, actually, if you want the exclusive...
    >
    > I sent 2 DIFFERENT questions - written in the same format
    >
    > if you think they are the same question,
    > perhaps you need to re-read them
    >
    > one question got posted twice under 2 ids -
    > the duplicate copy of which I sent a Cancel message on,
    > within a minute or so of it being sent...
    >

    > I refuse to make an argument out of something so trivial
    >
    > have a nice day :)

    ahh. IC. kk.

    Big Will, Mar 5, 2005