Convert VHS home movies to DVD using freeware on a Windows PC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tia B. McMahon, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    freeware?

    A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    (freeware?) method today?

    Here's what I did then.
    * I played the tape in my VHS machine
    * The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    * The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    * Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    * Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    * Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    * Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    * My DVD burner program burned the DVD

    The problem with this method was time. The DVD conversion step alone took
    10 hours for a full 34Gbyte avi file of my home movie, so I gave up after
    just converting a couple of VHS movies.

    Is the state of affairs in freeware & computing better nowadays?
    That is, can I simplify this horrendously long and complex task nowadays?
    I know I have to start with a huge AVI file but can I simplify the rest of
    the steps.

    a) If I don't wish to edit, is there freeware that can convert the incoming
    AVI file to DVD in a single pass?

    b) If I wish to edit, is there newer freeware that replaces my old Pinnacle
    Studio 9?

    c) If I buy a VHS/DVD dual unit, how does it know how LARGE the incoming
    data is (I don't get how it knows how much to compress if it does it in
    real time).

    Please help me!

    Tia B. McMahon, Oct 30, 2007

  2. Tia B. McMahon

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <FZvVi.15850$>, Tia B.
    McMahon <> wrote:

    > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    > (freeware?) method today?

    Your life would have been simpler if you'd used a Mac. All the software
    you need to make DVDs is included...and you don't need an instruction
    book or 15 steps.

    Mr. Strat, Oct 30, 2007

  3. Tia B. McMahon

    AlleyCat Guest

    In article <291020071857434118%>,
    says...
    > In article <FZvVi.15850$>, Tia B.
    > McMahon <> wrote:
    >
    > > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    > > (freeware?) method today?

    > Your life would have been simpler if you'd used a Mac. All the software
    > you need to make DVDs is included...and you don't need an instruction
    > book or 15 steps.

    What a great idea! Why didn't this nimrod even think of plunking down
    $2500 for a Mac? I'm sure he has the cash in his front left pocket...
    the dodo. As for you, Mr. Start... bravo!... for showing all of us PC
    users what assholes Mac users can be. Thank you.

    Al "my PC out performs your G5" Cat

    http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10004&G=1

    Notice that even with these "super low" prices, they're USED Macs

    AlleyCat, Oct 30, 2007
  4. Tia B. McMahon

    -Lost Guest

    Response from AlleyCat <>:

    > In article <291020071857434118%>,
    > says...
    >> In article <FZvVi.15850$>,
    >> Tia B. McMahon <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a
    >> > horrendously difficult and long process that took days - but
    >> > worked. Is there a better (freeware?) method today?

    >> Your life would have been simpler if you'd used a Mac. All the
    >> software you need to make DVDs is included...and you don't need
    >> an instruction book or 15 steps.

    > What a great idea! Why didn't this nimrod even think of plunking
    > down $2500 for a Mac? I'm sure he has the cash in his front left
    > pocket... the dodo. As for you, Mr. Start... bravo!... for showing
    > all of us PC users what assholes Mac users can be. Thank you.
    >
    > Al "my PC out performs your G5" Cat
    >
    > http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10004&G=1
    >
    > Notice that even with these "super low" prices, they're USED Macs

    I agree. It served no purpose other than to show how useless they
    and their opinion are.

    Now, in a constructive manner -- it is funny because a Mac user would
    have all of the available tools to capture video and burn it to DVD
    in optimal situations.

    However, even I would rather work on my PC. I am to the point where
    I can do things equally fast on both systems, but I rarely do
    anything other than graphics or test Web pages on my Mac.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

    -Lost, Oct 30, 2007
  5. Mr. Strat wrote:
    > In article <FZvVi.15850$>, Tia B.
    > McMahon <> wrote:
    >
    >> A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    >> difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    >> (freeware?) method today?

    > Your life would have been simpler if you'd used a Mac. All the software
    > you need to make DVDs is included...and you don't need an instruction
    > book or 15 steps.

    fu set.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Oct 30, 2007
  6. -Lost wrote:
    > Response from AlleyCat <>:
    >
    >> In article <291020071857434118%>,
    >> says...

