Converting color digital image to black & white

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark2149@cox.net, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    George DeWolfe in his new book (Digital Photography: Fine Print
    Workshop) suggests that you view the scene you wish to convert to black
    & white through a Wratten 90 filter. If the tones rendered there are
    satisfactory, then a simple desaturate operation in Photoshop will
    yield a good black & white image. Accepting that, what does one do if
    the viewing through the 90 filter does NOT yield a satisfactory black
    and white rendering? A simple desaturate will not yield an acceptable
    image. (The use of the 90 filter to visulize the B&W rendering of the
    scene was well known among silver-based photographers.)

    There are a number of alternative available third-party programs to
    convert the image to black & white, eg., BW workflow Pro, nik Color
    Efex Pro, Dr. Brown's Photostyler, Power Retouche B&W Studio plugin.
    Photokit, Mystical Tint & tone. I'm sure there are still others. You
    can also simply work on the individual RGB channels and then combine
    them in appropriate proportions with the Channel mixer. While this
    probably gives you greatest control, it can be a tedious and
    time-consuming process until much experience is accumulated.

    My question: What recommendations can you make for the B&W conversion
    operation? Thanks.

    , Nov 14, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > George DeWolfe in his new book (Digital Photography: Fine Print
    > Workshop) suggests that you view the scene you wish to convert to black
    > & white through a Wratten 90 filter. If the tones rendered there are
    > satisfactory, then a simple desaturate operation in Photoshop will
    > yield a good black & white image. Accepting that, what does one do if
    > the viewing through the 90 filter does NOT yield a satisfactory black
    > and white rendering? A simple desaturate will not yield an acceptable
    > image. (The use of the 90 filter to visulize the B&W rendering of the
    > scene was well known among silver-based photographers.)
    >
    > There are a number of alternative available third-party programs to
    > convert the image to black & white, eg., BW workflow Pro, nik Color
    > Efex Pro, Dr. Brown's Photostyler, Power Retouche B&W Studio plugin.
    > Photokit, Mystical Tint & tone. I'm sure there are still others. You
    > can also simply work on the individual RGB channels and then combine
    > them in appropriate proportions with the Channel mixer. While this
    > probably gives you greatest control, it can be a tedious and
    > time-consuming process until much experience is accumulated.
    >
    > My question: What recommendations can you make for the B&W conversion
    > operation? Thanks.

    Lightroom. Unfortunately, it's the third time it's come up today, and I
    don't want to shill for any single product, but it does have the best
    B+W converter I have seen. Moreover, all the adjustments are
    non-destructive, and can be set in place on the RAW image, so you can
    get 16 bit stuff into PS in balanced grayscale.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 14, 2006