Conversion into IEEE-754 (floating point)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Christian Christmann, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I need some help with the conversion of decimal numbers into
    the IEEE-754 format (floating point).

    There seem to be two possible formats. The one I need is defined
    as follows:

    Sm, C, M

    with Sm = bit-vector representation of the mantissa sign
    C = characteristic
    M = bit-vector representation of abs(mantissa)

    I could not find any information in the Internet how to practically
    convert decimals into floating point numbers using C.

    Could you help me out and perform a conversion, let's say for the
    decimal 0.0745.

    Thank you.

    Chris

    Christian Christmann, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Christian Christmann

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:59:14
    +0100, in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of Christian Christmann
    <> spewed the following:

    |Hi,
    |
    |I need some help with the conversion of decimal numbers into
    |the IEEE-754 format (floating point).
    |
    |There seem to be two possible formats. The one I need is defined
    |as follows:
    |
    | Sm, C, M
    |
    |with Sm = bit-vector representation of the mantissa sign
    | C = characteristic
    | M = bit-vector representation of abs(mantissa)
    |
    |I could not find any information in the Internet how to practically
    |convert decimals into floating point numbers using C.
    |
    |Could you help me out and perform a conversion, let's say for the
    |decimal 0.0745.

    Here is a java applet that converts IEEE-754:
    http://www.h-schmidt.net/FloatApplet/IEEE754.html

    And here is the search string:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...EEE-754 format decimal conversion&btnG=Search
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Christian Christmann

    Kewl Guest

    Christian Christmann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some help with the conversion of decimal numbers into
    > the IEEE-754 format (floating point).
    >
    > There seem to be two possible formats. The one I need is defined
    > as follows:
    >
    > Sm, C, M
    >
    > with Sm = bit-vector representation of the mantissa sign
    > C = characteristic
    > M = bit-vector representation of abs(mantissa)
    >
    > I could not find any information in the Internet how to practically
    > convert decimals into floating point numbers using C.
    >
    > Could you help me out and perform a conversion, let's say for the
    > decimal 0.0745.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Chris

    are you a stripper i would love to see you as a stripper

    Kewl, Mar 12, 2006