Convert Vax3500 files to Excel or Access database in Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BigBlueIron36, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

    BigBlueIron36, Jul 5, 2007

  2. BigBlueIron36

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, "BigBlueIron36"
    <> wrote:

    >Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

    You need to convert to comma delimited or tab delimited text files
    then import them. Don't know how to do it but there are firms that can
    do it for money

    Alfred, Jul 5, 2007

  3. BigBlueIron36

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, BigBlueIron36 wrote:

    >Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

    Did you forget to mention what format the VAX 3500 files are in?

    Me

    why?, Jul 5, 2007
  4. BigBlueIron36

    chuckie® Guest

    Don't know if this it'll help but:

    Many of our customers believe that "The world is an Excel spreadsheet!" .
    They always want Quiz reports loaded into the Excel, that they already have
    on their PC's , and then convert data into graphs. Most of the older
    applications still run on Vax/Rms data files and this makes relational tools
    Impromptu less useful. In such cases we routinely use one of three
    techniques:

    (a) The Vax/Vms application has a special version of a Quiz report that
    writes data in a simple tabular form with comma delimiters into a text file.
    The text output file is located on a PC common drive (under Pathworks) that
    is accessible to PC users. They then import the comma delimited report into
    their Excel spreadsheet.

    (b) The Vax/Vms application uses QTP to write a report into a RDB database
    interface table. PC users have an Excel spreadsheet that contains macros
    which in turn invoke MSQuery. MSQuery gets data from the RDB table through
    the PC network.

    (c) Users that are not on the PC network create the comma delimited report
    as in (a) but use the Reflection communication program to download the
    report from Vax (or Alpha) to their PC and then import it into Excel.

    Life would be a lot easier if all applications used a relational database
    but this is far from being the case. The old legacy application workhorses
    are no longer sexy and not much effort seems to go into their upgrades.
    Fortunately, Year 2000 seems to offer some hope because it will force the
    issue ...

    chuckie®, Jul 6, 2007
  5. BigBlueIron36

    Guest

    Alfred <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, "BigBlueIron36"
    ><> wrote:

    >>Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

    >You need to convert to comma delimited or tab delimited text files
    >then import them. Don't know how to do it but there are firms that can
    >do it for money

    UltraEdit can do this http://www.ultraedit.com/ and you get a decent
    text editor out of the deal.

    --