    scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
    with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joe Viola, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Joe Viola

    Trax Guest

    Joe Viola <> wrote:

    |>Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
    |>scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
    |>them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
    |>scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
    |>with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

    You insert jpg's into a DOC file.

    You view jpg's with http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    Hubble DVD's - Free downloads
    http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/archive/topic/dvd//

    Trax, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Joe Viola

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Joe Viola wrote:
    > Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
    > scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
    > them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
    > scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
    > with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

    As you have discovered, scanning a document does not convert it to an
    editable form, but just as an image or picture of the document.

    Many scanners come with an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program,
    such as OminiPage or the like. These programs look at the image, and
    with varying success, convert the image to editable text.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Joe Viola

    Mitch Guest

    In article <l%Lkf.36117$>, Joe
    Viola <> wrote:

    > Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
    > scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
    > them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
    > scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
    > with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    As you are learning, a scanner can only make images.
    A text file is not an image. You can't open an image and read the image
    contents as words.

    You need an OCR program -- optical character recognition. It is used to
    process the image looking for text characters to output to a file. Keep
    in mind you will need to help it along VERY often.

    Mitch, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Joe Viola

    DC Guest

    Joe Viola wrote:
    > Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
    > scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
    > them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
    > scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
    > with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

    > Thanks

    May I highly recommend (for Windows): http://www.simpleocr.com/

    It's freeware.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

    DC, Dec 5, 2005