    wireless?

    I have wifi on my laptop.

    Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?
    lovebaby, Apr 2, 2005

  2. lovebaby

    Dave Guest

    you need a wireless access point.

    "lovebaby" <> wrote in message
    news:UAv3e.15983$...
    > If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to

    be
    > able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired

    into

    Dave, Apr 2, 2005

  3. It would be nice if one could wave a magic wand and convert a fixed LAN to
    wireless in such an easy manner.

    Facts are that one needs to establish a wireless environment: this requires
    an Access device, be it by way of a router or wireless access point.

    In either event there is an investment to be made both in money to buy the
    wireless device and then time to set it up securely.

    Now go off and persuade the motel owner that it is in his better interest to
    spend money so that you can walk around his motel rooms.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Apr 4, 2005
  4. lovebaby

    Dave Guest

    of course its that easy. buy a cheap access point, plug it into the hotel's
    ethernet and viola, you have instant around the room roaming. of course it
    would be nice if you configured some security or you could find other hotel
    guests sharing your port or trying to access your computer. but if you want
    to carry around an access point so you can roam around your hotel room (or
    put it in the window overlooking the pool and go browse and browse at the
    same time) that is all you need.

    Dave, Apr 4, 2005