    direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?

    Thanks.

    Martin
    Martin, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Martin

    JANA Guest

    What you want is not practical. Your corded phone is based on a different
    design to begin with. cordless phones are actually complex internally. They
    appear simple, because the complexity is all inside of the chip technology
    used.

    Go and get yourself a proper cordless phone.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    Hello,

    I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
    convert to cordless.

    I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.

    I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a specialty
    electronics shop.

    Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from corded
    to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right

    JANA, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Martin

    Doug Guest

    http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/la...8910&alt_img=&lg=True&m=False&webp_id=2031121
    Doug, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Martin

    Doug Guest

    "Doug" <> wrote in message
    | "Martin" <> wrote in message
    || Hello,
    || I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
    || convert to cordless.
    || I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.
    || I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a
    | specialty
    || electronics shop.
    || Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from
    | corded
    || to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
    || direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?
    || Thanks.
    || Martin

    Sorry. :)

    Seriously though try
    http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodirect/Shop?Dsp=30010&PCR=1:1:5:15:150:1040
    Doug, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    That's taking things literally, isn't it? LOL!

    I asked how to convert a corded phone to a cordless one, and you provided me
    with a time-tested method!!

    Seriously though, I clicked the second link, but didn't see any conversion
    kits. I presume it was intended to show me a selection of cordless phones.
    If that wasn't your intention, where exactly, by way of hyperlink, is the
    kit?

    In any case, thanks for the laugh on a Saturday morning.

    Who knows, but, if I become frustrated enough, I may use what was depicted
    in the JPG. LOL!

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Martin

    Doug Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    | That's taking things literally, isn't it? LOL!
    |
    | I asked how to convert a corded phone to a cordless one, and you provided
    me
    | with a time-tested method!!
    |
    | Seriously though, I clicked the second link, but didn't see any conversion
    | kits. I presume it was intended to show me a selection of cordless phones.
    | If that wasn't your intention, where exactly, by way of hyperlink, is the
    | kit?
    |
    | In any case, thanks for the laugh on a Saturday morning.
    |
    | Who knows, but, if I become frustrated enough, I may use what was depicted
    | in the JPG. LOL!
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Martin

    No these are wireless headsets designed to use with corded desk phones such
    as your Aastra/Nortel Meridian. Look again.
    Doug, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi Doug,

    Allow me to explain the situation regarding my wish to convert my corded
    phone to cordless.

    I connect to the Internet via a Siemens Speedstream 6520 DSL modem/router. I
    don't use the wireless option that it provides. Instead, I have a regular
    telephone cord running from the modem/router to a duplex coupler which is
    inserted in the wall jack. Running from the other half of the coupler is a
    telephone cord that plugs into the phone.

    Here's the problem. The static on the line is so severe that I lose
    connectivity with the Internet several times per hour. I do not have any
    filters on the modem/router cord, and I have one on the telephone cord to
    lessen the sound of static. My landline telco cannot find where the problem
    is. The best theory is that the line running from outside the building to
    the phone box in the basement is so old that water is seeping into it, thus
    causing the constant static and loss of connection.

    The static is sometimes so severe when I'm using the phone that I find it
    necessary to turn off my modem/router, which eliminates about 99% of the
    static.

    Due to my *previous* (no longer the case!) lack of understanding of the
    technology that Vonage uses, I explained my situation about static when I
    called Vonage the first time. The rep told me that Vonage bypasses my ISP
    and that static would not be a factor. Believing what he said, I became a
    Vonage customer, thinking that static would become an immediate thing of the
    past as far as static when using the phone was concerned.

    So....it turned out that the rep was poorly trained or lied. Now that I
    understand the technology, I realize that I need to use my ISP to connect to
    the Vonage network. The consequence is that the severe static causes me to
    lose my Vonage connection several times per hour. Additionally, when I am
    able to use it, my calls suffer from "dropped" words and periods of silence
    due to poor connectivity.

    In speaking with ATS (Advanced Tech Support), a rep suggested that I get a
    5.8 GHZ cordless phone that should be plugged directly into my Vonage
    device, thus avoiding the telephone jack and the problems with
    static/connectivity.

    Having used the Meridian phone for a number of years, and especially its
    speakerphone, I'm reluctant to buy a cordless phone due to cost, but most
    importantly based on principle. The Vonage rep was either poorly trained or
    outright lied, but Vonage won't allow me to terminate my service without
    having to pay disconnect/termination fees.

    Consequently, if there's an inexpensive way to convert my corded phone to a
    cordless one, then the static problem should be rectified.

    If an inexpensive "fix" doesn't exist, then I need to take pay Vonage to
    terminate my service or pursue a more aggressive approach in having the
    company take responsibility for what the sales rep said about static not
    being a problem.

    That's it as far as the reason for conversion!

    Thanks for your posts (including the scissors) and to anyone else who can
    think of a fix, even if it doesn't entail converting a corded phone to a
    cordless one.

    Best regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Martin

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-09, Martin <> wrote:

    [...]

    > That's it as far as the reason for conversion!
    >
    > Thanks for your posts (including the scissors) and to anyone else who can
    > think of a fix, even if it doesn't entail converting a corded phone to a
    > cordless one.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Martin

    Using a cordless phone instead of a corded one will make no difference at
    all to the problem you are having with the telephone line itself. That is
    what needs to be sorted out before any of the things that rely on it will
    work properly. The telephone company will have to send an engineer to
    your house to test the line from end to end, locate the fault, and repair
    it. Don't waste any more money or effort on things that have nothing to
    do with the problem and will never 'fix' it.

    If you have a broken leg, then no amount of money spent on hats or jackets
    will improve your mobility one bit. Attend to the leg.

    Converting a 'corded' phone to a 'cordless' one is not possible; the
    closest you can get is either to rip the insides out of the corded phone
    and replace them with the working parts of a cordless phone - so you end
    up with a brand new entirely different phone that looks rather like the
    old one - or you could create a wireless relay system between the fixed
    telephone socket and wherever you want the corded phone to be plugged in -
    which is rather pointless and probably very expensive and not provided
    for by any off-the-shelf gadgets I've ever heard of (what with telephone
    extension wire being so cheap and reliable).

    Cordless telephones often have a 'speakerphone' function built in to the
    handsets, so you won't have to lose that facility if ever you do decide
    to get a cordless phone - but get one for the right reasons :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 9, 2007