    easy If you don't want to save any of the files on the drive...... but I am
    not sure how to do it.
    -Thanks for Any Help

    buck, Nov 21, 2005

  2. buck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "buck" <> wrote in
    news:9613d$43814a6d$45037f1c$:

    > I'm sure that this is pretty basic stuff to most everyone here.....
    > but not to me. I am running XP Home Edition and have an "external"
    > USB2, Maxtor 40GB hard drive. When I first got the external drive I
    > converted it from FAT32 to NTFS and everything is fine. Now, what I
    > want to do is to "wipe the external drive" complete and convert it
    > back to the FAT32 just the way it was pre-formatted when I got it. I
    > noticed that if I right click on the external drive in My Computer and
    > then click format, it only shows NTFS as an option and not
    > FAT32....... I figure that the solution probably is pretty easy If you
    > don't want to save any of the files on the drive...... but I am not
    > sure how to do it. -Thanks for Any Help

    Your friend and mine is Google.

    http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1820

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2005

  3. buck

    buck Guest

    Duane.... thanks for the link. There has to be some way to get the "eternal
    hard drive" which came pre-loaded with FAT32 back to the FAT32. It was
    suggested to me that maybe I could hook the external drive up to a Windows
    98SP machine and then format the external drive there, which would re-set it
    back to FAT32..... but I am not sure it will work... comments??

    buck, Nov 21, 2005
  4. buck

    Fakename Guest

    FYI: "convert" and "format" mean entirely seperate things here.

    I think everyone here assumed you wanted to keep the data already on the
    drive. But if you can afford to lose that data then you can format the
    device, under Windows 2K/XP, as Fat32.

    You only have to try to mess around with converting the drive if you
    want to keep the data on it.

    To format, open the Computer Management MSC, go to "disk management",
    right click on the partition and select "format". Then select Fat32 as
    the file system.

    You can get to the Computer Management MSC several ways, one of which is
    to run "compmgmt.msc" from the Start>Run command box.

    Fakename, Nov 21, 2005
  5. buck

    VWWall Guest

    buck wrote:
    > Duane.... thanks for the link. There has to be some way to get the "eternal
    > hard drive" which came pre-loaded with FAT32 back to the FAT32. It was
    > suggested to me that maybe I could hook the external drive up to a Windows
    > 98SP machine and then format the external drive there, which would re-set it
    > back to FAT32..... but I am not sure it will work... comments??

    As has been suggested, you can re-format the drive to FAT32 in
    WindowsXP's Computer Management. A problem is that WinXP will not allow
    you to format FAT32 partitions over 32GB. The XP OS will work fine with
    larger partitions, but apparantly Microsoft wanted to encourage the use
    of NTFS for larger partitions. The solution is to use a Win98 start-up
    floppy with FORMAT.EXE on it. The original FORMAT.EXE had problems with
    larger drives, bur 40GB is OK.

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Nov 21, 2005
  6. buck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "buck" <> wrote in

    > Duane.... thanks for the link. There has to be some way to get the
    > "eternal hard drive" which came pre-loaded with FAT32 back to the
    > FAT32. It was suggested to me that maybe I could hook the external
    > drive up to a Windows 98SP machine and then format the external drive
    > there, which would re-set it back to FAT32..... but I am not sure it
    > will work... comments??

    You can just use Partition Magic or maybe some other free partition tool
    and delete the partition off the HDD and that will wipe it out and
    partition it again.

    You can burn a CD. I have never used the partition stuff but it's there.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    You can then use the *Format* command at the Command Prompt.

    Long

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
    -us/format.mspx

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/5lobc

    I don't know about all this running back to Win 98 to format the drive to
    FAT32 when you can do it on XP. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2005
  7. buck

    buck Guest

    > To format, open the Computer Management MSC, go to "disk management",
    > right click on the partition and select "format". Then select Fat32 as
    > the file system.

    Thanks for your help.... The problem is when I select format as you
    stated..... Fat32 is not an option.... only NTFS.
    So, I still can't figure out how to "format" this external drive.

