    still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to convert them to
    digital?

    thanks
    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    > negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    > convert them to digital?

    Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?

    Did I miss the point...

    Dominic
    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    > Rifleman wrote:
    > > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    > > negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    > > convert them to digital?

    > Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    >
    > Did I miss the point...
    >
    > Dominic

    Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    3.5 million pixel camera.....)
    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Rifleman

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:57:08 +0100, "Rifleman" <> wrote:

    >"Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >> Rifleman wrote:
    >> > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    >> > negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    >> > convert them to digital?

    >> Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    >>
    >> Did I miss the point...
    >>
    >> Dominic
    >>

    >Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    >would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    >3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    Yes, that will work.
    Unk, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >> Rifleman wrote:
    >>> I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    >>> negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    >>> convert them to digital?

    >> Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?

    > Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera
    > though, would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution
    > be OK? (It's a 3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    To be honest my recommendation would be to invest in a basic scanner for
    your photos. You can get Canon branded ones for £36 including VAT on
    http://www.ebuyer.com these days, and even less if you're really strapped
    for cash. They will reproduce your image more accurately than you will be
    able to by taking pictures of them (and also come in handy for
    faxing+photocopying!)

    Dominic
    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Rifleman

    Jim Wilhelm Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    > > Rifleman wrote:
    > > > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    > > > negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    > > > convert them to digital?

    > > Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    > >
    > > Did I miss the point...
    > >
    > > Dominic
    > >

    > Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    > would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    > 3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    As one who does this for a living (I work at a newspaper where we scan lots
    of photographs for publication), no I would not really recomend taking a
    photograph of a photograph. If you don't care a dink about quality, go ahead
    and try it, but you probably won't like the results. Flatbed scanners for
    home use are quite cheap and quality you get is well worth it. Try Epson or
    Cannon to start when you go shopping for scanners. We use the High end Epson
    for most of our work connected via Firewire since speed is very important
    too.
    Jim Wilhelm, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    "Jim Wilhelm" <> wrote in message

    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > > "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?

    > > Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera

    though,
    > > would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's

    > > 3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    > As one who does this for a living (I work at a newspaper where we scan

    lots
    > of photographs for publication), no I would not really recomend taking a
    > photograph of a photograph. If you don't care a dink about quality, go

    ahead
    > and try it, but you probably won't like the results. Flatbed scanners for
    > home use are quite cheap and quality you get is well worth it. Try Epson

    or
    > Cannon to start when you go shopping for scanners. We use the High end

    Epson
    > for most of our work connected via Firewire since speed is very important
    > too.

    Out of interest, what proportion of press photographers use digital cameras
    now? I've noticed more and more at press conferences they seem to, but I
    know the one for the local paper doesn't.

    Dominic
    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Rifleman

    John Holmes Guest

    Unk came up with this:

    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:57:08 +0100, "Rifleman" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    >>>
    >>> Did I miss the point...
    >>>
    >>> Dominic
    >>>

    >>Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera
    >>though, would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be
    >>OK? (It's a 3.5 million pixel camera.....)
    >>

    > Yes, that will work.

    Only if he has a steady hand.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the negatives
    > still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to convert them to
    > digital?
    >
    > thanks

    Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner then!
    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Dominic wrote:
    > "Jim Wilhelm" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Dominic" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...

    >>> Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera
    >>> though, would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution
    >>> be OK? (It's a
    >>> 3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    >> As one who does this for a living (I work at a newspaper where we
    >> scan lots of photographs for publication), no I would not really
    >> recomend taking a photograph of a photograph. If you don't care a
    >> dink about quality, go ahead and try it, but you probably won't like
    >> the results. Flatbed scanners for home use are quite cheap and
    >> quality you get is well worth it. Try Epson or Cannon to start when
    >> you go shopping for scanners. We use the High end Epson for most of
    >> our work connected via Firewire since speed is very important too.

    > Out of interest, what proportion of press photographers use digital
    > cameras now? I've noticed more and more at press conferences they
    > seem to, but I know the one for the local paper doesn't.
    >
    > Dominic

    Full time press snappers - about 95% use digital.
    (for every-day work, that is)
    Most have both systems though, depends on what you're going to shoot!
    :)
    Bryan, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >> I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    >> negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    >> convert them to digital?

    > Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner
    > then!

    No problem - let us know the final result.

    Dominic
    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Rifleman

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:17:55 -0400, Unk <> scribbled:

    >On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:57:08 +0100, "Rifleman" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    >>>
    >>> Did I miss the point...
    >>>
    >>> Dominic
    >>>

    >>Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    >>would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    >>3.5 million pixel camera.....)
    >>

    >Yes, that will work.