    >>> Your life would have been simpler if you'd used a Mac. All the
    >>> software you need to make DVDs is included...and you don't need
    >>> an instruction book or 15 steps.

    >> What a great idea! Why didn't this nimrod even think of plunking
    >> down $2500 for a Mac? I'm sure he has the cash in his front left
    >> pocket... the dodo. As for you, Mr. Start... bravo!... for showing
    >> all of us PC users what assholes Mac users can be. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Al "my PC out performs your G5" Cat
    >>
    >> http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10004&G=1
    >>
    >> Notice that even with these "super low" prices, they're USED Macs

    > I agree. It served no purpose other than to show how useless they
    > and their opinion are.
    >
    > Now, in a constructive manner -- it is funny because a Mac user would
    > have all of the available tools to capture video and burn it to DVD
    > in optimal situations.
    >
    > However, even I would rather work on my PC. I am to the point where
    > I can do things equally fast on both systems, but I rarely do
    > anything other than graphics or test Web pages on my Mac.

    splendid. fu set

    John McWilliams, Oct 30, 2007
  7. Tia B. McMahon

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Tia B. McMahon" <> wrote in message
    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware?
    >
    > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    > (freeware?) method today?
    >
    > Here's what I did then.
    > * I played the tape in my VHS machine
    > * The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    > * The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    > * My DVD burner program burned the DVD
    >
    > The problem with this method was time. The DVD conversion step alone took
    > 10 hours for a full 34Gbyte avi file of my home movie, so I gave up after
    > just converting a couple of VHS movies.
    >
    > Is the state of affairs in freeware & computing better nowadays?
    > That is, can I simplify this horrendously long and complex task nowadays?
    > I know I have to start with a huge AVI file but can I simplify the rest of
    > the steps.
    >
    > a) If I don't wish to edit, is there freeware that can convert the
    > incoming
    > AVI file to DVD in a single pass?
    >
    > b) If I wish to edit, is there newer freeware that replaces my old
    > Pinnacle
    > Studio 9?
    >
    > c) If I buy a VHS/DVD dual unit, how does it know how LARGE the incoming
    > data is (I don't get how it knows how much to compress if it does it in
    > real time).
    >
    > Please help me!

    You wouldn't need a "dual format" recorder, a regular
    DVD Recorder would do. That's assuming that you have
    an acceptable means of playing the media you have. You
    can probably do all the editing for a "home movie" using
    an inexpensive MPEG capable editing package like those
    offered by Ulead or Magix. There isn't much in the way of
    free MPEG capable editing programs out there.

    http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/

    http://www.ulead.com/runme.htm

    Both have free trial downloads.

    This approach will greatly speed up the process.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 30, 2007
  8. Tia B. McMahon

    Jeff Guest

    "Tia B. McMahon" <> wrote in

    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware?
    >
    > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a
    > better (freeware?) method today?
    >
    > Here's what I did then.
    > * I played the tape in my VHS machine
    > * The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    > * The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    > * My DVD burner program burned the DVD
    >
    > The problem with this method was time. The DVD conversion step alone
    > took 10 hours for a full 34Gbyte avi file of my home movie, so I gave
    > up after just converting a couple of VHS movies.
    >
    > Is the state of affairs in freeware & computing better nowadays?
    > That is, can I simplify this horrendously long and complex task
    > nowadays? I know I have to start with a huge AVI file but can I
    > simplify the rest of the steps.

    The state of affairs in computing is that a new computer will run about
    three times faster than the one you have and do the conversion faster.

    > a) If I don't wish to edit, is there freeware that can convert the
    > incoming AVI file to DVD in a single pass?

    It's not free, but ConvertXtoDVD will do this quickly and simply. I don't
    think you will find a free program to do this since the software companies
    must pay to license the MPEG2 codec.

    > b) If I wish to edit, is there newer freeware that replaces my old
    > Pinnacle Studio 9?

