    I have a question can I take a fat HD and use convert.exe to NTFS HD? Will
    it keep the data. The HD that I have is boot HD and I would like to change
    the fat to NTSF with out reformation.

    Fat Bastard, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Fat Bastard

    DKI Guest

    I know you can convert a fat hdd with put loosing data
    Type this in the command prompt
    CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
    that is the command to convert the hdd from fat to ntfs without formating.
    Reboot and let it convert the disk

    this method will not loose any data as well but i find that its better to
    just format the drive with ntfs then convert it.

    DKI, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Yes. Syntax is:
    convert <driveletter>: /type:NTFS

    Note that a boot volume will require a reboot, and will do the conversion
    after the reboot, before Windows can start back up.

    Structurally, there are some concerns about the overall efficiency of the
    drive created by conversion versus starting fresh, but it's a tradeoff
    against the ability to convert without have to rebuild the whole machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2005