    Chris

    --
    A One That Isn't Cold, Is Scarcely A One At All -- Strong Bad
    Chris Kotchey, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Chris Kotchey wrote:

    > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

    Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
    all the pc oriented heartache and headache.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Chris Kotchey

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Chris Kotchey

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/18/2004 9:28:11 PM, Notan wrote:

    > Darrel Christenson wrote:
    >>
    >> Chris Kotchey wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

    >> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
    >> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
    >>
    >> drc :)

    > How 'bout something like:
    >
    > http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_Movie_Writer_dc3000/4514-3205_16-30471178.html?

    It looked like maybe a good idea until I read the user comments.

    I think a settop box with a hard drive would probably be the way to go.
    --
    "Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a clothes
    hanger while I was still in the womb?"

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Chris Kotchey

    Notan Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > On 6/18/2004 9:28:11 PM, Notan wrote:
    >
    > > Darrel Christenson wrote:

    > >> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
    > >> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
    > >>
    > >> drc :)

    > > How 'bout something like:
    > >
    > > http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_Movie_Writer_dc3000/4514-3205_16-30471178.html?

    > It looked like maybe a good idea until I read the user comments.
    >
    > I think a settop box with a hard drive would probably be the way to go.

    Wow! I didn't bother to scroll down... Thanks for bring it to my attention!

    There are a few other similar units on the market, although their names
    escape me.

    It seems like a great idea, *if* it worked!

    Notan
    Notan, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Chris Kotchey

    Ban Guest

    Chris Kotchey wrote:
    > I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when
    > it comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
    >
    > I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
    > was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So,
    > I have a few questions for recommendations:
    >
    > - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
    > red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
    > - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to
    > process the video, and
    > - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
    > writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
    >
    > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    Unlike most answers here I encourage you to do it with the computer, you can
    edit your films much better, add nice stereo-sound and do not loose any
    quality as long as you stay with the avi-files. The most important and
    expensive part is to transfer the analog files into digital.
    I play it from my old Hi-8 equipment and record with my DV-recorder
    or -camera. Then I use the firewire to transfer into the computer using
    Nero6 which came with my DVD-drive. Editing is best done in Premiere or
    similar program, here u should rather invest into something semi-pro.
    Otherwise buy the retail DVD-burner, not the bulk version, since it should
    contain all necessary software for coding to mpeg2 and author the DVD.

    --
    ciao Ban
    Bordighera, Italy
    Ban, Jun 19, 2004
  7. On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:28:11 GMT, Notan <> wrote:

    >Darrel Christenson wrote:
    >>
    >> Chris Kotchey wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

    >> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
    >> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
    >>
    >> drc :)

    >How 'bout something like:
    >
    >http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_Movie_Writer_dc3000/4514-3205_16-30471178.html?

    Damn, read the reviews....
    Bill Reynolds, Jun 19, 2004
  8. Chris Kotchey

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Chris Kotchey wrote:

    > I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
    > comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
    >
    > I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
    > was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
    > have a few questions for recommendations:
    >
    > - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
    > red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
    > - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
    > the video, and
    > - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
    > writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
    >
    > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    My method is to capture the Hi8 or VHS through my capture card (BtCap
    based). The software I use is Ulead Movie Factory 2, or Video Studeo 7
    which allows me to capture either as MPEG1, MPEG2 or DVD formats in
    realtime. The system used is a P4-2.53 with 512 meg RAM.

    For DVD writers my preference is the Pioneer range, with LG a close second.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Chris Kotchey

    DontHaveOne Guest

    Chris,

    I've been doing this for a while now. I have a Sony Hi-8 camera and
    I'm very pleased with the video. I got a capture card (AverMedia card
    I don't remember the exact model AverTV Stereo? but I only spent $50
    for it at CompUSA) I wanted to capture television shows from my Dish
    Network satellite system. It hooks up to the Dish Network box with a
    S-Video cord and stereo RCA plugs. I was capturing television shows
    from this setup with no problem and noticed that my Sony Hi-8 camera
    has the same outputs. So one day I hooked the Sony camera up to the
    computer and it worked just great. Everything I've read says that you
    should go with the S-Video cord for the best quality (one of the
    reasons I went with the Hi-8 format in the first place) on your video
    signal.

    I was using the built in video capture software that came with the
    AverMedia card. I was happy with it. You need to do some tweaking with
    the settings to come up with good DVD quality though. Usually what I
    did was go in and set up a Customized capture. Then I could set the
    bit rate to the quality setting that I wanted or needed. If I wanted
    to fit about 4 hour long TV shows on a disk I'd record at about 3000
    Kbits/s if I wanted really high quality or the video tape has a lot of
    fast movement I'd record at 8000 Kbits/s which would give me less than
    2 hours on a disk. With the Sony Hi-8 you can capture at native DVD
    resolution of 720x480 and there is no problem. I think the Sony Hi-8
    format is really only 640x480 but I haven't noticed any problems
    capturing at 720x480.

    I then "upgraded" to PowerVCR II in the process it knocked all of the
    AverMedia codecs out and messed things up for AverMedia. I do the same
    thing with PowerVCR II but I'm not quite as happy with it for a
    variety of reasons.

    I then use Womble MPEG-VCR to cut out commercials, video footage that
    I don't want and put together the video in the order in which I want
    it. Womble mpeg-vcr is an excellent program for working (editing) mpg
    files (which are notoriously hard to edit with frame precision.)

