    something to DVD.
    I'd rather not buy a product pack that will only do a marginal job at
    best.

    Rich, May 31, 2006

  2. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 17:02:22 -0400, Rich <> wrote:

    >I been wanting to do this for some time as certain movies have
    >not yet hit DVD, but the system I initially tried it on couldn't
    >handle the data rate and produced garbled results. Anyone know
    >if there is a minimum system required for this to work well?
    >The idea would be to feed the VHS output to a capture card of
    >some kind, burn it to the hard drive then transfer it via Nero or
    >something to DVD.
    >I'd rather not buy a product pack that will only do a marginal job at
    >best.

    It depends on the capture device and wether or not you need
    to change formats.

    If you're going to leave it in the same format as the capture device
    then a P2 is sufficient. Otherwise go with the fastest CPU
    can afford. Usually there's a point where there are diminishing
    returns. Obviously paying twice as much for 20% more performance
    isn't a good deal.

    AZ Nomad, May 31, 2006

  3. Rich

    Sid9 Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 May 2006 17:02:22 -0400, Rich <> wrote:
    >

    >> I been wanting to do this for some time as certain movies have
    >> not yet hit DVD, but the system I initially tried it on couldn't
    >> handle the data rate and produced garbled results. Anyone know
    >> if there is a minimum system required for this to work well?
    >> The idea would be to feed the VHS output to a capture card of
    >> some kind, burn it to the hard drive then transfer it via Nero or
    >> something to DVD.
    >> I'd rather not buy a product pack that will only do a marginal job at
    >> best.

    > It depends on the capture device and wether or not you need
    > to change formats.
    >
    > If you're going to leave it in the same format as the capture device
    > then a P2 is sufficient. Otherwise go with the fastest CPU
    > can afford. Usually there's a point where there are diminishing
    > returns. Obviously paying twice as much for 20% more performance
    > isn't a good deal.

    I'm also trying to input VHS video and burn to a DVD.

    The capture file format is MPG (MP2)

    I've done that successfuly and the video plays fine on Windows Media Player
    on my computer

    I understand I need additional software to convert the captured file to DVD
    format

    Can you help?

    Sid9, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:31:35 -0400, Sid9 <> wrote:

    >I'm also trying to input VHS video and burn to a DVD.

    >The capture file format is MPG (MP2)

    >I've done that successfuly and the video plays fine on Windows Media Player
    >on my computer

    >I understand I need additional software to convert the captured file to DVD
    >format

    >Can you help?

    Can you operate a search engine like google and come up with strings like
    "video capture mpeg2"?

    All you do is connect the video and audio outputs of the VCR to your video
    capture device. The plextor convertx is a fine example of an external
    device that will compress to mpeg4 in hardware. Hauppauge makes some fine
    devices that will compress to mpeg2 which is probably a better idea if your
    goal is to burn DVDs.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Rich

    Sid9 Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:31:35 -0400, Sid9 <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm also trying to input VHS video and burn to a DVD.

    >> The capture file format is MPG (MP2)

    >> I've done that successfuly and the video plays fine on Windows Media
    >> Player on my computer

    >> I understand I need additional software to convert the captured file
    >> to DVD format

    >> Can you help?

    > Can you operate a search engine like google and come up with strings
    > like "video capture mpeg2"?
    >
    > All you do is connect the video and audio outputs of the VCR to your
    > video capture device. The plextor convertx is a fine example of an
    > external device that will compress to mpeg4 in hardware. Hauppauge
    > makes some fine devices that will compress to mpeg2 which is probably
    > a better idea if your goal is to burn DVDs.

    Yes, Thank you for your response.

    I have an AVMedia Technologies video capture card

    I have connected both my VCR and my satellite receiver and successfully
    captured video in the MP2 format.

    I need the CODEC that converts the MP2 file to a format suitable for burning
    on to a DVD.

    Sid9, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Rich

    Tippi Guest

    Sid9 wrote:
    > I need the CODEC that converts the MP2 file to a format suitable for burning
    > on to a DVD.

    It's not a "CODEC". You need Authoring software to create the files
    which makes up a DVD (that can be played on a regular DVD player.)

    NeroVision Express is quite easy to use. If your files are not in the
    right format it will convert it for you. The menus are easy to create
    too. You can buy OEM copies of Nero 6 on eBay for less than $10.

    If you already have an Authoring software which expects the right
    format of files, get TMPGenc which will create the right kind of MP2
    files.

    Tippi, Jun 1, 2006
  7. Rich

    Sid9 Guest

    Tippi wrote:
    > Sid9 wrote:
    >> I need the CODEC that converts the MP2 file to a format suitable for
    >> burning on to a DVD.

    > It's not a "CODEC". You need Authoring software to create the files
    > which makes up a DVD (that can be played on a regular DVD player.)
    >
    > NeroVision Express is quite easy to use. If your files are not in the
    > right format it will convert it for you. The menus are easy to create
    > too. You can buy OEM copies of Nero 6 on eBay for less than $10.
    >
    > If you already have an Authoring software which expects the right
    > format of files, get TMPGenc which will create the right kind of MP2
    > files.

    TNX...I'll check it out!

    Much appreciate your response

    Sid9, Jun 2, 2006