    Only if you want shit quality.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Rifleman

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Rifleman posted:
    > "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >> Rifleman wrote:
    >>> I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    >>> negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    >>> convert them to digital?

    >> Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?
    >>
    >> Did I miss the point...
    >>
    >> Dominic
    >>

    > Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    > would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    > 3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    If you're going to do it that way, then use a decent heavy tripod, or one
    that's more stable than a stable thing, and try using different lighting
    techniques and 'shutter timings' (whatever the camera has) to see what works
    best. I don't think you'll get anywhere near as good quality as you'd get
    by just spending £50 and getting a cheap scanner ... ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks
    Paul - xxx, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Rifleman

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the

    negatives
    > > still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to convert them to
    > > digital?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner then!

    if you find the negatives, HP scanners have an optional negative adapter to
    scan negatives.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Rifleman

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Dominic wrote:
    >> "Jim Wilhelm" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rifleman" <> wrote in message

    >>> As one who does this for a living (I work at a newspaper where we
    >>> scan lots of photographs for publication), no I would not really
    >>> recomend taking a photograph of a photograph. If you don't care a
    >>> dink about quality, go ahead and try it, but you probably won't like
    >>> the results. Flatbed scanners for home use are quite cheap and
    >>> quality you get is well worth it. Try Epson or Cannon to start when
    >>> you go shopping for scanners. We use the High end Epson for most of
    >>> our work connected via Firewire since speed is very important too.

    >> Out of interest, what proportion of press photographers use digital
    >> cameras now? I've noticed more and more at press conferences they
    >> seem to, but I know the one for the local paper doesn't.
    >>
    >> Dominic

    > Full time press snappers - about 95% use digital.
    > (for every-day work, that is)
    > Most have both systems though, depends on what you're going to shoot!
    > :)

    Along the same lines, I was practically shocked recently when our
    advertising agency brought out a photographer for shooting a new product
    line, and his equipment was digital. This agency for years has had the top
    of the line equipment in scanners and swore by large format film, big
    prints, and meticulous color matching on the Macs. I was glad to see that
    they've accepted digital photography as now being up to the task.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Rifleman

    Toolman Tim Guest

    127.0.0.1 wrote:
    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the
    >>> negatives still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to
    >>> convert them to digital?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner
    >> then!

    > if you find the negatives, HP scanners have an optional negative
    > adapter to scan negatives.

    My Epson came with that too...very nice "extra", since my dad's 35mm
    collection is awesome. If I ever get a life, I'm gonna scan in some of his
    stuff for my personal screensavers...now that he's gone Mom would like those
    too.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Bryan wrote:
    >> Dominic wrote:
    >>> "Jim Wilhelm" <> wrote in message

    >>> Out of interest, what proportion of press photographers use digital
    >>> cameras now? I've noticed more and more at press conferences they
    >>> seem to, but I know the one for the local paper doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> Dominic

    >> Full time press snappers - about 95% use digital.
    >> (for every-day work, that is)
    >> Most have both systems though, depends on what you're going to shoot!
    >> :)

    > Along the same lines, I was practically shocked recently when our
    > advertising agency brought out a photographer for shooting a new
    > product line, and his equipment was digital. This agency for years
    > has had the top of the line equipment in scanners and swore by large
    > format film, big prints, and meticulous color matching on the Macs. I
    > was glad to see that they've accepted digital photography as now
    > being up to the task.

    Yep! It's the 10mp Cannon thingy that does it, methinks. :)
    Just waiting for the Nikon ver.
    --
    and the mrs's permission of course
    and the lotto win
    Bryan, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > 127.0.0.1 wrote:
    >> "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Rifleman" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner
    >>> then!

    >> if you find the negatives, HP scanners have an optional negative
    >> adapter to scan negatives.
    >>

    > My Epson came with that too...very nice "extra", since my dad's 35mm
    > collection is awesome. If I ever get a life, I'm gonna scan in some
    > of his stuff for my personal screensavers...now that he's gone Mom
    > would like those too.

    http://www.microtek.nl/Product.php?...72&PHPSESSID=8a5087d794f869e97ad58625cfc33876

    Your shorter link is:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2C532488

    ;)
    Bryan, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Rifleman

    John Guest

    In article <>, Rifleman <>
    wrote:

    > I have some photos from the early eighties (not sure whether the negatives
    > still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to convert them to
    > digital?

    Use a scanner.
    A scanner is a device which puts the image into a computer.

    You always need to edit the image briefly after you scan, but it's
    quite simple.
    John, Jun 9, 2004