    into an RF signal?

    Since RF is broad-band, on what channel should I expect the
    notebook's video output to appear?

    Monkey Monkey, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Monkey Monkey

    Rudy Benner Guest

    I was in Radio Shack, seems to me I saw a box that did just that...one sec
    while I look it up...

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_009_000&product_id=15-1214
    its described as mono, but I see stereo audio jacks and composite video
    input as well as S video. Have a look for yourself. Part number 15-1214.

    No, I did not find what I was looking for.

    Rudy Benner, Dec 29, 2003

  3. in article , Monkey Monkey at
    wrote on 12/28/03 11:39 PM:

    > I own a notebook computer that can play video DVD disks.
    > The video signal is output from the notebook through an
    > S-video connector. Our idea is to use the computer as a
    > portable DVD player in hotel rooms when we're on the road.
    > Unfortunately, most hotel room TV's only have RF (co-axial)
    > cable video inputs.
    >
    > How do I convert the S-video signal output by my notebook
    > into an RF signal?
    >
    > Since RF is broad-band, on what channel should I expect the
    > notebook's video output to appear?

    Yet another reason to stay at some of the lesser expensive hotels (Marriott
    Courtyard as opposed to Four Seasons). They tend to have (amongst other
    useable things) VCRs or game counsels, which means you can typically connect
    to the TV via RCA jacks. I've actually asked hotels if they have any rooms
    with input jacks that can be used. I'm surprised with all the camcorders,
    digital cameras, game systems, laptops, and portable DVD players that hotels
    aren't more accommodating or at least aware of the issue from people
    asking/complaining.

    There are converters available for around $20 or so. See:
    http://www.kmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1415330

    However, I've seen some hotels (again the higher end ones) that don't give
    you access even to a RF port...bastards.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Rudy Benner wrote:
    > I was in Radio Shack, seems to me I saw a box that did just that...one sec
    > while I look it up...
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_009_000&product_id=15-1214
    > its described as mono, but I see stereo audio jacks and composite video
    > input as well as S video. Have a look for yourself. Part number 15-1214.
    >
    > No, I did not find what I was looking for.
    >
    > "Monkey Monkey" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I own a notebook computer that can play video DVD disks.
    >>The video signal is output from the notebook through an
    >>S-video connector. Our idea is to use the computer as a
    >>portable DVD player in hotel rooms when we're on the road.
    >>Unfortunately, most hotel room TV's only have RF (co-axial)
    >>cable video inputs.
    >>
    >>How do I convert the S-video signal output by my notebook
    >>into an RF signal?
    >>
    >>Since RF is broad-band, on what channel should I expect the
    >>notebook's video output to appear?

    your output is usually on channel 3 or 4. It's controlled with a switch.

    Darrell Mayeda

    Knight of the ERmoron Round Table.

    NOTE: I'm tired of all the spam in my mailbox please leave my
    last name in the body of your reply. Thanks

    Darrell Mayeda, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Monkey Monkey

    Rudy Benner Guest

    The owners manual says that the RF output is always MONO, irregardless of
    whether or not the input is stereo or mono. Might be a useful item to have.
    {makes note to self, buy SKU 15-1214 while it is on sale}

    Rudy Benner, Dec 29, 2003
  6. "MR_ED_of_Course" wrote...
    > However, I've seen some hotels (again the higher end ones)
    > that don't give you access even to a RF port...bastards.

    They frequently use the RF connection as the active mechanism
    to detect if a TV set is being stolen.

    Richard Crowley, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Monkey Monkey

    Gary Tait Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:35:28 -0500, "Rudy Benner"
    <> wrote:

    >The owners manual says that the RF output is always MONO, irregardless of
    >whether or not the input is stereo or mono. Might be a useful item to have.
    >{makes note to self, buy SKU 15-1214 while it is on sale}

    They supposedly have an MTS stereo model now.

    Gary Tait, Dec 29, 2003
  8. I bought one of those RF Modulator units at Radio Shack a few weeks ago, to
    use to plug my Hi8 analog camcorder into my laptop's TV tuner, so I can use
    it for recording, and subsequent use in Movie Maker. Works great!!

    And yes, it mixes the stereo signals together into mono.

    PapaJohn

    PapaJohn \(MVP\), Dec 29, 2003
  9. Monkey Monkey

    Cybrow Guest

    On 28 Dec 2003 23:39:53 -0800, (Monkey
    Monkey) wrote:

    >I own a notebook computer that can play video DVD disks.
    >The video signal is output from the notebook through an
    >S-video connector. Our idea is to use the computer as a
    >portable DVD player in hotel rooms when we're on the road.
    >Unfortunately, most hotel room TV's only have RF (co-axial)
    >cable video inputs.
    >
    >How do I convert the S-video signal output by my notebook
    >into an RF signal?
    >
    >Since RF is broad-band, on what channel should I expect the
    >notebook's video output to appear?

    There are a number of small black boxes that will do just what
    you are looking for. They run about $25 to $35. Here are a few
    links to check out. I can't tell you how well these particular models
    work, just that they do exist.
    http://www.svideo.com/svideocoax.html
    http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchan...le CA-200&Category_Code=SATELLITE ACCESSORIES

    Cybrow, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Monkey Monkey

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Gary Tait <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:35:28 -0500, "Rudy Benner"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The owners manual says that the RF output is always MONO, irregardless of
    >>whether or not the input is stereo or mono. Might be a useful item to have.
    >>{makes note to self, buy SKU 15-1214 while it is on sale}
    >>

    >They supposedly have an MTS stereo model now.

    Catalog # 15-2525

    GMAN, Dec 31, 2003
  11. Monkey Monkey

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    >I was in Radio Shack, seems to me I saw a box that did just that...one sec
    >while I look it up...
    >
    >http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG%
    >5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1214
    >its described as mono, but I see stereo audio jacks and composite video
    >input as well as S video. Have a look for yourself. Part number 15-1214.
    >
    >No, I did not find what I was looking for.
    >
    >"Monkey Monkey" <> wrote in message
    >> I own a notebook computer that can play video DVD disks.
    >> The video signal is output from the notebook through an
    >> S-video connector. Our idea is to use the computer as a
    >> portable DVD player in hotel rooms when we're on the road.
    >> Unfortunately, most hotel room TV's only have RF (co-axial)
    >> cable video inputs.
    >>
    >> How do I convert the S-video signal output by my notebook
    >> into an RF signal?
    >>
    >> Since RF is broad-band, on what channel should I expect the
    >> notebook's video output to appear?

    This unit is better, has dual inputs,it also outputs in MTS stereo on its RF
    output (Very cool for a low cost device like this)

    http://www.radioshack.
    com/product.asp?
    catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=
    15%2D2525

    GMAN, Jan 14, 2004