    Jeff Guest

    What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
    card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks
    Jeff, Jun 23, 2008

  2. "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
    >card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

    I think taking screen shots using the video mode in a P&S is a rather
    poor way, but probably the best you can do using digital photo
    equipment.

    You may want to ask in a NG that actually deals with video, thou. People
    there are probably more familiar with video equipment.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Jeff

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
    > card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

    It could depend on a number of things, including how fast your
    processor is and your usb speed. Also resolutions, check what is on
    offer for what kind of recording quality you're after. I haven't used
    a dvd device but have used 2 tv cards, the cheapest had smaller
    resolutions yet seemed to give cleaner pictures, the more expensive
    didn't have as many connections and seemed a grainier picture.

    Now I use a dvd recorder with hard drive for these things, record to
    hard drive in best quality for length and do any snipping there before
    transferring to disc.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    They are some old videos I would like to preserve on DVD's. I will try a
    video card with TV in see the resolution. Thanks

    Jeff, Jun 23, 2008
  5. Ï "Jeff" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
    > card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

    Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
    approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
    Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
    way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
    digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer. Everything
    else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital camera (I presume
    you have one).

    HTH,

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 23, 2008
  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Are you talking about a digital camcorder or camera? I have a digital
    camera but are not sure what you mean.

    Jeff, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Jeff

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD.  Should I use a TV video
    > card or USB device and recommendations.  Thanks

    Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
    recorder
    ransley, Jun 23, 2008
  8. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The recorder is a burner on my computer. I don't have a video card with TV
    in. I would have to get a card or looking for another way.

    Jeff, Jun 23, 2008
  9. Jeff

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > The recorder is a burner on my computer. I don't have a video card with TV
    > in. I would have to get a card or looking for another way.
    >
    > "ransley" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
    > > card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

    > Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
    > recorder

    a hard disc dvd recorder usually does help, specially if you need to
    edit.

    Paul Heslop, Jun 23, 2008
  10. Jeff

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD.  Should I use a TV video
    > card or USB device and recommendations.  Thanks

    If its only a a few 8mm many camera stores offer the service, it would
    be cheaper then buying equipment for 1 job, Real cheap dvd recorders
    can do a poor job, I returned one it was so bad and paid up. Even with
    a card you need a program to capture it, and get it to dvd. I dought
    its expensive to pay to have it done and it will be done right.
    ransley, Jun 23, 2008
  11. Ï "Jeff" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Are you talking about a digital camcorder or camera? I have a digital
    > camera but are not sure what you mean.
    >
    > "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ï "Jeff" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >>> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV
    >>> video card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
    >> approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
    >> Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
    >> way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
    >> digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer.
    >> Everything else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital
    >> camera (I presume you have one).
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>

    >> --

    A digital camcorder, sorry. It has the feature of converting an analogue
    video signal (from VHS or 8mm)to a digital DV stream, that can be imported
    through firewire to your computer, and then burnt on DVD. It's easier than
    it sounds.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 24, 2008