    way to convert them into digital format so i can view them on the
    comp/CD or upload them on the website (apart from a scanner)?

    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have lots of pictures in prints (hard copy format). Which is the best
    > way to convert them into digital format so i can view them on the
    > comp/CD or upload them on the website (apart from a scanner)?

    Hi

    Don't quite know what you want us to suggest.

    Your prints need to be scanned or photographed.

    You could do it with a Digital Camera, but a Scanner is designed
    specifically for that job.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Sep 23, 2006

  3. jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have lots of pictures in prints (hard copy format). Which is the best
    > way to convert them into digital format so i can view them on the
    > comp/CD or upload them on the website (apart from a scanner)?

    Virtually any decent flatbed scanner will do fine--even a $50.00 one.

    You will need a photo editing program to tweak the images on your computer
    after you've scanned them (to correct for
    brightness/contrast/sharpness/color balance etc. For a novice, Corel Paint
    Shop Pro Photo XI has advantages, because it has several "One Button"
    adjustments that you can use in the beginning that do not require you to be
    an expert at photo editing. It also has a full suite of professional tools
    that you can use later as your skill increase. It also has an excellent
    Learning Center that guides you step by step, and it ships with 2 hours of
    video tutorials that show you many techniques right on your computer screen.

    I've used that application for years, and it does more than I would ever
    need. Best part is that it is designed from the ground up for someone like
    yourself, who wants professional results and doesn't know where to start.
    In that sense, it beats PhotoShop hands down. You can download a 30-day
    trial version from www.corel.com. If you choose to buy it, be sure to order
    the CD, not the download version, as the CD ships with a printed manual and
    the two-hours of video tutorials. Corel is offering free shipping through
    September 30, so the CD version won't cost you any more than the download
    version. (What I did was order the FREE download upgrade, so I could use it
    right away, and I also ordered the CD version with the manual and tutorials,
    which arrived in a few days--long before the expiration of the 30-day trial
    period.)

    Finally, you'll need a printer if you want to print copies of your
    newly-enhanced photos. There are numerous advantages to uploading them to
    Kodak Gallery and letting them print them (on real photo paper, using real
    photo dyes--not inkjet) and sending them to you. They arrive in 3 days,
    they cost $.15 each for 4 x 6, and you don't have to buy expensive ink
    cartridges. Their only disadvantage is that you don't get the print
    immediately, as you would if you printed it yourself. The main advantage is
    that you get "real" photographs--the kind that everyone used to get.

    That covers it--your scanner, your editing software and your printing. The
    scanner and the software can be gotten for under $150 for both. The
    printing costs nothing up front. You only pay for prints that you have
    made.

    Finally, there is an excellent site that explains everything you need to
    know about how to scan photos. Bookmark the site and go there often:

    www.scantips.com

    jeremy, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Frank ess Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I have lots of pictures in prints (hard copy format). Which is the
    >>best
    >> way to convert them into digital format so i can view them on the
    >> comp/CD or upload them on the website (apart from a scanner)?
    >>

    > Virtually any decent flatbed scanner will do fine--even a $50.00
    > one.

    <snip useful but Off-Point material>

    > Finally, there is an excellent site that explains everything you
    > need to know about how to scan photos. Bookmark the site and go
    > there often:
    >
    > www.scantips.com

    If you are bound and determined to use "apart from a scanner" you're
    probably implying less-than-stringent reproduction requirements.

    If you have a digital camera and decent weather, put a table in the
    sun and snap away. The results will not match anything near some
    folks' wants, but the content will for the most part be visible on a
    monitor and useful to those who are interested.

    Of course there are upgrades to every element of that process: better
    equipment, better lighting, better technique, post-processing. If you
    are going to get into all that, you might as well beg, borrow or steal
    a scanner. Even courser, you might pay someone to do the scanning and
    'burning' for you; that way you'll be saved the drudgery. It
    eventually _is_ drudgery, one way or another: you pay to avoid it,
    either in money or in time.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 23, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I have lots of pictures in prints (hard copy format). Which is the best
    > way to convert them into digital format so i can view them on the
    > comp/CD or upload them on the website (apart from a scanner)?

    There are service bureaus, even places like Ritz stores, that will do
    this service and provide you a CD. However, if you have many to do,
    you will spend more than the price of a scanner to get it done. If you
    do not want to spend the time scanning, these places will do it, but
    you will pay the price.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 24, 2006
  6. M Guest

    Thanks