    sending a patch or some other software reprogramming that they might be able
    to do if I send them my licensing information, etc.

    Rick
    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 10, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Sorry, no, you cannot 'convert' the 64 bit system to the 32 bit one. You
    have a few options. All of them are coloured by the fact that the OEM
    license gives you the right to use just the version you originally
    received.

    1. Remove the 64 bit version and install the 32 bit. To do this, you
    might be able to arrange with the original source to get the 32 bit OEM
    version. Alternate, purchase the 32 bit license of the retail version.

    If the 64 bit version runs correctly (all the devices/peripherals work
    correctly) and the issue is program compatibility:
    2. Install the 32 bit in a dual boot arrangement. A Google search will
    yield links to various sites with the instructions for doing that. Do
    note that you should get the method for installing the 32 bit after the
    64 bit
    system.

    Since you have an OEM version, your first point of contact would be
    whoever you got it.

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Oct 10, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    XS11E Guest

    Rick <> wrote:

    > I recently bought and installed the OEM versioin of Vista 64 bit,
    > but discovered that I really should have purchased the 32 bit.

    Please tell us why.

    As has been mentioned, the only way to change is to format your
    harddrive and install the 32 bit version along with all the needed
    drivers and software, a very long process.

    An alternative is to partition the hard drive and install both and dual
    boot.

    The best way is to get the 64 bit system working for you so let us know
    what the problem(s) are and let's hope they can be fixed.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
    XS11E, Oct 10, 2007
  4. Tom:
    Thank you, I am afraid I am just going to have to purchse the 32 bit
    version and reinstall everything after I reformat the disk for the reinstall.
    It seems the easiest thing to do at this point, the programs I have either
    are not working or working poorly with the 64 bit program.

    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 10, 2007
  5. I orginally updated/ ( actually a total rebuild) of my computer from a
    Pentium 4 to a Quad Core, new EVGA MB, 4GB DDR2, etc., because the new video
    HD Camera (Sony HDR-SR5) I have and use was encoding DVD's incredibly slowly
    on the old coputer setup. So, a new rebuild, Vista 64 bit install, and
    unfortunately the software for the Sony (HandyCam Utility) is not compatible
    with 64 bit. After numerous attempts, and also very helpful Microsoft posts,
    including downloading codecs (Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 also needs 32 bit,
    not 64), dual booting, contacting Sony, etc., I have come to the conclusion
    that 1) I should have researched the Sony a little more and found it only ran
    in 32 bit , as that is why I ultimately wanted to do the upgrade-my MASSIVE
    error and 2) I probably need to use the 32 bit OS, as almost everything I
    have is in that mode, and I do not need the 64 bit OS at this time.

    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Rick:
    Adobe Premiere CS3 is certified only for the 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista as stated here:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 10, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    cardog Guest

    I have a dual boot XP and Vista 64 configuartion. Each operating system is on
    a different hard drive. I put XP on first on new build and then Vista 64. I
    am really disapointed with XP 64 and even Adobe Flash will not work with a 64
    bit Explorer. Last week all my DVD/CD drives, internal SATA and Ide and
    External firewire and UsB stopped working after an up date from Microsoft. I
    do not want to mess up the XP drive, but Vista changed the MBR on the XP
    drive to point to XP or Vista with Vista as the default. I have too many apps
    working on XP with dozens of activations and I do not want to go through the
    trouble of begging for 10 new activation rights from various vendors. I just
    want the computer to work on Vista. I made a mistake with Vista 64 and wish
    to "dumb down" to Vista 32.
    I am an old cardog still learing new tricks.

    cardog, Nov 25, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    sourcem Guest

    I have the same problem as Rick, I am a trader and using one of the
    trading platforms that is very popular, but not compatible with 64 bit.

    I just recently bought this machine from Dell but cannot use it for the
    purpose intended due to the 64 bit Vista. There is a recovery drive in
    the machine, so how do I get the 32 bit installed in this already
    partitioned drive? Is it possible to delete the OS from the recovery
    drive and replace it with the 32 bit OS? I have no idea how to proceed,
    any help is appreicated.....Thanks.

