    TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
    much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
    TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.
    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010

  2. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:34:39 -0700, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley wrote:

    > I have an older digital camera, a Fujifilm MX-2900. When it is set to
    > the highest quality setting, it produces files in in the unusual TIFF-
    > YC format. The camera comes with a program (Picture Shuttle) to convert
    > these files to the generally accepted TIFF-RGB format. However, that
    > program does not work in Windows XP, and the company website doesn't
    > seem to have a more current version.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?
    >
    > TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
    > much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
    > TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.

    I don't see anything on"tiff-yc" - do you suppose you could provide a
    sample? I'd like to look into that.
    ray, Jun 26, 2010

  3. On Jun 26, 1:02 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > I don't see anything on"tiff-yc" - do you suppose you could provide a
    > sample? I'd like to look into that.

    OK - I emailed you a sample with the title "TIFF-YC sample file"
    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  4. On Jun 26, 10:34 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley <>
    wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?

    Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
    program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
    program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!

    Thanks guys!
    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  5. On Jun 26, 2:32 pm, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley <>
    wrote:
    > OK - I emailed you a sample with the title "TIFF-YC sample file"

    The email bounced saying "no mailbox here by that name"
    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    Peter Guest

    wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?

    Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
    program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
    program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!

    Thanks guys!

    Assuming you meant TIFF-YCC, here is our explanation.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/sycc.htm

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jun 26, 2010
  7. On Jun 26, 2:49 pm, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > Assuming you meant TIFF-YCC, here is our explanation.

    I just checked - I got the camera in 1999. Maybe it's time to bite the
    bullet and get something more up to date. It's like the kids say:
    "that's so twentieth century!".
    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  8. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "Peter"
    <> saying something like:

    >Assuming you meant TIFF-YCC, here is our explanation.
    >
    >http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/sycc.htm

    Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is good.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 27, 2010
  9. "Grimly Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    > drugs began to take hold. I remember "Peter"
    > <> saying something like:
    >
    >>Assuming you meant TIFF-YCC, here is our explanation.
    >>
    >>http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/sycc.htm

    > Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is good.

    Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on analogue
    (or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have been
    no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2010
  10. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "David J Taylor"
    <> saying something like:

    >> Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is good.

    >Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on analogue
    >(or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have been
    >no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.

    Agreed for component, but he specifically mentions composite at the end
    - horrible way of doing it.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 27, 2010
  11. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    SMS Guest

    On 26/06/10 1:36 PM, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 10:34 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley<>
    > wrote:
    >> Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?

    > Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
    > program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
    > program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!
    >
    > Thanks guys!

    Yes, I doubt if there are any decent photo editors that can't handle
    TIFF-YC. Photoshop certainly handles it, though I think a plug-in is
    required. There were some Nikon/Fujifilm D-SLRs that supported TIFF YC
    as an alternative to RAW.
    SMS, Jun 27, 2010
  12. "Grimly Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    > drugs began to take hold. I remember "David J Taylor"
    > <> saying something like:
    >
    >>> Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is
    >>> good.

    >>Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on
    >>analogue
    >>(or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have
    >>been
    >>no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.

    > Agreed for component, but he specifically mentions composite at the end
    > - horrible way of doing it.

    He says: "In broadcast television and composite video one passes the Cr
    and Cb channels through bandwidth limiting filters and then on to modulate
    the I and Q quadrature channels of a dual-sideband suppressed subcarrier."
    which is a statement of how colour television works. I don't read any
    endorsement there.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2010