    Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    architectiralphotography?
    Laurie, U.K.
    Laurie, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Laurie

    Jim Guest

    "Laurie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    > architectiralphotography?
    > Laurie, U.K.

    Photoshop (since V7 at least).
    PSP
    PSE

    And probably others.

    Jim
    Jim, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Laurie

    frederick Guest

    Laurie wrote:
    > Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    > architectiralphotography?
    > Laurie, U.K.

    Gimp (free) for Windows / *nix.
    frederick, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Laurie

    jeremy Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Laurie wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    >> architectiralphotography?
    >> Laurie, U.K.
    >>

    > Gimp (free) for Windows / *nix.

    I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI and it does an excellent job. And they
    made it very easy to use in the latest version.

    The software superimposes a square on top of the photo. All you do is to
    drag each corner of the square to each of the four corners of the building.
    Click execute and the building is straightened out. Very quick, very
    accurate.

    The software has a feature called the Learning Center, that literally walks
    you through numerous editing tasks, including the deformation tool. It also
    has some "one-click" fixes, for those times that you want to tweak an image
    automatically, rather than spend a lot of time doing individual tweaks.

    There is a fully functional 30 day trial version available on the Corel Web
    Site for download. If you choose to buy, be sure to order the CD version,
    rather than the download version, as the CD version includes two hours of
    video tutorials.

    One major advantage of PSPXI is that Corel has gone to some lengths to ease
    the learning curve, with tutorials, an excellent help section and the
    Learning Center. I stopped using PS long ago, because PSP was just so much
    easier and intuitive. Just my 2-cents'
    jeremy, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Laurie

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Laurie wrote:
    > Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    > architectiralphotography?
    > Laurie, U.K.

    I think most true Photo Editors which will normally not be of the
    freebie variety will do the job.
    However, how you do it may vary. I use PhotoPlus (an earlier version of
    this may be free or nearly so, www.serif.com) which has a thing called
    deform tool that does the trick. I doubt the final result is quite the
    same as using a large format plate or film camera with all the swings
    and tilts and a bulb release that uses a true ball.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Laurie

    bmoag Guest

    Whatever program you use remember that simply straightening the lines is not
    enough as the image will likely be foreshortened and require additional
    correction. If you have used a very wide angle lens it is likely there is
    pre-existing barrel distortion which should be corrected as well.. Also
    significant parts of the image will be unusable so cropping is always
    necessary
    bmoag, Nov 30, 2006
  7. Laurie

    jeremy Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Whatever program you use remember that simply straightening the lines is
    > not enough as the image will likely be foreshortened and require
    > additional correction. If you have used a very wide angle lens it is
    > likely there is pre-existing barrel distortion which should be corrected
    > as well.. Also significant parts of the image will be unusable so cropping
    > is always necessary

    On the Schneider web site they make the argument that a good perspective
    control lens beats software correction hands down. Schneider just happens
    to make an expensive PC lens.

    Even with the factors that you raise, I still prefer the software solution.
    You are right about cropping--it is important to leave room at the edges of
    the frame for the inevitable cropping that must occur when the image is
    straightened out.
    jeremy, Nov 30, 2006
  8. Laurie

    bugbear Guest

    jeremy wrote:

    > On the Schneider web site they make the argument that a good perspective
    > control lens beats software correction hands down. Schneider just happens
    > to make an expensive PC lens.

    (chuckle)

    This may be true.

    But it's woefully inapplicable to mr Ordinary
    and a compact P&S camera!

    Or do Schneider make a PC lens to fit the Canon a510?!?!?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Nov 30, 2006
  9. Laurie

    jeremy Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    > jeremy wrote:
    >>
    >> On the Schneider web site they make the argument that a good perspective
    >> control lens beats software correction hands down. Schneider just
    >> happens to make an expensive PC lens.

    > (chuckle)
    >
    > This may be true.
    >
    > But it's woefully inapplicable to mr Ordinary
    > and a compact P&S camera!
    >
    > Or do Schneider make a PC lens to fit the Canon a510?!?!?
    >
    > BugBear

    I did not know that we were discussing converging verticals on P&S cameras.
    The OP just asked what software was available that corrected the problem.

    Schneider may have a valid argument about the correction being better done
    by the optics rather than corrected post-shoot by software. I doubt that
    most P&S users would even know what converging verticals are, much less be
    concerned about correcting them.
    jeremy, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Laurie

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 30, 5:34 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > jeremy wrote:
    >
    > > On the Schneider web site they make the argument that a good perspective
    > > control lens beats software correction hands down. Schneider just happens
    > > to make an expensive PC lens.(chuckle)

    > This may be true.
    >
    > But it's woefully inapplicable to mr Ordinary
    > and a compact P&S camera!
    >
    > Or do Schneider make a PC lens to fit the Canon a510?!?!?
    >
    > BugBear

    That said, there is an old tome "use the tool that fits the job".
    Correcting perspective in software does degrade the image,
    significantly in some cases. My tool of choice for this is Photoshop
    CS, I'm not sure if Elements has the same tools. That said, I do prefer
    4x5 for architecture, but clients often won't pay for it. Then it is
    DSLR off the tripod trying to keep everything linear and as little
    correction as possible, I find a little scewed perspective preferable
    to soft images.

    Tom
    tomm42, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Laurie

    jeremy Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 30, 5:34 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> jeremy wrote:
    >>
    >> > On the Schneider web site they make the argument that a good
    >> > perspective
    >> > control lens beats software correction hands down. Schneider just
    >> > happens
    >> > to make an expensive PC lens.(chuckle)

    >> This may be true.
    >>
    >> But it's woefully inapplicable to mr Ordinary
    >> and a compact P&S camera!
    >>
    >> Or do Schneider make a PC lens to fit the Canon a510?!?!?
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > That said, there is an old tome "use the tool that fits the job".
    > Correcting perspective in software does degrade the image,
    > significantly in some cases. My tool of choice for this is Photoshop
    > CS, I'm not sure if Elements has the same tools. That said, I do prefer
    > 4x5 for architecture, but clients often won't pay for it. Then it is
    > DSLR off the tripod trying to keep everything linear and as little
    > correction as possible, I find a little scewed perspective preferable
    > to soft images.
    >
    > Tom

    I had the impression that the OP was not a professional, based on the way he
    posed the question. A more casual user would probably find that software
    correction met the need just fine. Pros already know what they want.
    jeremy, Nov 30, 2006
  12. Laurie

    Fred Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > Schneider may have a valid argument about the correction being better done
    > by the optics rather than corrected post-shoot by software. I doubt that
    > most P&S users would even know what converging verticals are, much less be
    > concerned about correcting them.

    That's rather a condescending attitude, although granted the majority of
    camera owners wouldn't know what converging verticals are. The implication
    if you own a P&S you are either naive or stupid rather a rash statement.
    Fred, Nov 30, 2006
  13. Laurie

    John Reagan Guest

    Laurie wrote:
    > Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg verticals in
    > architectiralphotography?
    > Laurie, U.K.

    DxO will do that.

    --
    John
    John Reagan, Nov 30, 2006
  14. Laurie

    Frank ess Guest

    John Reagan wrote:
    > Laurie wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of software which will correct convergimg
    >> verticals
    >> in architectiralphotography?
    >> Laurie, U.K.
    >>

    > DxO will do that.

    Let me trot out my example of a minor converging-verticals
    "correction" performed with PS CS2:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/11AB301D9DE7893

    Simple way was to use the Crop Tool with Perspective checked. Align
    the crop sides with the edifice sides, do the crop, as if by Magick,
    there you are!

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Nov 30, 2006