    I loaded the external drive onto a Windows98SE computer with appropriate
    drivers and the external drive icon came up in the tray but it says no
    drives installed which makes me think that maybe Win98SE can't even list the
    drive if it is NTFS..... but could be wrong about this.....but there is no
    sign of this drive anywhere on the computer.

    buck, Nov 21, 2005
  8. buck

    buck Guest

    I probably am not making myself clear here... Sorry, My fault. In a
    nutshell, I purchased an external 40GB Maxtor Hard drive....... It comes as
    FAT32...... I have WinXP so formatted it to NTFS and now I can't find a way
    to get it back to FAT32 to use on a Win98SE machine. I don't need to save
    any of the files. I see nothing in WinXP that will let me wipe it out and
    format to FAT32.... None of the disk management and related places show
    options for FAT32 only NTFS.

    buck, Nov 21, 2005
  9. buck

    Plato Guest

    buck wrote:

    > I probably am not making myself clear here... Sorry, My fault. In a
    > nutshell, I purchased an external 40GB Maxtor Hard drive....... It comes as
    > FAT32...... I have WinXP so formatted it to NTFS and now I can't find a way

    If it comes partitioned as FAT32, then why are you asking how to "get it
    back to FAT32"?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 21, 2005
  10. buck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "buck" <> wrote in

    > I probably am not making myself clear here... Sorry, My fault. In a
    > nutshell, I purchased an external 40GB Maxtor Hard drive....... It
    > comes as FAT32...... I have WinXP so formatted it to NTFS and now I
    > can't find a way to get it back to FAT32 to use on a Win98SE machine.
    > I don't need to save any of the files. I see nothing in WinXP that
    > will let me wipe it out and format to FAT32.... None of the disk
    > management and related places show options for FAT32 only NTFS.
    >

    > "buck" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm sure that this is pretty basic stuff to most everyone here.....
    >> but not
    >> to me. I am running XP Home Edition and have an "external" USB2,
    >> Maxtor 40GB hard drive. When I first got the external drive I
    >> converted it from FAT32 to NTFS and everything is fine. Now, what I
    >> want to do is to "wipe the external drive" complete and convert it
    >> back to the FAT32 just the way it was pre-formatted when I got it.
    >> I noticed that if I right click on the
    >> external drive in My Computer and then click format, it only shows
    >> NTFS as an option and not FAT32....... I figure that the solution
    >> probably is pretty
    >> easy If you don't want to save any of the files on the drive......
    >> but I am
    >> not sure how to do it.
    >> -Thanks for Any Help

    Like I told you, you need to use one of the utilites like Partition Magic
    or one of the others and delete the partition off of HDD and THAT will
    delete the filesystem and the files off of it. Or you can use FDISK on
    Win 9'x or DISKPART command on XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q300415

    Again, your friend and mine is Google.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2005
  11. buck

    buck Guest

    After plugging the external drive into a Win98SE computer and using some
    different drivers and device settings I now have FAT32 back
    on it. I apprecitate everyones help here for taking time to help......
    Sorry I was so imprecise and dense.
    -Really Appreciate it!!

    buck, Nov 21, 2005
  12. buck

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    buck wrote:
    >>To format, open the Computer Management MSC, go to "disk management",
    >>right click on the partition and select "format". Then select Fat32 as
    >>the file system.

    > Thanks for your help.... The problem is when I select format as you
    > stated..... Fat32 is not an option.... only NTFS.
    > So, I still can't figure out how to "format" this external drive.
    >
    > I loaded the external drive onto a Windows98SE computer with appropriate
    > drivers and the external drive icon came up in the tray but it says no
    > drives installed which makes me think that maybe Win98SE can't even list the
    > drive if it is NTFS..... but could be wrong about this.....but there is no
    > sign of this drive anywhere on the computer.

    I made 3 partitions on a 200G disk ,primary 1GB 16bit for DOS6.22 ,
    an extended partition of 32GB FAT32 for win89, and there i found
    out that this partition must be 32GB or smaller ,(i tried 2
    extended 100Gb partitions first),else XP only offers NTFS.
    The remaining space went to NTFS for XP.
    This was for a removble IDE harddisk.(in a Super track databridge unit).
    In your case,make a primary of 20gb and an extended one for the
    remainder.
    I am (almost) sure that XP will offer you the FAT32 option.
    It will then show up as two drives.

    Sjouke Burry, Nov 21, 2005