    since the last backup, could make such a hamfisted job of backing up its i-
    devices
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/how-ios-backups-can-devour-your-ssd/8549>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 28, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Re: Conway's Law?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > Odd that the same company that could produce Time Machine, with its ability
    > to avoid using additional disk space to record data that hasn't changed
    > since the last backup, could make such a hamfisted job of backing up its i-
    > devices
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/how-ios-backups-can-devour-your-ssd/8549>.

    Odd that this person managed to get backups that big. They must have an
    awful lot of application-specific data on their iOS devices.

    I have a 32 GB iPhone, 32 GB iPad and previously owned a 16 GB iPod
    Touch. The iPhone and iPad are more than half full, but the iPod Touch
    was mostly empty when I last used it.

    My ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup folder currently has
    two backups each for the iPod Touch and iPhone, and one for the iPad.
    Total size of the folder is just under 1 GB, about 800 MB of which is
    the current backup of the iPhone and another 150 MB for the current
    backup of the iPad. The others are tiny.

    iTunes doesn't back up media loaded onto the device via iTunes, nor
    applications installed on the device, since they are already in the
    iTunes library. It only backs up settings and data files from
    applications installed on the iOS device.

    iTunes keeps one backup per iOS device, per major version of the iOS
    (which is why I have two backups for some devices - one from iOS 3 and
    one from iOS 4; the old one can be deleted if I never intend to
    downgrade to the old version again, but they are tiny so I don't care).

    The inability to easily move the backups to a different location is a
    valid complaint, but if the author really has something in the order of
    50 GB of data in applications on their iOS devices that doesn't exist in
    the iTunes library, then iTunes will want to keep a backup copy of it.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 28, 2010