    without the option screen that was there with the original install. I want
    to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with Win98.
    Anybody know a simple way to do this?
    Asterix, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Asterix

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:20:05 +1300, Asterix wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I had win95 and win XP on my hard drive. I partitioned it into 3 segments,
    > Win95, using FAT on the first, and XP using NTFS on the second two.
    > I then reformated the first segment with Win98.
    > So, I can not see the other two segments, I no longer have my Windows XP
    > CD,, and the machine will not boot into XP as it goes straight to 98,
    > without the option screen that was there with the original install. I want
    > to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with Win98.
    > Anybody know a simple way to do this?

    Using your startup disk you can use fdisk to delete the ntfs partitions,
    and then format them to fat32
    I'm curious why you can no longer boot the XP partitions, as all you need
    is ntldr boot.ini and shit I forget the third file, but they only have to
    be in the root folder of C:\
    (Google tells me ntdetect.com is the third file)

    Oh and.. to make a startup disk..
    http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
    An excellent feature of Windows 98/ME is its boot diskette. Using Windows
    to create you a Windows 98 boot diskette will give you all the needed
    files as well as CD-ROM support. To create a Windows 98 boot diskette
    click Start / Settings / Control Panel / double click the Add Remove
    programs icon / click the Startup Disk and create disk.

    --
    Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories.
    -- Donn Seeley
    Shane, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Asterix

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:35:16 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > I'm curious why you can no longer boot the XP partitions, as all you need
    > is ntldr boot.ini and shit I forget the third file, but they only have to
    > be in the root folder of C:\
    > (Google tells me ntdetect.com is the third file)

    Rereading your post and its all clear now :)
    Before you format the ntfs partitions I'd look into replacing the three
    files (you'll have to customise the boot.ini) and see ifn yer cant fix0r
    it
    (Assuming youre still the legal Licensee of course)

    --
    Phasers locked on target, Captain.
    Shane, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Asterix

    Asterix Guest

    Do you mean using a win98 boot disk?
    I have tried that - using fdisk, but it is not working
    While, it is seeing the ntfs partition it is not letting me do anything with
    it.
    What I am trying to do, is convert it back to FAT as I want to use 98, not
    XP

    Cheers

    Asterix, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Asterix

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:06:11 +1300, Asterix wrote:

    > Do you mean using a win98 boot disk?
    > I have tried that - using fdisk, but it is not working
    > While, it is seeing the ntfs partition it is not letting me do anything with
    > it.
    > What I am trying to do, is convert it back to FAT as I want to use 98, not
    > XP
    >
    > Cheers
    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:20:05 +1300, Asterix wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I had win95 and win XP on my hard drive. I partitioned it into 3

    > segments,
    >> > Win95, using FAT on the first, and XP using NTFS on the second two.
    >> > I then reformated the first segment with Win98.
    >> > So, I can not see the other two segments, I no longer have my Windows XP
    >> > CD,, and the machine will not boot into XP as it goes straight to 98,
    >> > without the option screen that was there with the original install. I

    > want
    >> > to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with

    > Win98.
    >> > Anybody know a simple way to do this?

    Delete non-dos partitions
    Ive deleted ext3 reisersfs, ntfs, and UFS partitions in this way
    You have to delete them before you can turn them into FAT partitions,
    there is no NTFS -> FAT conversion, only FAT -> NTFS

    --
    If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have
    given up being a rock 'n' roll star.
    Shane, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Asterix

    Rider Guest

    "Asterix" <> wrote in message
    > Do you mean using a win98 boot disk?
    > I have tried that - using fdisk, but it is not working
    > While, it is seeing the ntfs partition it is not letting me do anything
    > with
    > it.
    > What I am trying to do, is convert it back to FAT as I want to use 98, not
    > XP

    I don't believe you can convert backwards, without formatting the
    partitions. Not unless someone has seen some software I haven't.
    Rider, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Asterix

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in news:Vjxnf.7854$vH5.391199
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I don't believe you can convert backwards, without formatting the
    > partitions. Not unless someone has seen some software I haven't.

    PQMagic has this option. Of course you lose tons of stuff because of ADS
    and MFT.
    But it did start the process and looked like if I had left it running, it
    would have completed. I didn't need the data so I just deleted the
    partitions and created news ones. Much faster than the 6 or so hours the
    progress bar told me I had to go... IIRC...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Asterix

    steve Guest

    Asterix wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I had win95 and win XP on my hard drive. I partitioned it into 3
    > segments, Win95, using FAT on the first, and XP using NTFS on the second
    > two. I then reformated the first segment with Win98.
    > So, I can not see the other two segments, I no longer have my Windows XP
    > CD,, and the machine will not boot into XP as it goes straight to 98,
    > without the option screen that was there with the original install. I want
    > to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with
    > Win98. Anybody know a simple way to do this?

    Boot a KNoppix live CD and copy the contents of the NTFS partition to
    something else......and then repartition the drive and reformat the freed
    space as FAT.

