    manually.
    So, am I safe?

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, May 23, 2009

  2. James D. Andrews

    philo Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    > I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    > improve system performance for Win XP.
    > Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging programs
    > and files?
    > I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    > manually.
    > So, am I safe?
    >
    > Woof

    NTFS will have better fault tolerance and better cluster size than fat32

    no need to use a third party utility, as XP already has the "convert"
    command
    philo, May 24, 2009

  3. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    > I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    > improve system performance for Win XP.
    > Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging
    > programs and files?
    > I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    > manually.
    > So, am I safe?
    >
    > Woof

    I could be wrong (it happens alot), but I think to change the file
    structure, you will be required to reformat. If this is true, your HDD will
    be wiped clean.
    Jeff Strickland, May 24, 2009
  4. James D. Andrews

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    >> I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    >> improve system performance for Win XP.
    >> Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging
    >> programs and files?
    >> I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    >> manually.
    >> So, am I safe?
    >>
    >> Woof
    >>

    > I could be wrong (it happens alot), but I think to change the file
    > structure, you will be required to reformat. If this is true, your HDD will
    > be wiped clean.

    In your WinXP "Help and Support", type "convert" as a search term.

    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    At least that handles the case of going from FAT32 to NTFS.

    Paul
    Paul, May 24, 2009
  5. James D. Andrews

    philo Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    >> I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    >> improve system performance for Win XP.
    >> Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging
    >> programs and files?
    >> I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    >> manually.
    >> So, am I safe?
    >>
    >> Woof
    >>

    > I could be wrong (it happens alot), but I think to change the file
    > structure, you will be required to reformat. If this is true, your HDD will
    > be wiped clean.

    Not at all true

    converting from fat32 to NTFS is a fairly safe operation

    however:

    It is always advised to have all data backed up
    philo, May 24, 2009
  6. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    >>> I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    >>> improve system performance for Win XP.
    >>> Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging
    >>> programs and files?
    >>> I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    >>> manually.
    >>> So, am I safe?
    >>>
    >>> Woof
    >>>

    >> I could be wrong (it happens alot), but I think to change the file
    >> structure, you will be required to reformat. If this is true, your HDD
    >> will be wiped clean.
    >>

    > Not at all true
    >
    > converting from fat32 to NTFS is a fairly safe operation
    >
    > however:
    >
    > It is always advised to have all data backed up

    I've only made that change a couple of times, and I always reformatted.
    Well, that's not entirely true. I used a Win XP installation CD and selected
    the Full Install option, and selected NTFS for the file structure.

    Since I've only done it a couple of times, I can't recall the specifics, but
    I'm pretty sure I was having OS issues at the time, and the Full Install
    seemed like the right thing to be doing, and for whatever reason, I felt a
    need to reformat anyhow. I did not know I could change the file structure
    without a reformat. Thanks.

    ..
    Jeff Strickland, May 24, 2009
  7. James D. Andrews

    philo Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    >>> I could be wrong (it happens alot), but I think to change the file
    >>> structure, you will be required to reformat. If this is true, your HDD
    >>> will be wiped clean.
    >>>

    >> Not at all true
    >>
    >> converting from fat32 to NTFS is a fairly safe operation
    >>
    >> however:
    >>
    >> It is always advised to have all data backed up

    > I've only made that change a couple of times, and I always reformatted.
    > Well, that's not entirely true. I used a Win XP installation CD and selected
    > the Full Install option, and selected NTFS for the file structure.
    >
    > Since I've only done it a couple of times, I can't recall the specifics, but
    > I'm pretty sure I was having OS issues at the time, and the Full Install
    > seemed like the right thing to be doing, and for whatever reason, I felt a
    > need to reformat anyhow. I did not know I could change the file structure
    > without a reformat. Thanks.
    >

    > .

    Yes MS has the built-in tools to go from fat32 to NTFS

    I've never heard of a problem, but a backup of data is always a good idea
    philo, May 24, 2009
  8. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > My 120 Gb hard drive is partitioned for FAT32.
    > I just read that NTFS is better at handling larger hard drives and would
    > improve system performance for Win XP.
    > Is this true? Is it safe to re-partition to NTFS without damaging
    > programs and files?
    > I downloaded a program designed to accomplish this rather than doing it
    > manually.
    > So, am I safe?
    >
    > Woof

    Thanks to all for the information.
    As it turns out, I didn't get around to this.

    Upon installation of .NET 3.5, I had a Fatal System crash that locked me out
    of everything. Couldn't Restore from Windows because I couldn't get into
    Windows, and it wouldn't allow retrieval from DOS. I tried re-installing
    XP, but it wouldn't allow it because my Install disk is SP2, and I had
    already installed SP3.

    Eventually, after trying everything I could think of to no success, I
    re-loaded Windows ME, which allowed me to back up my programs and files.
    But even from Win ME, I couldn't get XP to reload.

    It came down to Format C:. ---- ugh! --- and then reloading XP from scratch.
    Well, at least I got my files. You more advanced techies out there could
    probably have figured it out --- but I couldn't get to my newsgroups, and I
    couldn't wait much longer.

    Oddly, it didn't ask me about repartitioning and just loaded onto the FAT32.
    I'm done fighting with the **** for awhile.
    It's taken me more than 3-4 days to reload all my software and files and I'm
    exhausted. Think I'll play Diablo 2 for awhile to take out my frustrations.

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, May 28, 2009