    Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
    response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same thread.

    Thanks.

    Aitch, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Aitch

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Aitch said:

    > When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's a
    > conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new posting to
    > the same subject.
    > Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
    >
    > Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
    > response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same thread.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Tools | Options | Send | News Sending Format | Plain Text Settings | Indent the
    original text with >
    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Aitch

    Patrick Guest

    Aitch wrote:
    > When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
    > a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
    > posting to the same subject.
    > Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
    >
    > Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
    > response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
    > thread.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, to reply to your post, I did;
    With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
    I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the beggining of
    each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
    I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
    If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press 'Reply to
    Group' etc
    Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted, this will
    give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one set of chevrons
    and so on,.

    If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail address)
    you would press the 'Reply' button.

    If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
    commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.
    Patrick, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Aitch

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Aitch wrote:
    >> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
    >> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
    >> posting to the same subject.
    >> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
    >>
    >> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
    >> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
    >> thread.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Well, to reply to your post, I did;
    > With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
    > I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
    > beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
    > I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
    > If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
    > 'Reply to Group' etc
    > Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
    > this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
    > set of chevrons and so on,.
    >
    > If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
    > address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
    >
    > If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
    > commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

    And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you (note how
    it is indented to my original reply.)

    Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny first
    post.

    Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking' (when you
    know how).

    Best Wishes Patrick

    PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though you can,
    if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added automatically in
    the 'Subject' field.
    Patrick, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Aitch

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Patrick said:

    > Patrick wrote:
    >> Aitch wrote:
    >>> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
    >>> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
    >>> posting to the same subject.
    >>> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
    >>>
    >>> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
    >>> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
    >>> thread.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Well, to reply to your post, I did;
    >> With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
    >> I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
    >> beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
    >> I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
    >> If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
    >> 'Reply to Group' etc
    >> Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
    >> this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
    >> set of chevrons and so on,.
    >>
    >> If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
    >> address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
    >>
    >> If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
    >> commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

    > And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you (note how
    > it is indented to my original reply.)
    >
    > Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny first
    > post.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking' (when you
    > know how).
    >
    > Best Wishes Patrick
    >
    > PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though you can,
    > if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added automatically in
    > the 'Subject' field.

    You forgot to add "but shouldn't" after "if you want".
    Changing the subject line move the subject to a different thread if that subject
    exists already, or a new one if not.
    Changing the subject is confusing, just as confusing and annoying as changing
    the subject when in verbal conversations.
    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  6. Aitch

    Patrick Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Patrick said:
    >
    >> Patrick wrote:

    >>> Well, to reply to your post, I did;
    >>> With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
    >>> I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
    >>> beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
    >>> I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
    >>> If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
    >>> 'Reply to Group' etc
    >>> Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
    >>> this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
    >>> set of chevrons and so on,.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
    >>> address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the
    >>> same commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

    >> And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you
    >> (note how it is indented to my original reply.)
    >>
    >> Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny
    >> first post.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking'
    >> (when you know how).
    >>
    >> Best Wishes Patrick
    >>
    >> PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though
    >> you can, if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added
    >> automatically in the 'Subject' field.

    > You forgot to add "but shouldn't" after "if you want".
    > Changing the subject line move the subject to a different thread if
    > that subject exists already, or a new one if not.
    > Changing the subject is confusing, just as confusing and annoying as
    > changing the subject when in verbal conversations.

    Truly, truly (the devil is in the detail).
    Patrick, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Aitch

    Aitch Guest

    Thanks Patrick for the very comprehensive reply. Most grateful.

    Aitch, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Aitch

    Aitch Guest

    Brian,
    Thanks a lot. Most informative and I 've learned something today.

    Regards,

    Aitch, Sep 25, 2003
  9. Aitch

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Aitch said:

    > Brian,
    > Thanks a lot. Most informative and I 've learned something today.
    >
    > Regards,

    You're welcome.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Aitch

    Patrick Guest

    Aitch wrote:
    > Thanks Patrick for the very comprehensive reply. Most grateful.

    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    - Lao-tzu

    Patrick, Sep 25, 2003