    VirtualDub will do simple AVI editing and compress your giant file into an
    AVI that is a more manageable size.

    > c) If I buy a VHS/DVD dual unit, how does it know how LARGE the
    > incoming data is (I don't get how it knows how much to compress if it
    > does it in real time).

    It knows how much to compress because you manually set the compression
    beforehand. They have settings for high, medium, low quality or 1, 2, 4
    hours. These are really approximations because the complexity of frame
    images and amount of motion are the real determinants.

    Jeff, Oct 30, 2007
  9. On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:05:52 -0500, Ken Maltby wrote:
    > You wouldn't need a "dual format" recorder, a regular
    > DVD Recorder would do. That's assuming that you have
    > an acceptable means of playing the media you have. You
    > can probably do all the editing for a "home movie" using
    > an inexpensive MPEG capable editing package like those
    > offered by Ulead or Magix. There isn't much in the way of
    > free MPEG capable editing programs out there.

    I'm confused. Wouldn't I edit using the uncompressed AVI file and not the
    MPEG file? Wouldn't I need a freeware AVI editor?

    And, I'm confused about the "regular DVD recorder". Are you suggesting I
    can output from my regular VHS player directly into a regular DVD recorder?
    I didn't know that was possible. Is it?

    How do most of YOU convert your VHS home video tapes to DVD using freeware?

    Tia B. McMahon, Oct 30, 2007
  10. Tia B. McMahon

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:05:52 -0500, Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> You wouldn't need a "dual format" recorder, a regular
    >> DVD Recorder would do. That's assuming that you have
    >> an acceptable means of playing the media you have. You
    >> can probably do all the editing for a "home movie" using
    >> an inexpensive MPEG capable editing package like those
    >> offered by Ulead or Magix. There isn't much in the way of
    >> free MPEG capable editing programs out there.

    > I'm confused. Wouldn't I edit using the uncompressed AVI file and not the
    > MPEG file? Wouldn't I need a freeware AVI editor?

    Your post indicated that you were wishing to go from
    VHS and other Analog video sources to edited DVD
    compliant MPEG as it would exist in a DVD made on
    your PC. You said that your main problem was the
    great deal of time it took to convert (encode) your AVI
    file to a DVD compliant MPEG file.

    There are now inexpensive MPEG capable Editing
    programs.

    You mention buying a DVD Recorder that is a VHS
    Recorder as well. The DVD Recorder can use some
    form of DVD-RW or DVD-RAM disk to bring the
    DVD Compliant MPEG (in the DVD .vob files) to
    your PC for editing. There would be no lengthy
    conversion required for the edited DVD Compliant
    MPEG. You would just author your new movie(s)
    into a DVD.

    > And, I'm confused about the "regular DVD recorder". Are you suggesting I
    > can output from my regular VHS player directly into a regular DVD
    > recorder?
    > I didn't know that was possible. Is it?

    Yes, especially for your unencrypted/ copy protected
    video. Also, I posted regular "DVD Recorder", the kind
    of thing you put in your livingroom and connect to your TV.
    They are very often connected to a VCR, as well.

    > How do most of YOU convert your VHS home video tapes to DVD using

    freeware?

    I do the following: Play the tape in my VCR providing a
    composite video signal to my RCA DRC8000N DVD
    Recorder (where the signal is processed by a TBC and
    NR circuitry before it is output as S-Video) this I feed
    through 4 R6 coax cables (2 audio and the 2 for the
    S-Video) to a capture card in one of my PCs. I then
    use software that I've paid for to edit the video, author
    a DVD, and burn it to a blank disk. In some cases I
    record to a DVD+RW disk and bring that to a PC,
    for editing.

    If you must have freeware DVD Authoring you can
    check the "Tool" listings at

    www.videohelp.com for the few that are available.

