    now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now part of
    Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them. Can
    anyone suggest a solution?
    Ed Mullikin, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Ed Mullikin

    Jim Guest

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    news:ZgA1l.59022$...
    > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
    > Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    > photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
    > work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now part
    > of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them. Can
    > anyone suggest a solution?

    My Nikon Coolscan does a very good job of scanning a slide and creating
    whatver format of a digital image I desire.
    It may be that some flatbed scanners also do good jobs.
    I have successfully scanned Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, and Kodachrome 200
    with the Coolscan IV.
    Jim
    Jim, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Ed Mullikin

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:48:39 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

    > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer
    > One Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to
    > digital photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing
    > seems to work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer
    > is now part of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate
    > with them. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    You might try a new or refurbished, inexpensive flatbed scanner from the
    Epson online store. I've had excellent results with the ones made to do
    slides/negatives using both MS and Linux.
    ray, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <nxA1l.9652$>,
    > "Jim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    >> > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer
    >> > One
    >> > Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    >> > photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
    >> > work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now
    >> > part
    >> > of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them.
    >> > Can
    >> > anyone suggest a solution?

    >> My Nikon Coolscan does a very good job of scanning a slide and creating
    >> whatver format of a digital image I desire.
    >> It may be that some flatbed scanners also do good jobs.
    >> I have successfully scanned Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, and Kodachrome 200
    >> with the Coolscan IV.
    >> Jim

    > Ditto. For prints I scan with a Canon 8600F and get excellent results
    > (IMHO).

    A little confusion here on my part. Prints I can scan fine with either of
    my two scanners.
    My Visioneer flatbed scanner that I used for slides has a mask with a hole
    to fit the 2 X 2 inch slides. When converting the slides the cover had a
    light in it that shown through the mask while the scanner moved beneath it.
    It has been so long ago that I do not remember all of the details and
    apparently the Nuance software no longer works with my scanner or possibly
    the Vista Home OS. I don't want to buy a new scanner for this one shot
    favor so I guess that I am stuck.
    Ed Mullikin, Dec 16, 2008
  5. Ed Mullikin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:48:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

    > It has been so long ago that I do not remember all of the details and
    > apparently the Nuance software no longer works with my scanner or
    > possibly the Vista Home OS. I don't want to buy a new scanner for
    > this one shot favor so I guess that I am stuck.

    If the problem is due to incompatibility with Vista, you could use
    a multi or dual boot manager to add your previous version of Windows
    and remove it after scanning the slides or leave it installed for
    future use. There are free versions and I found two here very
    quickly using google. There are probably more free versions to be
    found as well as several commercial products. There are links to
    both product's home pages, and they appear to be quite good based on
    the listed endorsements.

    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=238817&messageID=2433843
    ASAAR, Dec 16, 2008
  6. Ed Mullikin

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote
    > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
    > Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    > photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
    > work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome.

    I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. The NikonScan
    software simply wouldn't work in XP so my old LS1000 slide scanner was
    effectively useless. Solved by using Vuescan by Hamrick, which seems to work
    with just about any scanner ever made. Does a better job than the original
    software as well.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Dec 16, 2008
  7. Ed Mullikin

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    > "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote
    >> This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
    >> Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    >> photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
    >> work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome.

    > I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. The NikonScan
    > software simply wouldn't work in XP so my old LS1000 slide scanner was
    > effectively useless. Solved by using Vuescan by Hamrick, which seems to work
    > with just about any scanner ever made. Does a better job than the original
    > software as well.
    >
    > Paul

    I would second that - and you can trial Vuescan for nothing - just visit
    www.hamrick.com. The Visioneer 8900 series is listed, but there are
    some provisos with older scanners so that's not a 100% gurantee. So try it.

    As a bonus, you will almost certainly get more control over the scanner,
    but at the cost of learning new software.
    Mark Thomas, Dec 16, 2008
  8. Ed Mullikin

    Guest

    On Dec 15, 4:48 pm, "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote:
    > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
    > Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    > photos.  Now. a friend wants their slides converted.  Nothing seems to work
    > now.  I've changed my OS to XPHome.  Apparently Visioneer is now part of
    > Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them.  Can
    > anyone suggest a solution?

    I have gotten very good slide scans from an Epson V700, look for on on
    the Epson clearance center. A second choice would be an Epson V500
    though from my experience it is not quite as good.
    If your scanner is covered by VueScan it is a good alternative.
    The best and most expensive way to go is a dedicated slide scanner, I
    wouldn't buy used 'cause some of the new flatbeds are better than old
    slide scanners.

    Tom
    , Dec 16, 2008
  9. Ed Mullikin

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer
    > One Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to
    > digital photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing
    > seems to work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer
    > is now part of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate
    > with them. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    There are a number of flatbed scanners that have transparency adapters
    that do slides fine. My Microtek does a fine job on slides. Canon makes
    some good ones.

    For a step up in price, a dedicated film scanner will do an even better job.
    Don Stauffer, Dec 16, 2008
  10. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >> This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
    >> Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
    >> photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
    >> work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now
    >> part of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them.
    >> Can anyone suggest a solution?

    > There are a number of flatbed scanners that have transparency adapters
    > that do slides fine. My Microtek does a fine job on slides. Canon makes
    > some good ones.
    >
    > For a step up in price, a dedicated film scanner will do an even better
    > job.

    I see that I am probably getting in over my head and I know just enough to
    be dangerous. I'm going to give the lady her slides back with my apologies.
    I just had the one use for the task. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Ed Mullikin, Dec 17, 2008