Conundrums of tests

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)

    One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out where
    they went wrong.
    The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.

    So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact I
    was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    resit.

    But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    he only scored so well because of the resit system

    Opinions welcome
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Shane

    Sonn Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >
    > One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    > The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out where
    > they went wrong.
    > The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >
    > So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact I
    > was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    > My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    > questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    > One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    > to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    > and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    > first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    > resit.
    >
    > But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    > see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    > he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >
    > Opinions welcome

    Or ... it's in your interests to figure out the system, and work with it
    for your best (or the organisation's - in the future) interest. Look at
    it a different way - a little extra effort pays off, and the effort of
    sitting the test again is what what your marks will be reflecting.
    Employers also like people who put the effort in.

    S.
    Sonn, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Shane

    Jo Guest

    "Sonn" <> wrote in message news:44d6dfa3$...
    > Shane wrote:
    > Or ... it's in your interests to figure out the system, and work with it
    > for your best (or the organisation's - in the future) interest. Look at
    > it a different way - a little extra effort pays off, and the effort of
    > sitting the test again is what what your marks will be reflecting.
    > Employers also like people who put the effort in.

    Actually most employers like their employees to be charismatic, popular and
    easy to get on with. They dont like painfully shy socially inept
    perfectionist geniuses.
    Jo, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >
    > One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a
    > resit. The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and
    > points out where they went wrong.
    > The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >
    > So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in
    > fact I was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    > My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    > questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    > One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test
    > went on
    > to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with
    > 87%,
    > and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw
    > the first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect
    > 100% on the resit.
    >
    > But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going
    > to see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my
    > explanation that he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >
    > Opinions welcome

    When I was studying the pass mark was 80% as well, and if you failed you
    could resit like with you sitting exactly the same test. However, no
    matter what score you got on the resit, you would be credited with only
    80%, assuming you passed on the second go.

    Chris Hope, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Shane

    Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:56:40 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >
    >One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    >The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out where
    >they went wrong.
    >The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >
    >So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact I
    >was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    >My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    >questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    >One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    >to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    >and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    >first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    >resit.
    >
    >But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    >see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    >he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >
    >Opinions welcome

    Welcome to the PC dream of never failing at anything.
    If the others get to resit the same test, then it becomes pretty much
    like an open book exam, so what's the point of a test at all?
    I think the point of a test is to see how much of the course work you
    have actually learned and retained.
    I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    Blah.
    , Aug 7, 2006
  6. Shane

    Pooh Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >
    > One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    > The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out
    > where
    > they went wrong.
    > The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >
    > So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact
    > was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    > My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    > questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    > One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    > to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    > and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    > first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    > resit.
    >
    > But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    > see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    > he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >
    > Opinions welcome
    > --
    > Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    >
    > Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    As red would say. "It's the damned commies corupting our school system".
    ;O) It strikes me as being a bit like cheating. Maybe what they should do is
    refuse to give a mark over 80% if it's a retest. I'm in a course that makes
    you redo questions you get wrong. However the tutors arn't kind enough to
    tell you the 'book' answer. It feels like a bit of fiddle to me, but have to
    complete the course wether I like it or not.
    However after all that Shane you can and should still feel good about your
    mark. Well done from me m8 ;O)

    Pooh
    Pooh, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Shane

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    > would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    Sounds good and fair to me.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Shane

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Jo" <> wrote in news:44d6e2ca$:

    > Actually most employers like their employees to be charismatic,
    > popular and easy to get on with. They dont like painfully shy socially
    > inept perfectionist geniuses.

    Thinking of "Hands" from Boston Legal?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 7, 2006
  9. Shane

    Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:56:40 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >>
    >>One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    >>The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out
    >>where they went wrong.
    >>The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >>
    >>So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact
    >>I was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    >>My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    >>questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    >>One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    >>to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    >>and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    >>first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    >>resit.
    >>
    >>But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    >>see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    >>he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >>
    >>Opinions welcome

    > Welcome to the PC dream of never failing at anything.
    > If the others get to resit the same test, then it becomes pretty much
    > like an open book exam, so what's the point of a test at all?
    > I think the point of a test is to see how much of the course work you
    > have actually learned and retained.
    > I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    > would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    Isn't the fair thing for those who fail the test simply.... fail? Why get a
    second chance?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 7, 2006
  10. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Jo" <> wrote in news:44d6e2ca$:
    >
    > > Actually most employers like their employees to be charismatic,
    > > popular and easy to get on with. They dont like painfully shy
    > > socially inept perfectionist geniuses.

    > Thinking of "Hands" from Boston Legal?

    Asperger's Syndrome. I thought of that as soon as I first saw him.

    BTW, that has to be one of the funniest shows around. Isn't it strange how
    modern dramas are often funnier (by far) than modern comedy shows?
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2006
  11. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    > > I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    > > would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    > Sounds good and fair to me.

    Ditto.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2006
  12. Shane

    Earl Grey Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:56:40 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >>>
    >>> One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a resit.
    >>> The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and points out
    >>> where they went wrong.
    >>> The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >>>
    >>> So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in fact
    >>> I was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    >>> My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    >>> questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    >>> One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test went on
    >>> to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me with 87%,
    >>> and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest to throw the
    >>> first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are, expect 100% on the
    >>> resit.
    >>>
    >>> But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    >>> see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    >>> he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >>>
    >>> Opinions welcome

    >> Welcome to the PC dream of never failing at anything.
    >> If the others get to resit the same test, then it becomes pretty much
    >> like an open book exam, so what's the point of a test at all?
    >> I think the point of a test is to see how much of the course work you
    >> have actually learned and retained.
    >> I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    >> would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    > Isn't the fair thing for those who fail the test simply.... fail? Why get a
    > second chance?
    >
    > Allistar.