    --
    sourcem
    sourcem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sourcem.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in
    sourcem, Feb 22, 2009
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    A variety of solutions might be possible; however, you do not provide any
    specifics on your Dell so we cannot say what might be the best approach for
    that model in your situation.

    E.g 1., Possibly Dell has a "recovery" DVD for that model which will install
    Vista 32 bit. E.g.2, Possibly Dell has the 32 bit drivers and bundled
    software downloadable from their web site. If so, you would be able to
    install a retail copy of Vista 32 bit.

    The first step would seem to be either going to the web site and determining
    what is available for your model or contacting their customer support and
    asking the questions. Alternatively or supplmenting that, let us know
    details of the model so we have some basis for making suggestions.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Feb 22, 2009
  10. You contact Dell and tell them you need to "downgrade" from your Vista
    x64 to Vista x86. You will probably have to purchase the x86 DVD.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 22, 2009
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    sourcem Guest

    Thank you, Tom and Bobby for your responses. My Dell is a Studio laptop
    and when I requested 4 gig RAM, that forced it to go to 64 bit. I spoke
    to Dell tech support today, all they said was that I have to purchase
    the 32 bit OS in retail and then completely replace the OS in my
    machine, which of course means losing all the programs and installing
    all of them again.

    Currently it has a 'recovery' drive which is a part of the hard drive
    (no CDs came with it) but Dell said that would also have the same 64 bit
    software and so will not help.

    I was hoping to install the 32 bit directly into the recovery drive
    without removing the 64 bit main OS and then using the feature to start
    the laptop with the recovery drive 32 bit OS whenever I need the 32 bit,
    this being accomplished without losing and re-installing everything etc.
    but maybe I am hoping for too much!

    Tom, happy to give you any other specifics on my Dell, let me know what
    you need. Thank you for trying to help.

    sourcem, Feb 23, 2009
  12. You have a couple of options that might do what you need. The first is to
    install a virtualization solution, such as Virtual PC or VMWare or
    VirtualBox, and use that to create a virtual machine to run a 32-bit version
    of Windows. This should allow you to run your trading software in the
    virtual machine alongside your 64-bit version of Windows.

    A second option would be to create a dual-boot scenario. You would have to
    shrink the current partition and add a new partition to install the 32-bit
    Windows on (no, you should NOT try to do this on your recovery partition,
    but there are good third party tools, such as Acronis, that will help with
    the partitioning.). This would preserve your existing 64-bit Windows, but
    you'd still have to reinstall all your applications for use in 32-bit
    Windows. Using dual boot, you would choose at start up whether you wanted
    64-bit or 32-bit Windows.

    In either case, you'd still have to buy a new license for Windows to run the
    32-bit version, and both have their pluses and minuses. Generally, I prefer
    the virtual machine solution as giving you the most flexibility, but for
    some situations where there's a hardware specific issue, it won't solve the
    problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2009
  13. I don't know the specifics with Vista x64, but with Win XP the recovery
    drive is not large enough to be of any value and may not even be big
    enough to install Vista x86. When Dell says "recovery drive' they're
    usually talking about a partition just big enough to put the install
    image on and that's it - so about 4GB maybe.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 23, 2009
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    sourcem Guest

    Thank you Charlie and Bobby for your help.

    I like the option with the partitioning, sounds more stable than the
    virtual PC route. I will check out both. What is the cost of the 32 bit
    license and how do I go about purchasing the OS? I am currently in India
    for a couple of months.

    Thanks,
    Kailash

    sourcem, Feb 24, 2009
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, sourcem.

    Are you SURE your 32-bit software won't run in 64-bit Vista? Most 32-bit
    applications run as well or better in Vista x64 as in Vista x86. No need to
    "convert" or to add 32-bit Vista to what you already have. Just install the
    application and go.

    Even Microsoft's Office 2007 is still a 32-bit application suite, and it
    runs fine in Vista x64 (and in the Win7 x64 beta).