    That assumes you have some media (CD-R / DVD-R / tape / temporary HD) you
    can copy the files to.......assuming you want to keep them.
    steve, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Asterix

    Asterix Guest

    Thanks all for the hints

    I dont want any data that is on the ntfs partitions, I just want to reformat
    them to FAT
    My problem is that in Win98, the OS is not reading them, so I can't use a
    simple DOS format command.
    Using FDISK on a win98 boot-up disk I also cant do anything, I try to do
    something and it says it can't do it while a logical drive is on the
    extended drive, so I choose the option to delete the logical drive and it
    says there isn't one!
    So I then try and delete the partition, and it says again there is one! It
    is so frustrating!
    All I want is a simple way to reformat the partions
    Any easy tips?

    Cheers

    Asterix, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Asterix

    Malcolm Guest

    Asterix wrote:

    > Thanks all for the hints
    >
    > I dont want any data that is on the ntfs partitions, I just want to
    > reformat them to FAT
    > My problem is that in Win98, the OS is not reading them, so I can't use a
    > simple DOS format command.
    > Using FDISK on a win98 boot-up disk I also cant do anything, I try to do
    > something and it says it can't do it while a logical drive is on the
    > extended drive, so I choose the option to delete the logical drive and it
    > says there isn't one!
    > So I then try and delete the partition, and it says again there is one! It
    > is so frustrating!
    > All I want is a simple way to reformat the partions
    > Any easy tips?
    >
    > Cheers
    > steve <> wrote in message
    >> Asterix wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I had win95 and win XP on my hard drive. I partitioned it into 3
    >> > segments, Win95, using FAT on the first, and XP using NTFS on the
    >> > second two. I then reformated the first segment with Win98.
    >> > So, I can not see the other two segments, I no longer have my Windows
    >> > XP CD,, and the machine will not boot into XP as it goes straight to
    >> > 98, without the option screen that was there with the original install.

    > want
    >> > to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with
    >> > Win98. Anybody know a simple way to do this?

    >> Boot a KNoppix live CD and copy the contents of the NTFS partition to
    >> something else......and then repartition the drive and reformat the freed
    >> space as FAT.
    >>
    >> That assumes you have some media (CD-R / DVD-R / tape / temporary HD) you
    >> can copy the files to.......assuming you want to keep them.

    Hi
    Try using Partiion Manager at http://www.ranish.com/part/ to delete the
    offending extended partitions or relabel to FAT32.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Asterix

    David Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Thanks all for the hints
    >
    > I dont want any data that is on the ntfs partitions, I just want to reformat
    > them to FAT
    > My problem is that in Win98, the OS is not reading them, so I can't use a
    > simple DOS format command.
    > Using FDISK on a win98 boot-up disk I also cant do anything, I try to do
    > something and it says it can't do it while a logical drive is on the
    > extended drive, so I choose the option to delete the logical drive and it
    > says there isn't one!
    > So I then try and delete the partition, and it says again there is one! It
    > is so frustrating!
    > All I want is a simple way to reformat the partions
    > Any easy tips?
    >
    > Cheers

    Try BootitNG, I've had success with it many times, it fits on a floppy
    and understands NTFS.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
    David, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Asterix

    Asterix Guest

    Success!!

    Thanks to everyone that helped.
    I tried the BootitNG program and it worked a treat!
    A great little program.
    Thanks again

    Cheers

    Asterix, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Asterix

    Jerry Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Thanks all for the hints
    >
    > I dont want any data that is on the ntfs partitions, I just want to reformat
    > them to FAT
    > My problem is that in Win98, the OS is not reading them, so I can't use a
    > simple DOS format command.
    > Using FDISK on a win98 boot-up disk I also cant do anything, I try to do
    > something and it says it can't do it while a logical drive is on the
    > extended drive, so I choose the option to delete the logical drive and it
    > says there isn't one!
    > So I then try and delete the partition, and it says again there is one! It
    > is so frustrating!
    > All I want is a simple way to reformat the partions
    > Any easy tips?
    >
    > Cheers
    > steve <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Asterix wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I had win95 and win XP on my hard drive. I partitioned it into 3
    >>>segments, Win95, using FAT on the first, and XP using NTFS on the second
    >>>two. I then reformated the first segment with Win98.
    >>>So, I can not see the other two segments, I no longer have my Windows XP
    >>>CD,, and the machine will not boot into XP as it goes straight to 98,
    >>>without the option screen that was there with the original install. I

    > want
    >
    >>>to convert the last two segements back to FAT so I can use them with
    >>>Win98. Anybody know a simple way to do this?

    >>Boot a KNoppix live CD and copy the contents of the NTFS partition to
    >>something else......and then repartition the drive and reformat the freed
    >>space as FAT.
    >>
    >>That assumes you have some media (CD-R / DVD-R / tape / temporary HD) you
    >>can copy the files to.......assuming you want to keep them.

    There is a microsoft utility called delpart that will kill an ntfs partition
    Jerry, Dec 14, 2005