Convert Pal DVD to NTSC DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Roger L. Main, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. I see this question asked a lot, but no one has given a decent answer.
    Is there a program which can convert a PAL DVD into NTSC format? I
    mean an open/convert/burn program which can do an entire disk with
    minimal user input including extras (like subtitles, alternate sound
    tracks and menus).

    Please don't respond to this post if you're going to give me one of
    the following stupid answers that I see all the time:

    1 - "It's impossible." No it isn't. It's digital media that,
    theoretically can be altered to anything. I know this because I see
    plenty of programs which can convert MPGs, AVIs etc from any format to
    any other format. This is the method I'm currently using, but I'm
    losing menus, chapter points etc.

    2 - "Why would you want to do that?" Irrelevent. Fact is, I want to
    do that. If you can't answer the question then don't ask me this dumb
    question.

    3 - "All DVD players play both formats." Wrong. Most PAL dvd players
    will play NTSC format, but the reverse isn't necessarily true.
    Besides, again, irrelevent. I want to convert, not view.

    4 - "Buy a duel-format DVD player." I don't know who is going to be
    watching my disks, and besides, again it doesn't answer the question.
    The question is "how do I convert?" not "how do I play." Once again,
    an irrelevent answer to the question.

    5 - "It's simple. Just...(followed by a list of 20 procedural steps)"
    I could do it that way, but it just goes to prove the point made in
    stupid question number 1 - it is possible to have one program do it
    all.

    Is there such a program, yet?

    tia

    Roger L. Main, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Roger L. Main

    Peter Guest

    You can convert video output using the Hollywood Plus/Creative Dxr3 MPEG
    decoder PCI card under Windows 9x/2k/XP and I've done it but the output
    was horrible. This card can do conversions both ways and NTSC to PAL
    rocks but PAL to NTSC makes the movie run slower which makes it unwatchable.
    You could then capture the video out using a video capture card and
    re-encode it
    into MPEG 2 before buring to DVD using something like NeroVision.

    I think you may also be able to RIP a movie to harddrive using something
    like
    DVDFab and then using VirtualDub convert it into a RAW AVI format whereupon
    you may be able to save it as NTSC AVI format using a program like Adobe
    Premiere Pro or Vegas. Maybe VirtualDub can do it, VirtualDub is free,
    why not download a copy and see. DVDFab is commercial however as is
    Premiere but you could get a free TRIAL version and be able to do this
    possibly.
    I'm also not sure but Premiere may be able to open Ripped VOB files.

    Peter, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Thank you for that, but you missed my point. I can convert the content
    video - no problem BUT I LOSE MENUS, CHAPTER POINTS, ETC.

    Thank you for providing an example of one of those useless, annoying

    Roger L. Main, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Roger L. Main

    P Pron Guest

    Roger L. Main <> wrote:
    > Thank you for that, but you missed my point. I can convert the

    content
    > video - no problem BUT I LOSE MENUS, CHAPTER POINTS, ETC.
    >
    > Thank you for providing an example of one of those useless, annoying

    Had you considered the possibility that you might have received more
    than one answer in nearly a month if your original post hadn't made it
    so obvious that you're a complete jerk?

    Just wondering......:)
    paul

    P Pron, Jul 22, 2004
  5. I'll take that as a compliment, dickwad.

    Oh, by the way, bite me.

    Roger L. Main, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Roger L. Main

    Justin Guest

    Roger L. Main wrote on [6 Aug 2004 10:32:02 -0700]:
    > I'll take that as a compliment, dickwad.
    >
    > Oh, by the way, bite me.

    How to win friends and gain assistance.

    NOT.

    Justin, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Roger L. Main

    P Pron Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > Roger L. Main wrote on [6 Aug 2004 10:32:02 -0700]:
    >> I'll take that as a compliment, dickwad.
    >>
    >> Oh, by the way, bite me.

    > How to win friends and gain assistance.
    >
    > NOT.

    Absolutely - and it took him two weeks to compose the message,

    paul
    :)

    P Pron, Aug 6, 2004