    But then, I'm not a trader and I really don't know what a "trading platform"
    is. So if my idea is dumb, please either educate me - or ignore me because
    I probably don't really need to know that. (Is it an alternative to an
    operating system, or is it an application that runs under an operating
    system, like Quicken and Photoshop and Office?)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    R. C. White, Feb 24, 2009
  16. No idea what the cost is in India. Check with a local supplier. In any case,
    it depends on the version of the software you order - there are multiple
    choices.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 24, 2009
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What exactly is your problem. I run 64-bit and use trading software which
    works fine. I have to change the shortcut that it installs to point to
    SYSWOW64 instead of System32 each time I update the software. It is Java
    based.

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2009
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just a note, I was told 4 years ago with XP64 all the way to about a month
    ago that it would not run on a 64-bit system. I hound them once a year to
    fix the install program to compose the proper shortcut, but am only told it
    won't run.

    John Barnes, Mar 1, 2009
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    sourcem Guest

    R.C. White and John Barnes,

    I use Ninja Trader platform version 6.5. According to Ninja, they do
    not support 64 bit at this time since their platform has some
    compatibility issues but their new version 7 (release date unknown) is
    compatible with 64 bit and will be supported.

    However what I find is that direct live trading on the sim account,
    there are no problems using the 64 bit but when I do any backtesting or
    optimizing, the results are completely wild and they say it is due to 64
    bit machine.

    Anyway I am leaning away from backtesting of my strategies anyway,
    which is another subject altogether.

    I have not yet traded with live money with this set up, so am still
    reviewing my options.

    Thank you for trying to help.

    sourcem

    sourcem, Mar 4, 2009
  20. VMWare

    How can I setup VMWare and Windows XP Mode software from Microsoft to run at startup on my Windows 7 Machine?

    How can I get Apache 2.0.52 to run on the virtual machine? It installs correctly, put doesn't run.
    FYI I run a website that also has a BBS that uses a few DOS apps that won't fly under 64 bit, hence the XP Mode software.

    Thanks....
    Howard Scaggs

    http://country-computer.net
    telnet://country-computer.net

    John Barnes wrote:

    Just a note, I was told 4 years ago with XP64 all the way to about a month ago
    01-Mar-09

    Just a note, I was told 4 years ago with XP64 all the way to about a month
    ago that it would not run on a 64-bit system. I hound them once a year to
    fix the install program to compose the proper shortcut, but am only told it
    won't run.

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:55 AM
    Ric wrote:

    Converting 64 bit to 32 bit
    I recently bought and installed the OEM versioin of Vista 64 bit, but
    discovered that I really should have purchased the 32 bit. is there any way
    to disable the 64 bit and convert it to 32 bit, either through the program
    itself, or by contacting Microsoft and have them do something, such as
    sending a patch or some other software reprogramming that they might be able
    to do if I send them my licensing information, etc.

    Rick

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:22 AM
    Tom Ferguson wrote:

[...]

    "Rick" <> wrote in message

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:08 PM
    XS11E wrote:

    Re: Converting 64 bit to 32 bit
    Rick <> wrote:

    Please tell us why.

    As has been mentioned, the only way to change is to format your
    harddrive and install the 32 bit version along with all the needed
    drivers and software, a very long process.

    An alternative is to partition the hard drive and install both and dual
    boot.

    The best way is to get the 64 bit system working for you so let us know
    what the problem(s) are and let's hope they can be fixed.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:10 PM
    Ric wrote:

    Re: Converting 64 bit to 32 bit
    Tom:
    Thank you, I am afraid I am just going to have to purchse the 32 bit
    version and reinstall everything after I reformat the disk for the reinstall.
    It seems the easiest thing to do at this point, the programs I have either
    are not working or working poorly with the 64 bit program.

    Rick

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:23 PM
    Ric wrote:

[...]

    "XS11E" wrote:

    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:17 PM
    Carlo wrote:

    Re: Converting 64 bit to 32 bit
    Rick:
    Adobe Premiere CS3 is certified only for the 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista as stated here:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/
    Carlos

    "Rick" wrote:

    On Saturday, November 24, 2007 11:12 PM
    cardo wrote:

[...]

