conversion of tiff file using irfanview loses comments.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by simon, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. simon

    simon Guest

    simon, Mar 18, 2007

  2. simon

    simon Guest

    Nobody got any suggestions?

    --

    www.srsteel.co.uk
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/landscape
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Peru

    simon, Mar 19, 2007

  3. simon

    Chris Luck Guest

    simon wrote:
    > I wanted to use irfanview for batch conversion of a load of tiff files from
    > 16 bit to 8 bit - resizing at the same time
    >
    > however, during conversion of the tiff files I've lost the comments added
    > using 'File Info' in photoshop.
    >
    > Is it possible to make the canges with irfanview and keep the comments?

    The 3.99 version Plug-ins help page says..
    "22. IPTC: allows IrfanView to show/edit IPTC and Comment information from
    JPG files." Nothing about Tiffs.

    Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't think it is
    common practice for 16bit Tiffs to contain exif or other data, unlike 8bit
    (though I am aware of exceptions). You might contact Irfan with a feature
    request.

    --
    Regards,
    Chris Luck

    Chris Luck, Mar 20, 2007
  4. simon

    simon Guest

    the data in question was actually Keywords added using Lightroom.
    I processed the files and keyworded them in lightroom and then wanted to
    batch resize them.
    Irfanview kept the Exif data - aperture, focal length etc - but did not
    retain the keywording when it resized them.
    I overcame it by removing the keyworded 16 bit files to another folder so
    lightroom couldn't find them - and then pointed lightroom to the resized 8
    bit files.
    I then re-exported the 8 bit files to reinstate the keywords from
    lightroom....

    I'll make a feature request...

    simon, Mar 20, 2007
  5. simon

    Sachin Garg Guest

    On Mar 20, 10:49 pm, "simon" <> wrote:
    > "Chris Luck" <> wrote in message

    > > simon wrote:
    > >> I wanted to use irfanview for batch conversion of a load of tiff files
    > >> from
    > >> 16 bit to 8 bit - resizing at the same time

    > >> however, during conversion of the tiff files I've lost the comments added
    > >> using 'File Info' in photoshop.

    > >> Is it possible to make the canges with irfanview and keep the comments?

    > > The 3.99 version Plug-ins help page says..
    > > "22. IPTC: allows IrfanView to show/edit IPTC and Comment information from
    > > JPG files." Nothing about Tiffs.

    > > Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't think it is
    > > common practice for 16bit Tiffs to contain exif or other data, unlike 8bit
    > > (though I am aware of exceptions). You might contact Irfan with a feature
    > > request.

    > the data in question was actually Keywords added using Lightroom.
    > I processed the files and keyworded them in lightroom and then wanted to
    > batch resize them.
    > Irfanview kept the Exif data - aperture, focal length etc - but did not
    > retain the keywording when it resized them.
    > I overcame it by removing the keyworded 16 bit files to another folder so
    > lightroom couldn't find them - and then pointed lightroom to the resized 8
    > bit files.
    > I then re-exported the 8 bit files to reinstate the keywords from
    > lightroom....
    >
    > I'll make a feature request...

    Irfanview uses libtiff for tiff conversion support and libtiff's
    default behavior is to ignore 'unknown' tags. Generally speaking,
    this is not a limitation but a feature, because blindly copying tags
    it can't understand can corrupt the file/tag.

    In specific cases like yours, it does makes sense to blindly copy the
    unknown tags and maybe that can be added as an option in libtiff so
    that applications like Irfanview can then decide what behavior they
    prefer.

    It will make more sense to first talk to libtiff guys about this,
    rather than Irfanview.

    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.c10n.info

    Sachin Garg, Mar 20, 2007