Converting VHS to DVD: Some questions

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gregory Bailey, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. I have some VHS and 8mm tapes ... mostly stuff of the kids, family
    gatherings, etc., that I've shot, nothing pre-recorded ... that I want to
    convert to DVD. My main reason for doing this is that our current VCR, which
    is in a Sanyo DVD/VCR combo unit, on which we still periodically watch some
    of these tapes, is about to give up the ghost and I'm not inclined to repair
    it, and I'd like to continue to be able to watch the videos that are on
    these tapes. I'm also looking at doing this because of space considerations
    and for archiving purposes. FYI, I'm not going to throw the VHS tapes away
    after I do the conversions because I know with evolving technology there'll
    be better and more durable and more secure means of archiving in the future.

    My inclination is to do this with a standalone DVD recorder instead of using
    my computer to do it. At present I do not have a DVD burner on my computer
    .... I am going to take care of that ASAP, given how reasonable they've
    gotten, more to be able to archive more data than anything else ... and I do
    not think that I have the proper video card either. I have done some
    homework on the Internet and I think that I could get a handle on the
    technology for doing it on my computer quite easily. I am very experienced
    in, and sorry to blow my own horn but I think I'm quite good at, working
    with audio and have used about all the major ripping, burning, sound
    enhancement, etc., softwares ... for example, when I wanted to buy a digital
    audio player, I refused to buy the ubiquitous iPod because it won't play my
    compressed audio format of choice, which is Ogg Voorbis ... and it can't be
    that much different in the grand scheme of things. However, I'm just not
    really interested in working with video other than what it will take to
    convert these tapes, so I'm not really inclined to put stuff on my computer
    that I won't use after I finish doing this.

    My inclination is also not to go with a combo DVD recorder/VHS unit, but to
    go with a separate DVD recorder and get another VHS player and patch them
    together.

    I am not looking to spend a mint on a DVD recorder, but I don't want an
    ultra cheapo unit that will give up the ghost after 90 days, either. I'm
    willing to pay a decent price for decent quality.

    Can anyone give me any recommendations for standalone DVD recorders that
    might accomplish what I'd like for it to do?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Gregory Bailey, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Gregory Bailey

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Get a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. Copy the VHS tapes to the hard drive and edit them to fit on a DVDs. With a Panasonic you can select the amount of compression you want. You can record and play at the same time. You will never go back to tape.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Nov 8, 2005

  3. On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:29:43 GMT, "Gregory Bailey"
    <> wrote:

    >My inclination is to do this with a standalone DVD recorder instead of using
    >my computer to do it.

    Capture cards are a lot more problematic and complicated and often
    more expensive than using a recorder. At least for the simple transfer
    of VHS to DVD.

    >At present I do not have a DVD burner on my computer
    >... I am going to take care of that ASAP, given how reasonable they've
    >gotten, more to be able to archive more data than anything else ...

    Good idea. They are about 40 bucks a pop now.

    >My inclination is also not to go with a combo DVD recorder/VHS unit, but to
    >go with a separate DVD recorder and get another VHS player and patch them
    >together.

    Yes... more flexable

    >I am not looking to spend a mint on a DVD recorder, but I don't want an
    >ultra cheapo unit that will give up the ghost after 90 days, either. I'm
    >willing to pay a decent price for decent quality.

    In that case go down to Walmart and get Pioneer DVR-220-s for 180
    bucks. Well built with excellent features.

    >Can anyone give me any recommendations for standalone DVD recorders that
    >might accomplish what I'd like for it to do?

    see above

    Serial # 19781010, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Gregory Bailey

    Bob Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone give me any recommendations for standalone DVD recorders that
    >might accomplish what I'd like for it to do?

    Panasonic at WalMart or Best Buy. Around $60. You can get a crappy VCR
    for a little less but it is not going to give you the service.

    I would stay away from anything else in the low cost category because
    it is junk. Panasonic is good equipment even at low cost.

    --

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"
    --Ben Franklin

    Bob, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Gregory Bailey

    Bob Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone give me any recommendations for standalone DVD recorders that
    >might accomplish what I'd like for it to do?

    Dammit! I misread that statement and recommended a VCR because you
    said it was about dead.

    OK, so you want an inexpensive DVDR. I recommend the ILO DVDR05MU (not
    the ZU) at WalMart for $99. You have to look on the box for the serial
    number and it will either have MU or ZU. Get the MU. Do NOT get the
    ZU.

    Get Verbatim DVD +RW (erasable) at Sam's Club for around $1 each in 30
    pack. Do not get Imation, MemorWrecks, Maxell, or any other brand. ILO
    Tech Support recommends *only* Verbatim.

    Format the RW discs before using. I do a full erase on my computer
    with Nero, but you said you did not have a burner. You need to get one
    so you can do some fancy authoring. I recommend the NEC ND-3540A for
    $40 (directron.com or newegg.com). Put it on the secondary master IDE
    channel.

    Use Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD +R (write once) discs for about $40 per 100
    (rima.com) or $35 per 200 (supermediastore.com). Or you can use
    Verbatim +R 16x from Sam's Club. Burn at 12x, not 16x. The difference
    in burn time is negligible and you will not be pushing the ragged
    edge.

    You can use -R discs in the 3540 (not the ILO), but I am told that the
    3540 likes +R better because test scans look cleaner. Another
    advantage of +R is you can use them with the ILO if you want to make
    permanent recordings and not use erasable discs.

    Recap:

    Panasonic VCR (WalMart) - $60
    ILO DVDR05MU (WalMart) - $100
    NEC ND-3540A (Directron or Newegg) - $40
    Verbatim 4x DVD +RW (Sam's) - $30
    Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD +R (Rima) -$40
    Verbatim 16x DVD +R (Sam's) - $40

    Each of these items come highly recommended by people on the DVD
    forums, like CDFreaks, et al.

    Bob, Nov 9, 2005