    So of the options you presented, you have (1) letting
    a DVD Recorder encode your VCR's output to DVD
    Compliant MPEG and being able to quickly edit and
    author to a new DVD, or (2) using your old method
    and editing in DV25 AVI then encoding to DVD
    Compliant MPEG (which on a 1.2 Ghz PC, will take
    quite a long time), before you can author a new DVD.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 30, 2007
  11. Tia B. McMahon

    miskairal Guest

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware?
    >
    > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    > (freeware?) method today?
    >
    > Here's what I did then.
    > * I played the tape in my VHS machine
    > * The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    > * The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    > * My DVD burner program burned the DVD
    >
    > The problem with this method was time. The DVD conversion step alone took
    > 10 hours for a full 34Gbyte avi file of my home movie, so I gave up after
    > just converting a couple of VHS movies.
    >
    > Is the state of affairs in freeware & computing better nowadays?
    > That is, can I simplify this horrendously long and complex task nowadays?
    > I know I have to start with a huge AVI file but can I simplify the rest of
    > the steps.
    >
    > a) If I don't wish to edit, is there freeware that can convert the incoming
    > AVI file to DVD in a single pass?
    >
    > b) If I wish to edit, is there newer freeware that replaces my old Pinnacle
    > Studio 9?
    >
    > c) If I buy a VHS/DVD dual unit, how does it know how LARGE the incoming
    > data is (I don't get how it knows how much to compress if it does it in
    > real time).
    >
    > Please help me!

    This might be of help to you
    http://www.infopackets.com/channels...onvert_vhs_video_and_archive_to_dvd_or_cd.htm

    miskairal, Oct 30, 2007
  12. Tia B. McMahon

    pjp Guest

    "-Lost" <> wrote in message
    > Response from AlleyCat <>:
    >
    > > In article <291020071857434118%>,
    > > says...

    PC with video capture card. In my case an early ATI 7200 with composite in.

    Start capture mode on PC, play movie on TV/VCR/DVD sending signal to pc. (as
    my capture card is only composite-in rather than TV tuner type means sound
    is routed thru sound card's line in).

    End of movie use Nero, select saved capture file and burn to DVD. Nero
    recodes original file, creating proper DVD layout and all as neccessary.

    Have done and continue to do this often. Last time just last week for friend
    had old Island Of Dr. Moruea VHS tape.

    Two very simple steps. Capture takes as long as original takes to play and
    Nero (P2.8, gig ram, XP Pro) recodes and burns in under 2 hours.

    ******* rest of response(s) not required *******

    pjp, Oct 30, 2007
  13. Tia B. McMahon

    TrevM Guest

    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware?
    >
    > A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    > difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    > (freeware?) method today?
    >
    > Here's what I did then.
    > * I played the tape in my VHS machine
    > * The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    > * The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    > * Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    > * My DVD burner program burned the DVD

    That's still what you have to do, starting from an analogue source like VHS,
    though a 3 GHz PC will do parts of it somewhat quicker. Any free software
    such as the neoDVDPlus that came with my PC DVD burner a few years back is
    likely to be clunky to use and more limited in features than payware like
    Pinnacle. You may also get sound sync problems at the DVD burning stage
    which would need you to run yet another "re-muxing" program like
    PVAStrumento (which may or may not work - and you don't find out until you
    play the DVD!). There is an excellent cheap program - VideoReDo Plus -
    which can edit and make perfect DVDs from a digital TV source, but it
    doesn't handle analogue.

    My advice would be to get a DVD recorder with a built in hard drive. That
    will digitize the output from your VHS player "on the fly", and if you
    record to the hard drive you can edit the file by cutting bits out with
    single frame accuracy, and then burn a DVD with a choice of quality
    settings. I have a Panasonic DMR-EX75 which can record from its own digital
    and analogue off-air TV tuners, or any other analogue source via SCART / RCA
    phono / S-VHS inputs. It will also take a Firewire stream from a camcorder.
    Far quicker and easier than using a PC, in my experience!

    > The problem with this method was time. [snip]

    Damn right!

