Converting AIM Account 2 AOL Account?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi

    Can anyone help me with this problem I am having? I have called AOL but
    they refuse to tell me how to do it.

    Currently I have an AIM screenname/account but it's ONLY an AIM
    screenname/account. I am NOT on AOL!

    I want to join the full blown AOL and I want to use my AIM screenname to do
    this. When you create an AIM screenname, AOL automatically holds the name
    for you to use should you ever decide to became a member of AOL. The
    problem is they don't really tell you how to do this!

    According to the AIM website, when you install the AOL software, you need to
    select during the registration process "I already have an AIM name that I
    would like to use for registering for an AOL account". This option is NOT
    available!

    I have installed the program with a CD as well as downloading AOL from
    aol.com, there is no such option that lets me check this that I want to use
    my AIM name to register with AOL.

    I even called AOL on the phone and they keep telling me "oh yes there is"!
    Well where is it? Because I have gone thru this 3 times tonight and it's
    not there. There is no such option.

    I know tons of people who have converted from AIM to AOL with their AIM name
    but they can't remember how they did it, because it was so complicated.

    It's funny, AOL wants your business but they refuse to walk you thru how to
    do it.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Guest

    WormWood Guest

    Your guardian angel is trying to give you a clue. :)

    WormWood, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Guest

    MiniEmma Guest

    DON'T DO IT !!!!!

    the lack of available options is obviously an omen telling you to steer
    clear of AOheLL

    MiniEmma, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    lol yeah I suppose your right about that.

    Guest, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Guest

    Adam Bailey Guest

    In article <>, <What's In A Name?>
    wrote:

    > I want to join the full blown AOL and I want to use my AIM screenname to do
    > this. When you create an AIM screenname, AOL automatically holds the name
    > for you to use should you ever decide to became a member of AOL. The
    > problem is they don't really tell you how to do this!

    I recently heard that this is no longer possible. Sure enough, a quick
    installation of the latest version of AOL for Mac OS X does not show
    the option.

    Perhaps earlier versions of the software can still do it. Don't know
    if these forms are generated by the host or the client.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois

    Adam Bailey, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Guest

    xmp Guest

    What's In A Name? wrote:

    >>>I know tons of people who have converted from AIM to AOL with their AIM

    >>name
    >>
    >>>but they can't remember how they did it, because it was so complicated.
    >>>
    >>>It's funny, AOL wants your business but they refuse to walk you thru how

    Yes, AOL is silly. That option should still exist, on a webpage
    somewhere. Unfortunately , there were many exploits based on AIM to AOL
    conversions, and it's been a security hole (or annoyance) for years.

    I'd try an AOL newsgroup or web forum. I would not be keen on
    converting a permanent AIM to AOL, because AOL has been suspending names
    after the AOL account lapses. There may be a loophole for AIM > AOL people.

    michael

    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  7. <What's In A Name?> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can anyone help me with this problem I am having? I have called AOL but
    > they refuse to tell me how to do it.

    Right there should clue you in on how much AOL sucks.
    If they cared squat about their customers they'd either
    convert it for you or tell you how you can.

    Timothy Timbrook, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Guest

    xmp Guest

    > Right there should clue you in on how much AOL sucks.
    > If they cared squat about their customers they'd either
    > convert it for you or tell you how you can.

    Most customer support was outsourced to India. This saves loads of
    money, but has created problems with customer interaction.

    If Google spider hit that page, you could use "site:aim.com" or
    "site:aol.com" as part of the Google query.

    michael

    xmp, Aug 28, 2004