    either.

    Any help in this area.
    Thanks in advance.

    JCO, Nov 10, 2006

  2. JCO

    mcheu Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 03:03:59 GMT, "JCO" <> wrote:

    >Working on a school project. I have an 8mm camera but no way to get that on
    >to a computer. I was able to get it on my DVR machine, therefore was able
    >to create a DVD of our project from the analog tape.
    >
    >Now I need to get the DVD format (VOB & TS Folders) to a format so that it
    >will play on the computer. That way, embed it into a powerpoint
    >presentation (and add other stuff to it).
    >
    >I've been reviwing DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter but they don't seem to convert
    >my DVD into a computer format. I have Pinnacle 9.5 installed, however, it
    >will not take a DVD as an input source. If it did, then I can convert to
    >Mpeg or AVI with no issues. I also have Roxio 9 installed and reviewing the
    >options there. I don't think it can rip the DVD into a computer format
    >either.
    >
    >Any help in this area.
    >Thanks in advance.

    Flask and XMPEG (an improved mod of Flask) will do what you ask. The
    formats available for conversion depend on what codec's you've got
    installed. The distributions include an MPEG1 codec called bbmpeg,
    but you can do XVID, DIVX, MPEG2, etc. provided you install the
    codecs and directshow filters.

    http://www.xmpeg.net/website/

    http://flaskmpeg.sourceforge.net/

    VirtualDub will also do it:

    http://www.virtualdub.org/

    There are probably other transcoders out there, but these are the ones
    I've actually used.

    X-MPEG is probably the easiest (to me anyways) as it incorporates an
    IFO parser, so it can deal with DVD-video more easily. It doesn't do
    decryption though, but as it's a home video, I doubt that's an issue.
    Thanks.

    MCheu

    mcheu, Nov 10, 2006

  3. JCO

    Netmask Guest

    "JCO" <> wrote in message
    > Working on a school project. I have an 8mm camera but no way to get that
    > on
    > to a computer. I was able to get it on my DVR machine, therefore was able
    > to create a DVD of our project from the analog tape.
    >
    > Now I need to get the DVD format (VOB & TS Folders) to a format so that it
    > will play on the computer. That way, embed it into a powerpoint
    > presentation (and add other stuff to it).
    >
    > I've been reviwing DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter but they don't seem to
    > convert
    > my DVD into a computer format. I have Pinnacle 9.5 installed, however, it
    > will not take a DVD as an input source. If it did, then I can convert to
    > Mpeg or AVI with no issues. I also have Roxio 9 installed and reviewing
    > the
    > options there. I don't think it can rip the DVD into a computer format
    > either.
    >
    > Any help in this area.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Considering the source material a simple way to do it is to just copy the
    VOB files to your computer and open them in a mpeg editor like Womble or
    VideRedo, you can then edit if necessary and export your handiwork as a
    mpeg2 or mpeg1 file etc.
    You can in many cases and considering your source is home made and not a
    commercial DVD, you can simply rename the file suffix from VOB to MPG.

    Netmask, Nov 10, 2006
  4. JCO

    JCO Guest

    FlaskMpeg seems to work okay.
    This is a big help. Program is a bit awkward, but I finally figured it out.
    Thanks for the help.

    JCO, Nov 10, 2006
  5. JCO

    JCO Guest

    I will review Womble & VideRedo tomorrow. I tried the renaming of the vob
    files but that did not work. The largest vob seems to allow the audio but
    no picture. Will let you know how the other two programs work out.

    Thanks

    JCO, Nov 10, 2006
  6. JCO

    JCO Guest

    The Womble software works really well. The GUI was kind of awkward but I
    finally figured out how to convert the vob to a different format. Once I
    figured it out, it worked great.

    I did not get the VideoRedo to work with my existing DVD. It seems to want
    only a file from the hard drive that is already in mpeg format for editing.
    However, I admit, once the Womble worked, I really did not spend much time
    understanding VideoRedo.

    Thanks Netmask, so much for the options you gave me. I've achieved my task
    and now must complete my project for school.

    Thanks also to mcheu for suggesting the FlaskMpeg program that also worked.

    Great newsgroup...

    JCO, Nov 10, 2006
  7. JCO

    Netmask Guest

    "JCO" <> wrote in message
    > The Womble software works really well. The GUI was kind of awkward but I
    > finally figured out how to convert the vob to a different format. Once I
    > figured it out, it worked great.
    >
    > I did not get the VideoRedo to work with my existing DVD. It seems to want
    > only a file from the hard drive that is already in mpeg format for
    > editing.
    > However, I admit, once the Womble worked, I really did not spend much time
    > understanding VideoRedo.
    >
    > Thanks Netmask, so much for the options you gave me. I've achieved my task
    > and now must complete my project for school.
    >
    > Thanks also to mcheu for suggesting the FlaskMpeg program that also
    > worked.
    >
    > Great newsgroup...
    >

    > "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JCO" <> wrote in message
    >> > Working on a school project. I have an 8mm camera but no way to get

    > that
    >> > on
    >> > to a computer. I was able to get it on my DVR machine, therefore was