    TrevM

    TrevM, Oct 30, 2007
  14. Tia B. McMahon

    John Corliss Guest

    Re: Convert VHS home movies to DVD using freeware on a Windows PC*CROSSPOST ALERT*

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware? (big snip)

    Just thought other people would like to know that you cross-posted your
    original post into their groups. This is not a good idea.

    --
    John Corliss BS206. I try not to reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett,
    Hummingbird or proteanthread.

    John Corliss, Oct 30, 2007
  15. Tia B. McMahon wrote:

    > Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    > freeware?

    Hello!

    Why would you do that? Your Tapes will surely last longer ;-)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Oct 30, 2007
  16. Tia B. McMahon

    George Kerby Guest

    The following is a post from A.F.I. (Another Fuckin Idiot):

    On 10/29/07 9:13 PM, in article
    , "AlleyCat"

    George Kerby, Oct 30, 2007
  17. Then began 'George Kerby <>' to curse and to swear:

    Note: Vulgar posting not quoted.

    This is a family news group in which children and young adults read. It is *your* social responsibility as an adult to demonstrate proper Usenet etiquette.

    Please refrain from cursing and swearing.
    --
    Gabriel Gowdel

    Gabriel Gowdel, Oct 30, 2007
  18. Tia B. McMahon

    Doug Mitton Guest

    "Tia B. McMahon" <> wrote:

    >Can I simply convert home VHS tapes & 8mm & DV home movies to DVD with
    >freeware?
    >
    >A few years ago, I converted a VHS tape to DVD using a horrendously
    >difficult and long process that took days - but worked. Is there a better
    >(freeware?) method today?
    >
    >Here's what I did then.
    >* I played the tape in my VHS machine
    >* The VHS player analog out (red/white/yellow) went to my dv camcorder
    >* The firewire out of the camcorder went into my 1.2 Ghz PC
    >* Pinnacle Studio 9 created a huuuuuuuge avi file (17Gbytes/hour)
    >* Pinnacle Studio 9 allowed me to edit scenes, add menus, etc.
    >* Pinnacle Studio 9 converted to an MPEG file
    >* Pinnacle Studio 9 authored a DVD image (VIDEO_TS) directory
    >* My DVD burner program burned the DVD
    >
    >The problem with this method was time. The DVD conversion step alone took
    >10 hours for a full 34Gbyte avi file of my home movie, so I gave up after
    >just converting a couple of VHS movies.
    >
    >Is the state of affairs in freeware & computing better nowadays?
    >That is, can I simplify this horrendously long and complex task nowadays?
    >I know I have to start with a huge AVI file but can I simplify the rest of
    >the steps.
    >
    >a) If I don't wish to edit, is there freeware that can convert the incoming
    >AVI file to DVD in a single pass?
    >
    >b) If I wish to edit, is there newer freeware that replaces my old Pinnacle
    >Studio 9?
    >
    >c) If I buy a VHS/DVD dual unit, how does it know how LARGE the incoming
    >data is (I don't get how it knows how much to compress if it does it in
    >real time).
    >
    >Please help me!

    I purchased one of these DVD Recorders at Walmart about a year ago for
    less than $100. It has been working perfectly.

    http://www.hometechanswers.com/codefreedvd/ch-dvr1600.html

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/cyberhome-ch-dvr-1600/5507

    After I have the video on DVD I can rip it and do whatever I like.

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

    Doug Mitton, Oct 30, 2007
  19. Tia B. McMahon

    BillyGraham Guest

    Re: Convert VHS home movies to DVD using freeware on a Windows PC *CROSSPOST ALERT* *IDIOT ALERT*

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 02:56:50 -0700, John Corliss <> wrote:

    >Just thought other people would like to know that you cross-posted your
    >original post into their groups. This is not a good idea.

    It is a good idea if all those cross-posted groups are appropriate to the
    subject. Cross-posting isn't a bad idea. The ability to do so was created
    because it is a good idea.

    Get a clue, you fucked-up, idiotic, inexperienced, control-freak.

    Gabriel Gowdel, Oct 30, 2007