    I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
    often.
    Thanks in advance.

    poddys, Aug 21, 2006

  2. poddys

    Guest

    i can offer a suggestion, but it involves dvd to compressed avi. ie,,,i
    can encode full dvd's to 600-900kb. it would thus involve an extra
    step.

    but if you can create dvd format from your avi clips,,,,,,,

    get dvdshrink. it's free. it's cool. it's easy. my dvd's are perfectly
    viewable at 50% compression on a monitor, but you can compress anywhere
    in between.

    then get pocketdivxencoder. even cooler. more customizable. i take the
    compressed .VOB files from dvdshrink and turn them into avi divx files.

    batman begins in high quality = 1gb
    other movies = 650-850mb. i play them all on my archos av500 and they
    are awesome. i think one minute is about 4-6mb, but i'm not sure.

    poddys wrote:
    > My new Canon A620 takes movies in AVI format. I would like to take my
    > movies in the highest quality for viewing locally, but I would also
    > like to reduce the quality (and size if necessary) so that I can email
    > them or set links to them on my web site for others to view.
    >
    > Even at the lowest quality settings the camera is generating a 4mb
    > movie every 10-15 seconds. Is there some good "ideally free" software
    > that will allow me to reduce the quality to make this possible?
    >
    > I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
    > often.
    > Thanks in advance.

    , Aug 21, 2006

  3. "poddys" <> wrote in message

    > My new Canon A620 takes movies in AVI format. I would like to take my
    > movies in the highest quality for viewing locally, but I would also
    > like to reduce the quality (and size if necessary) so that I can email
    > them or set links to them on my web site for others to view.
    >
    > Even at the lowest quality settings the camera is generating a 4mb
    > movie every 10-15 seconds. Is there some good "ideally free" software
    > that will allow me to reduce the quality to make this possible?
    >
    > I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
    > often.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Probably better asking on news:rec.video.desktop or www.videohelp.com on the
    web.

    Cheers Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Aug 21, 2006
  4. poddys

    poddys Guest

    Thanks - I don't mind if it's a couple of steps, but to end up with a
    smaller movie file would be great. I will give it a try...

    poddys, Aug 22, 2006
  5. poddys

    rcurzon Guest

    rcurzon, Aug 22, 2006
  6. poddys

    poddys Guest

    Windows Media Encoder works really smooth - something from MS that
    looks to do a good job - wow! Managed to create some small test video
    clips, it even increased the image size of one test nicely. Thanks for
    the suggestion - unless I find anything better I'm going with this.

    poddys, Aug 22, 2006