Convert Cisco 857 to 857w?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Laurent, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. Laurent

    Laurent Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a Cisco 857w with the POTS ADSL dead because of a lightning storm,
    the router is operationnal but the CD led is desperatyly blinking.

    I tried to open the box discovered a (presumed) fuse labelled F1, tested
    OK, so I declared the 857w dead.

    I noticed that the Wifi part is a module connected via a SoDIMM-like
    connector, do you think it is possible to buy a brand new 857 and add the
    Wifi module in it to make it a 857w?

    RAM and Flash are the same size between 857 and 857w.

    Any experience would be appreciated.

    Thank you for your attention.

    Best regards.

    Laurent.

    PS: A low end wifi router that costs 50 USD is still alive on the POTS line
    next to the one on wich the 857w was connected. It seems that price does
    not makes quality?

    Laurent, Jul 14, 2007

  2. Laurent <> writes:
    >I have a Cisco 857w with the POTS ADSL dead because of a lightning storm,
    >the router is operationnal but the CD led is desperatyly blinking.

    >I tried to open the box discovered a (presumed) fuse labelled F1, tested
    >OK, so I declared the 857w dead.

    >I noticed that the Wifi part is a module connected via a SoDIMM-like
    >connector, do you think it is possible to buy a brand new 857 and add the
    >Wifi module in it to make it a 857w?

    No, I had one open once, the parts were either not there, or a totally
    different motherboard. I can't remember which it was. Cisco typically
    makes a motherboard for many systems, and then doesn't populate the parts.

    You should have 90 days warantee from cisco. If its past that, I
    haven't had any problem in the past putting a small broken box onto
    Smartnet, and then calling in the repair after that. Since NBD
    Smartnet for a 857 is all of $32 (CON-SNT-CISC857A), find a reseller
    that will do that, and you'll have a new one in your hands NBD in a
    cross-ship.

    >PS: A low end wifi router that costs 50 USD is still alive on the POTS line
    >next to the one on wich the 857w was connected. It seems that price does
    >not makes quality?

    Lightning can't tell how much things cost, and is unpredictable as
    hell what it'll fry. Next time, it could be the opposit, or, both, or neither.
    It'll never do the same thing twice.

    Doug McIntyre, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Laurent

    Laurent Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote in

    > No, I had one open once, the parts were either not there, or a totally
    > different motherboard. I can't remember which it was. Cisco typically
    > makes a motherboard for many systems, and then doesn't populate the
    > parts.
    >
    > You should have 90 days warantee from cisco. If its past that, I
    > haven't had any problem in the past putting a small broken box onto
    > Smartnet, and then calling in the repair after that. Since NBD
    > Smartnet for a 857 is all of $32 (CON-SNT-CISC857A), find a reseller
    > that will do that, and you'll have a new one in your hands NBD in a
    > cross-ship.

    I did not know that CON-SNT-CISC857A was only $32... I will ask my
    reseller on monday. But do you think that Cisco will be OK to be paid
    $32 to replace a dead 857? Would be nice as I am not very happy to pay
    hundreds dollars for a new one.

    I will check with my reseller, thank you for this idea.

    Best regards.

    >>PS: A low end wifi router that costs 50 USD is still alive on the POTS
    >>line next to the one on wich the 857w was connected. It seems that
    >>price does not makes quality?

    > Lightning can't tell how much things cost, and is unpredictable as
    > hell what it'll fry. Next time, it could be the opposit, or, both, or
    > neither. It'll never do the same thing twice.

    I hope that it will not do the same thing twice :eek:)

    Laurent, Jul 14, 2007
  4. Laurent

    Laurent Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote in

    > You should have 90 days warantee from cisco. If its past that, I
    > haven't had any problem in the past putting a small broken box onto
    > Smartnet, and then calling in the repair after that. Since NBD
    > Smartnet for a 857 is all of $32 (CON-SNT-CISC857A), find a reseller
    > that will do that, and you'll have a new one in your hands NBD in a
    > cross-ship.

    Hello Doug,

    I have subscribed a smartnet for this box as you suggested and the new 857
    is now up and running. RIP for the old one.

    Thank you for the idea.

    Best regards.

    Laurent, Aug 14, 2007