  1. Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 17, 2013

  2. Patrick FitzGerald

    victor Guest

    On 17/04/2013 2:49 p.m., Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    > MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.
    >

    > Patrick

    Burrrn
    imgburn
    Nero
    itunes
    Windows Media Player.
    victor, Apr 17, 2013

  3. On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:04:48 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 17/04/2013 2:49 p.m., Patrick FitzGerald wrote:
    >>

    >> Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    >> MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.
    >>

    >> Patrick
    >>

    >Burrrn
    >imgburn
    >Nero
    >itunes
    >Windows Media Player.

    Thank you

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 17, 2013
  4. Patrick FitzGerald

    victor Guest

    On 17/04/2013 6:16 p.m., geoff wrote:

    > "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    >> MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.

    > Don 't do it. You'll lose a second bunch of sound quality with the
    > re-encoding.
    >
    > geoff

    Its pcm, there's no re encoding.
    victor, Apr 17, 2013
  5. On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:16:58 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    >> MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.

    >Don 't do it. You'll lose a second bunch of sound quality with the
    >re-encoding.
    >
    >geoff

    NOTE: Its all digital just does not happen.
    Frank Williams, Apr 17, 2013
  6. On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:16:58 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Can anyone recommend a good program for converting
    >> MP3 format to CDA - preferably free.

    >Don 't do it. You'll lose a second bunch of sound quality with the
    >re-encoding.
    >
    >geoff

    One other thing is I have MP3 CD with 5 CD's volumes on it, you cant
    move 5 CD volumes in wave format to a single CD.

    Best to get a MP3 CD player.
    Frank Williams, Apr 17, 2013
  7. Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 17, 2013
  8. Frank Williams, Apr 17, 2013
  9. Patrick FitzGerald

    victor Guest

    On 18/04/2013 9:02 a.m., geoff wrote:

    > "victor" <> wrote in message
    >> On 17/04/2013 6:16 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don 't do it. You'll lose a second bunch of sound quality with the
    >>> re-encoding.
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Its pcm, there's no re encoding.

    > Um no. MP3 is not PCM (well not PCM in the normal linear sense of the term).
    > That's why it's only a fraction of the size of the original PCM (or
    > CD-Audio) file and has noticable deficiencies and artifacts, the degree
    > varying with voracity of the data-reduction (terminal bit-rate).
    >
    > I guess you could transcode into "WMA Lossless" format which would not loss
    > 'quality'. Not sure what the file-size implications are.
    >
    > As WMA uses a totally different modified discrete transform coding different
    > to MP3 , though similar in nature, to turn an MP3 into WMA (other than WMA
    > Lossless) requires an additional perceptual- encoding process, which is
    > unlikely to reduce the filesize much but will inevitably further damage the
    > sound quality. Otherwise you could simply change the file extension !
    >
    > Best approach is to encode directly from the original PCM files (or audio
    > CD if relevant) to WMA. Or transcode the MP3 into WMA Lossless.
    >
    > This may help:
    > http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding
    >
    > geoff

    Interesting but irrelevant.
    The OP HAS mp3 files.
    He WANTS a CD, which IS PCM
    So there is just a decoding process.
    No transcoding, no re encoding, no loss.
    I don't know why you were telling him not to do it.
    victor, Apr 18, 2013
  10. Patrick FitzGerald

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-04-18, victor <> wrote:
    > On 18/04/2013 9:02 a.m., geoff wrote:
    >>
    >> "victor" <> wrote in message

    >>> Its pcm, there's no re encoding.

    >> Um no. MP3 is not PCM (well not PCM in the normal linear sense of the term).
    >> That's why it's only a fraction of the size of the original PCM (or
    >> CD-Audio) file and has noticable deficiencies and artifacts, the degree
    >> varying with voracity of the data-reduction (terminal bit-rate).
    >>
    >> I guess you could transcode into "WMA Lossless" format which would not loss
    >> 'quality'. Not sure what the file-size implications are.
    >>
    >> As WMA uses a totally different modified discrete transform coding different
    >> to MP3 , though similar in nature, to turn an MP3 into WMA (other than WMA
    >> Lossless) requires an additional perceptual- encoding process, which is
    >> unlikely to reduce the filesize much but will inevitably further damage the
    >> sound quality. Otherwise you could simply change the file extension !
    >>
    >> Best approach is to encode directly from the original PCM files (or audio
    >> CD if relevant) to WMA. Or transcode the MP3 into WMA Lossless.
    >>
    >> This may help:
    >> http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>

    > Interesting but irrelevant.
    > The OP HAS mp3 files.
    > He WANTS a CD, which IS PCM
    > So there is just a decoding process.

    You decode a file to get it back to some useful for human interaction, ie
    music, probably in this case.

    Saving the file as some else does require "conversion", otherwise why is an
    MP3 file not the same as PCM?

    Just being picky ;-)

    > No transcoding, no re encoding,

    Transcoding is decoding followed by encoding yes?
    Gordon, Apr 18, 2013
  11. Patrick FitzGerald

    victor Guest

    On 18/04/2013 5:29 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-04-18, victor <> wrote:
    >> On 18/04/2013 9:02 a.m., geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "victor" <> wrote in message

    > You decode a file to get it back to some useful for human interaction, ie
    > music, probably in this case.
    >
    > Saving the file as some else does require "conversion", otherwise why is an
    > MP3 file not the same as PCM?
    >
    > Just being picky ;-)
    >

    >> No transcoding, no re encoding,

    > Transcoding is decoding followed by encoding yes?

    There is no lossy compression in the conversion process, so he wouldn't
    "lose a second bunch of sound quality with the re-encoding."
    It doesn't get converted to analogue audio then resampled, or re compressed
    victor, Apr 18, 2013
  12. Patrick FitzGerald

    Richard Guest

    On 4/18/2013 6:10 PM, victor wrote:

    > There is no lossy compression in the conversion process, so he wouldn't
    > "lose a second bunch of sound quality with the re-encoding."
    > It doesn't get converted to analogue audio then resampled, or re compressed

    Actually you do in the conversion of the floating point output of the
    MP3 decoder down to the 16 bit you need on the audio cd, depending on
    the source of the MP3 file. Doubt it will make much difference to most
    people but the dither to 16 bit is where you will find the difference
    between different converters.

    Then there is the sample rate conversion that may have to be applied as
    well, since audio cd's will only take 44.1kHz material.
    Richard, Apr 18, 2013
  13. Patrick FitzGerald

    rrockwell

    Joined:
    May 26, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Convert MP3 to CDA

    You really can not convert mp3 to cda because a "cda" file isn't really a file, but just a representation of the track on the audio cd. What you want to do is convert MP3 to a wav format. Which is easy to do. I searched google for "online audio converter". Then when you burn it to a cd it will show up as a CDA file.
    Hope that helps...
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
    rrockwell, May 26, 2013