    "Rick" wrote:

    On Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:31 PM
    fernando mendoza wrote:

    12345fer
    tengo problemas

    On Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:36 AM
    sourcem wrote:

    I have the same problem as Rick, I am a trader and using one of thetrading
    I have the same problem as Rick, I am a trader and using one of the
    trading platforms that is very popular, but not compatible with 64 bit.

    I just recently bought this machine from Dell but cannot use it for the
    purpose intended due to the 64 bit Vista. There is a recovery drive in
    the machine, so how do I get the 32 bit installed in this already
    partitioned drive? Is it possible to delete the OS from the recovery
    drive and replace it with the 32 bit OS? I have no idea how to proceed,
    any help is appreicated.....Thanks.

    --
    sourcem
    sourcem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sourcem.htm
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/831617.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in

    On Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:47 AM
    Tom Ferguson wrote:

[...]

    "sourcem" <> wrote in message

    On Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:35 AM
    Bobby Johnson wrote:

    You contact Dell and tell them you need to "downgrade" from your Vista x64 to
    You contact Dell and tell them you need to "downgrade" from your Vista
    x64 to Vista x86. You will probably have to purchase the x86 DVD.

    sourcem wrote:

    Tom Ferguson;4258891 Wrote:

    --
    sourcem
    sourcem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sourcem.htm
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/831617.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in

    On Monday, February 23, 2009 8:51 AM
    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

[...]

    "sourcem" <> wrote in message

    On Monday, February 23, 2009 9:36 AM
    Bobby Johnson wrote:

    I don't know the specifics with Vista x64, but with Win XP the recovery drive
    I don't know the specifics with Vista x64, but with Win XP the recovery
    drive is not large enough to be of any value and may not even be big
    enough to install Vista x86. When Dell says "recovery drive' they're
    usually talking about a partition just big enough to put the install
    image on and that's it - so about 4GB maybe.

    sourcem wrote:

    On Monday, February 23, 2009 9:21 PM
    sourcem wrote:

    Thank you Charlie and Bobby for your help.
    Thank you Charlie and Bobby for your help.

    I like the option with the partitioning, sounds more stable than the
    virtual PC route. I will check out both. What is the cost of the 32 bit
    license and how do I go about purchasing the OS? I am currently in India
    for a couple of months.

    Thanks,
    Kailash

    Charlie Russel - MVP;4261080 Wrote:

    --
    sourcem
    sourcem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sourcem.htm
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/831617.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in

    On Monday, February 23, 2009 10:43 PM
    R. C. White wrote:

[...]

    "sourcem" <> wrote in message

    On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:41 AM
    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    No idea what the cost is in India. Check with a local supplier.
    No idea what the cost is in India. Check with a local supplier. In any case,
    it depends on the version of the software you order - there are multiple
    choices.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    "sourcem" <> wrote in message

    On Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:19 PM
    John Barnes wrote:

    What exactly is your problem.
    What exactly is your problem. I run 64-bit and use trading software which
    works fine. I have to change the shortcut that it installs to point to
    SYSWOW64 instead of System32 each time I update the software. It is Java
    based.

    "sourcem" <> wrote in message

    On Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:32 PM
    John Barnes wrote:

    Just a note, I was told 4 years ago with XP64 all the way to about a month ago
    Just a note, I was told 4 years ago with XP64 all the way to about a month
    ago that it would not run on a 64-bit system. I hound them once a year to
    fix the install program to compose the proper shortcut, but am only told it
    won't run.

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message

    On Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:44 AM
    sourcem wrote:

[...]

    On Friday, March 19, 2010 9:42 PM
    Howard Scaggs wrote:

    XP Mode
    You can install Windows XP Mode software from MickeySoft and run it under VMWare. That should work for you.

    Later...

    On Friday, March 19, 2010 9:43 PM
    Howard Scaggs wrote:

    XP Mode
    You can install Windows XP Mode software from MickeySoft and run it under VMWare. That should work for you.

    Later...

    WPF TreeView Control With Filtering of Nodes Based on Their Levels
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a-bf26b9783a9b/wpf-treeview-control-with.aspx
    Howard Scaggs, Mar 20, 2010