    I sometimes capture at a higher bit rate than I want to use on the
    finished DVD. In those cases if I want to fit the highest quality on
    the disk I will use DVD2AVI to frameserve the MPG-2 file to a file
    form that TMPGEnc can handle and then I'll use TMPGEnc (the encoder
    not the DVD Author program) to encode the file to the exact bit rate
    that I want. (Example: I'll capture a 2 hour Hi-8 video at 8000
    Kbits/s then I'll do the editing and on the video to make it the exact
    file length that I want, then I'll go back with TMPGEnc and re-encode
    it to 5680 Kbits/s (for example) to exactly fill up a DVD.)

    After the video is in the shape that I want it I will use TMPGEnc DVD
    Author to make the DVD with menus, chapters etc. I'm very happy with
    TMPGEnc DVD Author. Some folks on this forum don't seem to like it.
    But I've tried Sonic MyDVD Studio and it messed up the sound something
    terrible (by the end of a 2 hour movie DVD the voice and lips were
    noticably out of sync.) Sonic might have corrected this with the
    upgrade that they put out but I've downloaded it but haven't installed
    it yet. TMPGEnc DVD Author just works. You have to put up with some
    limitations on what you can do (you don't have great latitude on the
    layout for example.) But I don't find this too limiting at this time,
    maybe I will in time but I also don't have $500 to spend on the DVD
    authoring software packages that will give me all of that control.

    I then burn it with Nero Buring ROM. TMPGEnc DVD Author has a DVD
    burning application built-in but I have used and like Nero 5.5 alot so
    I stick with what I know works (you'll get folks on this forum who
    also don't like Nero for burning video but it works for me and I've
    got it so see no need to get something else.)

    I use DVD-R disks for sharing the disks they seem to have the widest
    playability. I got a Memerox 4X -R/RW +R/RW DVD burner so I can burn
    most things (can't burn the DVD-RAM disks but I don't know why you'd
    want to.) I'd recommend that you get a player that will play the
    DVD-RW disks, I'll normally write to RW first then check it out on the
    player to make sure everything looks ok then I'll finalize it to a -R
    disk (at a $1-$2 per disk I don't like making any more coasters than I
    have to.)

    For more help and a great resource I'd take a look at

    http://www.videohelp.com/

    They have reviews of video capture cards, software and lots of How to
    articles.

    For the software take a look at alt.binaries.multimedia.utilities and
    alt.binaries.warez.

    I like the control and the learning on doing video on my computer
    that's why I do it this way. If you don't want to do it this way then
    you should probably take Darrel Christenson's advice and just pay
    $400-$500 for a set top DVD recorder (just do it their way.)

    I hope this gives you a little bit of information and advice on how
    one person does it.

    DontHaveOne, Jun 19, 2004
  10. Chris Kotchey

    Buchetamo Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Kotchey wrote:
    >
    > > I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
    > > comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
    > >
    > > I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
    > > was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
    > > have a few questions for recommendations:
    > >
    > > - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
    > > red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
    > > - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
    > > the video, and
    > > - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
    > > writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
    > >
    > > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > My method is to capture the Hi8 or VHS through my capture card (BtCap
    > based). The software I use is Ulead Movie Factory 2, or Video Studeo 7
    > which allows me to capture either as MPEG1, MPEG2 or DVD formats in
    > realtime. The system used is a P4-2.53 with 512 meg RAM.
    >
    > For DVD writers my preference is the Pioneer range, with LG a close

    second.

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Fartus, you're not longer Oldus but Obsoletus & Ancientus... get on the ball
    Farti, get Video Studio 8!!
    Buchetamo, Jun 20, 2004
  11. Chris Kotchey

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Buchetamo wrote:

    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Chris Kotchey wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
    >>>comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
    >>>
    >>>I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
    >>>was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
    >>>have a few questions for recommendations:
    >>>
    >>>- What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
    >>>red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
    >>>- What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
    >>>the video, and
    >>>- more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
    >>>writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
    >>>
    >>>I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Chris
    >>>

    >>My method is to capture the Hi8 or VHS through my capture card (BtCap
    >>based). The software I use is Ulead Movie Factory 2, or Video Studeo 7
    >> which allows me to capture either as MPEG1, MPEG2 or DVD formats in
    >>realtime. The system used is a P4-2.53 with 512 meg RAM.
    >>
    >>For DVD writers my preference is the Pioneer range, with LG a close

    > second.
    >
    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>Oldus Fartus

    > Fartus, you're not longer Oldus but Obsoletus & Ancientus... get on the ball
    > Farti, get Video Studio 8!!

    Yep, point taken. I am going to upgrade my system over the next couple
    of months, and later versions of all my Ulead products will be installed
    then.

    How does Video Studio 8 differ from 7?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 20, 2004
  12. Chris Kotchey

    CLS Guest

    Have recently started converting all our home videos to dvd. The plextor
    convertx m402u($140.00) inputs video from your vcr or camera via
    composite(yellow-white-red) or s-video cables to usb port and encodes it all
    at the same time. It comes with software to author and burn to dvd or vcd,
    but I prefer TMPGEnc DVD Author.

    CLS, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Chris Kotchey

    stankley Guest

    Chris Kotchey <> wrote in message news:<ELNAc.96925$>...
    > I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
    > comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
    >
    > I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
    > was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
    > have a few questions for recommendations:
    >
    > - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
    > red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
    > - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
    > the video, and
    > - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
    > writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
    >
    > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    If you have a digital camcorder, they almost always have a passthru
    feature which converts analog to DV (without needing to go to tape).
    Then you're going to need some capture software. And an MPEG encoder.
    And a video editor. And a burner. And some writer software. And a
    big hard drive (DV is 13Gb/hour). And a decent CPU. And a lot of
    time and patience!
    stankley, Jun 23, 2004