Converting from DSL to Cable without downtime

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LurfysMa, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. LurfysMa

    LurfysMa Guest

    I have a small business (2 people, 2 computers, p2p lan) in a home
    office. We are currently running Windows 2000 with Office 2000 plus a
    few business apps (Quicken, QuickBooks, TimeSlips, and Time Matters).
    We have our own domain and use Outlook for email.

    Our computers are leased. They are 4 years old and need to be
    replaced. When we first signed this lease, the leasing company was
    also providing internet access (DSL). They have since discontinued
    that service, so we also need to find our own internet provider.

    I believe our DSL service is through XO & Covad. I think one of them
    is the actual DSL line and the other is the ISP, but I'm not sure. I
    don't get a bill from either -- it's included in our lease payment.
    The DSL service was pretty good at first (4 years ago), but recently,
    it's been only so-so.

    So, I am facing several upgrades and I have several questions. I would
    appreciate any pointers or suggestions such as on the order to do them
    in and which providers to go for.

    1. Is Comcast broadband a good alternative to DSL? I already have
    Comcast cable TV. Is it generally true that cable broadband is better
    than DSL?

    2. It seems to me that I should complete the DSL upgrade first and
    then upgrade the computers. Does that make sense? That way I don't
    have to install DSL on the new computers and then upgrade to cable.

    3. Can I have the DSL service and the new cable service running at the
    same time? I would like to minimize the downtime.

    4. Email. I believe our email is handled by Critical Path. That was
    also pretty good initially, but has been mediocre to poor recently. As
    I understand it, that is completely separate from the ISP and
    broadband. Can Comcast also take over my email service using my own
    domain? Should I do that after I chage ISP and broadband providers?

    5. What should I do to ensure that no email is lost and so that it
    isn't out of service?

    Thanks

    --
    For email, use

    LurfysMa, Oct 18, 2005

  2. LurfysMa

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, LurfysMa
    <> wrote:

    > 1. Is Comcast broadband a good alternative to DSL? I already have
    > Comcast cable TV. Is it generally true that cable broadband is better
    > than DSL?

    That's been my experience. But there are variables that could make a
    DSL service as good.

    > 2. It seems to me that I should complete the DSL upgrade first and
    > then upgrade the computers. Does that make sense? That way I don't
    > have to install DSL on the new computers and then upgrade to cable.

    Doesn't make any sense in any way.
    I don't know of any software needed for either kind of service, and I
    wouldn't suggest installing anything until you know what it is.
    On the other hand, if your OS needs updating, do whatever it recommends.

    > 3. Can I have the DSL service and the new cable service running at the
    > same time? I would like to minimize the downtime.

    You can have them both set up, but you'd switch between them.

    > 4. Email. I believe our email is handled by Critical Path. That was
    > also pretty good initially, but has been mediocre to poor recently. As
    > I understand it, that is completely separate from the ISP and
    > broadband.

    Your ISP almost certainly offers (and created) an address for you.

    > Can Comcast also take over my email service using my own
    > domain?

    E-mail for a domain you operate is handled by YOU. Set up your mail
    program to access it. No one else is involved.
    Your ISP is simply _access_ to the internet.

    > Should I do that after I chage ISP and broadband providers?

    Nothing to do with it, unless one of those is your hosting company.
    How you get access doesn't have any effect on what is going on in a
    domain you own or the addresses or e-mail there.

    > 5. What should I do to ensure that no email is lost and so that it
    > isn't out of service?

    As long as you are a customer, you'll be able to use their e-mail
    services. You won't be able to use the address when you cancel.

    Mitch, Oct 18, 2005

  3. LurfysMa

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    Setup should be simple.
    You mentioned that you have a P2P network.
    The only software you should be concerned with is the Firewall and AV.
    Other than that, you will most likely change your TCP/IP configuration to
    whatever your new Internet Service Provider sets up (gateway
    IP/DHCP/DNS/etc..)

    Updating your PCs is unrelated to your ISP change. You can do that anytime.
    For the apps you are running, you may not need to replace your current PC's.
    Unless you have machines rated below 1GHz, reinstalling the OS and apps with
    additional memory should do the job.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Oct 19, 2005
  4. LurfysMa

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:01:49 -0700, LurfysMa <>
    wrote:

    >1. Is Comcast broadband a good alternative to DSL? I already have
    >Comcast cable TV. Is it generally true that cable broadband is better
    >than DSL?

    I wouldn't touch Comcast with a 10 foot pole. They are creating a
    landfill. I get one or 2 of those "DSL SUCKS! GO WITH CABLE!" color
    ads in my mail every week.

    And I laugh whenever I hear a ad of how cable is so much faster than
    DSL, and then "Maximum download speed of 4 megs per second". Funny, my
    DSL is 6 megs down. That to me is faster.

    Funny, you don't hear DSL commercials slamming cable. A cable
    connection is a shared line. DSL isn't.

    I'd go DSL anyday.

    Evan

    Evan Platt, Oct 19, 2005
  5. LurfysMa

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > And I laugh whenever I hear a ad of how cable is so much faster than
    > DSL, and then "Maximum download speed of 4 megs per second". Funny, my
    > DSL is 6 megs down. That to me is faster.

    Of ocurse it's faster. Is that service comparable in price to your
    local cable service? (Although cable rates seem to vary a lot, too, and
    I wouldn't guess you'd know what their speeds are.)
    Last time I checked DSL rates (2003) the major service offered 256, 512
    and 768 rates between something like 15/mo and 45/mo. Don't recall if
    they offered more.

    > Funny, you don't hear DSL commercials slamming cable. A cable
    > connection is a shared line. DSL isn't.

    Good God! You really don't?
    Everywhere I've been they fight each other's claims routinely!

    And DSL always slams the same claim -- that cable is a shared line.
    It's misleading and has very little significance.
    They always miss what I think is a much more significant benefit --
    that DSL service is scalable, so you can pay as much as you think is
    important to you.

    Mitch, Oct 19, 2005