    it.

    Anyone know where ?

    EP.

    English Patient, Dec 21, 2005

  2. English Patient

    soup Guest

    English Patient wrote:
    > how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    > grayscale on ?
    > I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how
    > to do it.
    > Anyone know where ?

    B&W not grayscale (sic)
    but with the image open click Image =>attributes, then tick Black and
    white.
    Can see no way to get an image into grayscale but is this suitable?
    --
    This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
    hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

    soup, Dec 21, 2005

  3. English Patient wrote:

    > how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    > grayscale on ? I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics
    > I can't find how to do it.

    Why would you want to use such a terrible program? Go get a free
    graphics editor, with so much more capabilities. I recommend IrfanView,
    and yes, there is a menu choice named: "Convert to Greyscale"

    One click changes a full-color JPG to black-and-white.

    http://irfanview.com/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2005
  4. English Patient

    Trax Guest

    "English Patient" <> wrote:

    |>how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a grayscale on
    |>?
    |>
    |>I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how to do
    |>it.
    |>
    |>Anyone know where ?

    Can't, download http://www.irfanview.com/ it's a much better graphic
    program and will convert to greyscale. It's free and very handy to
    have available.

    --
    Sightsee from space
    http://tinyurl.com/djrdl

    Trax, Dec 21, 2005
  5. "soup" <> wrote in message
    > English Patient wrote:
    >> how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    >> grayscale on ?
    >> I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how
    >> to do it.
    >> Anyone know where ?

    > B&W not grayscale (sic)
    > but with the image open click Image =>attributes, then tick Black and
    > white.
    > Can see no way to get an image into grayscale but is this suitable?
    > --
    > This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
    > hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
    > may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

    I saw the BW option, but it just turns the picture into one big blob of
    blackness :(

    Someone else suggested http://irfanview.com/ so I'm gonna put microsoft
    paint to one side
    and try this (and others if need be) progs.

    I guess Microsoft paint wasn't as :) as I thought it was .

    English Patient, Dec 21, 2005
  6. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > English Patient wrote:
    >
    >> how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    >> grayscale on ? I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics
    >> I can't find how to do it.

    > Why would you want to use such a terrible program? Go get a free
    > graphics editor, with so much more capabilities. I recommend IrfanView,
    > and yes, there is a menu choice named: "Convert to Greyscale"
    >
    > One click changes a full-color JPG to black-and-white.
    >
    > http://irfanview.com/
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Can it really be that easy, no, REALLY?!, surely you jest. Ok I'll give it a
    try :)

    EP.

    English Patient, Dec 21, 2005
  7. English Patient

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:31:00 -0000, "English Patient"
    <> wrote:

    >how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a grayscale on
    >?
    >
    >I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how to do
    >it.
    >
    >Anyone know where ?
    >
    >EP.

    www.irfanview.com
    Download the best free program for viewing, resizing, color changes,
    gamma changes and lots of other stuff. Of course you can also convert
    to grayscale.
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Dec 21, 2005
  8. Re: Racing Thoughts....hard to control!!!!

    Te Ting Thien, Dec 21, 2005
  9. English Patient

    DC Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > English Patient wrote:

    >> how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    >> grayscale on ? I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics
    >> I can't find how to do it.

    > Why would you want to use such a terrible program? Go get a free
    > graphics editor, with so much more capabilities. I recommend IrfanView,
    > and yes, there is a menu choice named: "Convert to Greyscale"

    > One click changes a full-color JPG to black-and-white.

    > http://irfanview.com/

    <nit>

    Irfanview is not an editor, but a viewer with limited post-processing
    functions and filters.

    The GIMP is an editor.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
    and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

    DC, Dec 21, 2005
  10. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:31:00 -0000, "English Patient"
    <> wrote:

    >how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a grayscale on
    >?
    >
    >I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how to do
    >it.
    >
    >Anyone know where ?
    >
    >EP.

    Already mentioned - Irfanview which is probably the most useful
    freeware there is. Not only will it convert to grayscale at a click ,
    it can do image enhancements , thumbnails , slideshows and so on. It
    will also play most video formats including .mov but not .rm
    I use it as my default image viewer which gives me a lot of facilities
    just a click away.

    valeofbelvoirdrinker, Dec 21, 2005
  11. DC wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> English Patient wrote:

    >>> how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a
    >>> grayscale on ? I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics
    >>> I can't find how to do it.

    >> Why would you want to use such a terrible program? Go get a free
    >> graphics editor, with so much more capabilities. I recommend IrfanView,
    >> and yes, there is a menu choice named: "Convert to Greyscale"

    >> One click changes a full-color JPG to black-and-white.

    >> http://irfanview.com/

    > <nit>

    <pedant> maybe? :)

    > Irfanview is not an editor, but a viewer with limited post-processing
    > functions and filters.
    >
    > The GIMP is an editor.

    Yes, I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 22, 2005
  12. English Patient

    DC Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Why would you want to use such a terrible program? Go get a free
    >>> graphics editor, with so much more capabilities. I recommend IrfanView,
    >>> and yes, there is a menu choice named: "Convert to Greyscale"

    >>> One click changes a full-color JPG to black-and-white.

    >>> http://irfanview.com/

    >> <nit>

    ><pedant> maybe? :)

    If you say so. <g>

    >> Irfanview is not an editor, but a viewer with limited post-processing
    >> functions and filters.

    And a damn good one, too, I failed to add.

    >> The GIMP is an editor.

    > Yes, I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

    Don't be put off by the GUI. It's, er... different.

    DC, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> The GIMP is an editor.

    > Yes, I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

    Because I just upgraded from a couple-year-old version of Linux, I can
    finally use The new GIMP. Because of dependencies on updated toolkits
    and such, which I couldn't use, I was stuck at 1.2.4 (IIRC). I just
    installed 2.2.8 yesterday; I've heard much good about 2.x, but haven't had
    time to really work it out, yet. But I'm expecting it to be a fun project. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 22, 2005
  14. DC wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> The GIMP is an editor.

    >> Yes, I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

    > Don't be put off by the GUI. It's, er... different.

    With my first installation yesterday of 2.x, I note that they've moved
    stuff around in the menus. I think that's supposed to be kind of a pop
    quiz. :)

    You've been doing 2.x for a while -- big improvement?

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 22, 2005
  15. English Patient

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Yes, I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

    >> Don't be put off by the GUI. It's, er... different.

    > With my first installation yesterday of 2.x, I note that they've moved
    > stuff around in the menus. I think that's supposed to be kind of a pop
    > quiz. :)

    > You've been doing 2.x for a while -- big improvement?

    TBH, I barely used 1.x so I am unable to offer a valuable comparison.

    DC, Dec 22, 2005
  16. English Patient

    dannyboy Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:04:59 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:31:00 -0000, "English Patient"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>how do I use microsoft paint to convert a colour picture into a grayscale on
    >>?
    >>
    >>I'm sure it can but looking thru all the help topics I can't find how to do
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Anyone know where ?
    >>
    >>EP.
    >>

    >www.irfanview.com
    >Download the best free program for viewing, resizing, color changes,
    >gamma changes and lots of other stuff. Of course you can also convert
    >to grayscale.

    That is a great program. And it is free.

    dannyboy, Dec 31, 2005