    way to go??And what about "Software" And is my machine good enough?(866mhz +
    368MB RAM+ 20GB HDD).Any helpfull advice would be greatly appreciated
    TIA

    ralphy, Aug 2, 2004

  2. ralphy

    Brian Guest

    "ralphy" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:maqPc.144$...
    > G'day
    > My old lady wants to put all her old family videos on to

    disk(DVD)

    +
    > 368MB RAM+ 20GB HDD).Any helpfull advice would be greatly appreciated
    > TIA

    first things first.
    1. bigger hard drive
    2. bigger processor
    3. Ram should be suffice (but more is never enough)

    come back with the software thing when you have bought the hardware..

    Brian, Aug 2, 2004

  3. ralphy

    Ionizer Guest

    "ralphy" <> wrote in message
    > G'day
    > My old lady wants to put all her old family videos on to

    disk(DVD)
    > and I'd like to have a go at doing it but I'm a bit of a novice.Can

    anyone
    > give advice on how to get started or at least what gear I'll need?

    Should I
    > use an internal "video Capture card",or is "External Capture box" the

    best
    > way to go??And what about "Software" And is my machine good

    enough?(866mhz +
    > 368MB RAM+ 20GB HDD).Any helpfull advice would be greatly appreciated
    > TIA

    I have done video processing and editing, and created VCDs on a PIII-500
    system with 384MB of RAM. It just takes a while- and don't ask your
    system to do anything else while it's working on the video projects. You
    may find this helpful: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/capture/start.html

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 2, 2004
  4. ralphy

    Brad Griffis Guest

    There are now devices available that will take a VHS tape and record it
    directly to a DVD. They cost several hundred dollars, but that's probably
    less than you'd have to spend to do it on your computer.

    You're definitely going to need a new computer or else you'll go crazy doing
    this stuff. I had a 1.5 GHz Athlon processor and 512 MB of RAM and it took
    FOUR DAYS of continuous processing to do really good mpeg-2 encoding of a 1
    hr 40 min video. It also eats a LOT of hard drive space. I have since
    upgraded to 2.6 GHz P4 with 1024 MB of DDR400 and 250 GB of hard drive
    space. I'd say that at the very least you'll need 100 GB of hard drive
    though I'd recommend more or else you'll fragment very quickly.

    By the time you get a faster computer, the graphics card to do the capture,
    plus all the software to burn the DVD, and the DVD burner you'll have spent
    far more than a stand alone unit will cost. Plus it will take a lot more
    time and effort to do the capture. However, if you wish to get other
    software to do things like noise reduction on the audio then you would need
    to do it in on your computer.

    Good luck!

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Aug 2, 2004
  5. ralphy

    Ionizer Guest

    Spam report id 1151170702 sent to: abuse @ verizon.net

    Ionizer, Aug 2, 2004
  6. ralphy

    Kenny Guest

    I've used a 600MHz Athlon, 384MB RAM and 40GB HDD to successfully capture
    analogue video using a Matrox G450eTV capture/TV card then burn them as
    VCD's. Results from a Hi-8 camcorder are good but not from a VCR. Software
    was supplied with the card.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 2, 2004
  7. ralphy

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:36:13 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >I've used a 600MHz Athlon, 384MB RAM and 40GB HDD to successfully capture
    >analogue video using a Matrox G450eTV capture/TV card then burn them as
    >VCD's. Results from a Hi-8 camcorder are good but not from a VCR. Software
    >was supplied with the card.
    >
    >--

    How about converting Windows Media Files (.wmv's) to DVD? Can anyone
    recommend the best way to do this?

    Beachcomber, Aug 2, 2004
  8. ralphy

    Kenny Guest

    Look here for all sorts of conversions, guides etc.
    http://www.videohelp.com/convert
    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 2, 2004
  9. ralphy

    ProfGene Guest

    There is a big problem dropping frames with capture cards. The Ads
    DVDExpress doesn't drop any frames and I am more satisfied with it than
    video cards I have tried, works great. When you drop frames it makes the
    sound choppy and the images jumpier. Your hdd is not very big for video.
    You should have 80 gigs or bigger as video files are huge if they are of any
    length. I have a 120 gig internal plus an 80 gig external drive for
    transporting the videos but just one large drive would do. You prbably have
    enough ram for an external but with what you have you would drop frames with
    an internal capture card. Ulead Video Studio7 comes with the ADs device and
    it is very good for capturing and also can do quite a bit of editing
    including trimming, fades, titles and effects.

    ProfGene, Aug 7, 2004