    > able
    >> > to create a DVD of our project from the analog tape.
    >> >
    >> > Now I need to get the DVD format (VOB & TS Folders) to a format so that

    > it
    >> > will play on the computer. That way, embed it into a powerpoint
    >> > presentation (and add other stuff to it).
    >> >
    >> > I've been reviwing DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter but they don't seem to
    >> > convert
    >> > my DVD into a computer format. I have Pinnacle 9.5 installed, however,

    > it
    >> > will not take a DVD as an input source. If it did, then I can convert

    >> > Mpeg or AVI with no issues. I also have Roxio 9 installed and
    >> > reviewing
    >> > the
    >> > options there. I don't think it can rip the DVD into a computer format
    >> > either.
    >> >
    >> > Any help in this area.
    >> > Thanks in advance.
    >> >

    >> Considering the source material a simple way to do it is to just copy the
    >> VOB files to your computer and open them in a mpeg editor like Womble or
    >> VideRedo, you can then edit if necessary and export your handiwork as a
    >> mpeg2 or mpeg1 file etc.
    >> You can in many cases and considering your source is home made and not a
    >> commercial DVD, you can simply rename the file suffix from VOB to MPG.

    Glad it worked - Womble is a very useful program.

    Netmask, Nov 11, 2006
  8. JCO

    Ol Guest

    Try DVD2AVI Ripper
    http://www.dvd2aviripper.com/

    Ol, Nov 11, 2006
  9. JCO wrote:
    > Working on a school project. I have an 8mm camera but no way to get that on
    > to a computer. I was able to get it on my DVR machine, therefore was able
    > to create a DVD of our project from the analog tape.
    >
    > Now I need to get the DVD format (VOB & TS Folders) to a format so that it
    > will play on the computer. That way, embed it into a powerpoint
    > presentation (and add other stuff to it).
    >
    > I've been reviwing DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter but they don't seem to convert
    > my DVD into a computer format. I have Pinnacle 9.5 installed, however, it
    > will not take a DVD as an input source. If it did, then I can convert to
    > Mpeg or AVI with no issues. I also have Roxio 9 installed and reviewing the
    > options there. I don't think it can rip the DVD into a computer format
    > either.
    >
    > Any help in this area.
    > Thanks in advance.

    DVDdecryptor will copy the files onto your hard drive.
    Then use Burn4Free to write them to a DVD on your computer.
    But that DVD may not work with a settop model of DVD player. Some are
    brand specific.

    Anthony Marsh, Nov 11, 2006
  10. JCO

    JCO Guest

    I did find out later that if I configure DVD Decryptor properly, the vob
    file that is produced can be renamed to mpg or mpeg. This allowed to play
    perfect on Media Player. I've come full circle. I started with DVD
    Decryptor, thought it would not work.... spent a whole day looking at other
    free software just to find out that DVD Decryptor worked after all. Go
    figure.

    JCO, Nov 12, 2006
  11. JCO

    JCO Guest

    The problem I found with DVD2AVI is that it would only do 50% of the
    conversion when using the free download. If there was a way to do the 2nd
    half, then I could join the two together but there was no way to do that
    either.

    Thanks

    JCO, Nov 12, 2006
  12. JCO

    Guest

    JCO wrote:
    > I did find out later that if I configure DVD Decryptor properly, the vob
    > file that is produced can be renamed to mpg or mpeg. This allowed to play
    > perfect on Media Player. I've come full circle. I started with DVD
    > Decryptor, thought it would not work.... spent a whole day looking at other
    > free software just to find out that DVD Decryptor worked after all. Go
    > figure.

    You need hardware. I mostly copied DVD movie so I can watch over and
    over again on
    VCD format. I don't need DVD format so I copied it and watched on VCD
    format.
    How to copy from DVD to VCD format requires both hardware and
    software and many
    hours of experience. You will eventually arrive on answer what you are
    looking for.
    Trial make perfect.

    > "Anthony Marsh" <> wrote in message
    > > JCO wrote:
    > > > Working on a school project. I have an 8mm camera but no way to get

    > that on
    > > > to a computer. I was able to get it on my DVR machine, therefore was

    > able
    > > > to create a DVD of our project from the analog tape.
    > > >
    > > > Now I need to get the DVD format (VOB & TS Folders) to a format so that

    > it
    > > > will play on the computer. That way, embed it into a powerpoint
    > > > presentation (and add other stuff to it).
    > > >
    > > > I've been reviwing DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter but they don't seem to

    > convert
    > > > my DVD into a computer format. I have Pinnacle 9.5 installed, however,

    > it
    > > > will not take a DVD as an input source. If it did, then I can convert

    > > > Mpeg or AVI with no issues. I also have Roxio 9 installed and reviewing

    > the
    > > > options there. I don't think it can rip the DVD into a computer format
    > > > either.
    > > >
    > > > Any help in this area.
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >

    > > DVDdecryptor will copy the files onto your hard drive.
    > > Then use Burn4Free to write them to a DVD on your computer.
    > > But that DVD may not work with a settop model of DVD player. Some are
    > > brand specific.

    , Nov 15, 2006