    Because a test shows you what you need to learn maybe ?
    Earl Grey, Aug 7, 2006
  13. Shane

    Allistar Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> Welcome to the PC dream of never failing at anything.
    >>> If the others get to resit the same test, then it becomes pretty much
    >>> like an open book exam, so what's the point of a test at all?
    >>> I think the point of a test is to see how much of the course work you
    >>> have actually learned and retained.
    >>> I would say that the fair thing to do for those who resit and pass
    >>> would be to get the pass mark and nothing more.

    >> Isn't the fair thing for those who fail the test simply.... fail? Why get
    >> a second chance?
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Because a test shows you what you need to learn maybe ?

    By all means show them why and where they failed, but letting them resit
    with the exact same questions leads to meaningless results.

    In my day (not that long ago) tests were either passed or failed. There
    seems to be a culture of protecting people from failure. Failure is the
    best way to ensure non failure next time (as one will find out when
    forgetting their wedding anniversary :p).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 7, 2006
  14. T'was the Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:56:40 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

    >But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    >see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    >he only scored so well because of the resit system

    This is a degree right? When I was at Weltec, we didn't have resits
    for degree (level 5+) papers. Same as here at Waikato.

    More to the point, if you are being reassessed, it should be with
    different questions. You can't reassess someone using the same
    questions.

    Blame Wintec I guess.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 7, 2006
  15. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-08-07, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> Isn't the fair thing for those who fail the test simply.... fail? Why get
    >>> a second chance?
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> Because a test shows you what you need to learn maybe ?

    > By all means show them why and where they failed, but letting them resit
    > with the exact same questions leads to meaningless results.
    >
    > In my day (not that long ago) tests were either passed or failed. There
    > seems to be a culture of protecting people from failure. Failure is the
    > best way to ensure non failure next time (as one will find out when
    > forgetting their wedding anniversary :p).
    >
    > Allistar.

    When I sat my other exams of this nature the questions were different, so its
    made me think twice. Ethically I should go for gold on the first attempt, but is
    it better to play the situation to my advantage.
    Shane, Aug 7, 2006
  16. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-08-07, Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:56:40 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    ><-a-geek.net> saying something like this:
    >
    >>But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going to
    >>see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my explanation that
    >>he only scored so well because of the resit system

    > This is a degree right? When I was at Weltec, we didn't have resits
    > for degree (level 5+) papers. Same as here at Waikato.
    >
    > More to the point, if you are being reassessed, it should be with
    > different questions. You can't reassess someone using the same
    > questions.
    >
    > Blame Wintec I guess.

    Its one class, in other classes there is no resit. Further its an offsite
    testing procedure. Wintec (as far as I can make out is just following the
    prescription)
    Blame a big name instead
    Shane, Aug 7, 2006
  17. Shane

    MarkH Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > Lets see if I can summon the wisdom from the deep :)
    >
    > One of my papers is tested once per week, and people who fail get a
    > resit. The tutor normally goes over the test they just failed and
    > points out where they went wrong.
    > The interesting thing is, the resit is precisely the same test.
    >
    > So far I have been the highest in the class for the first attempt (in
    > fact I was one of only two to pass the third weeks test)
    > My mark was 87% which I had thought was quite good (there was only 18
    > questions in the test and the pass mark is 80%)
    > One of my friends who scored 62% on the first attempt at that test
    > went on to score 100% in the resit. The record for that test shows me
    > with 87%, and him with 100%. It appears to me that its in my interest
    > to throw the first attempt, and then knowing what the questions are,
    > expect 100% on the resit.
    >
    > But it doesnt feel honest. At the end of the day, employers are going
    > to see his 100% and my 87%, and are they going to accept my
    > explanation that he only scored so well because of the resit system
    >
    > Opinions welcome

    Have you asked the tutor about it? When you finish this paper how do they
    calculate your final mark? Does your friend get a higher final mark with
    100% on the resit or would you have the higher final mark with higher
    scores on the first sit?

    If you tutor advises you that you would get a higher final mark due to the
    good score on the first try then why are you complaining here?

    If you tutor sheepishly admits that your friend would be looking at a
    better final mark then you need to demand to also be allowed a resit, even
    if you got 87% on the first try. In fact everyone should get to do the
    test twice.

    At the end of the day would an employer really get to see the results of
    each weekly test?

    My opinion is that you should take your concerns to the relevant people and
    either have your concerns laid to rest or have the system changed to be
    fairer. You should especially ask if there is any reason why the tutor
    couldn't explain where you went wrong and then let you have a resit to
    raise your 87%, just like with your friend and his 62%.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Aug 8, 2006
  18. Shane

    Richard Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Its one class, in other classes there is no resit. Further its an offsite
    > testing procedure. Wintec (as far as I can make out is just following the
    > prescription)
    > Blame a big name instead

    Is this one of the worthless but necessary industry qualifications from cisco/ms
    etc?
    Richard, Aug 8, 2006
  19. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >

    >> Its one class, in other classes there is no resit. Further its an offsite
    >> testing procedure. Wintec (as far as I can make out is just following
    >> the prescription)
    >> Blame a big name instead

    > Is this one of the worthless but necessary industry qualifications from
    > cisco/ms etc?

    Yessum
    Cisco

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Aug 8, 2006
  20. T'was the Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:48:19 +0000 (UTC) when I remembered Shane
    <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

    >Its one class, in other classes there is no resit. Further its an offsite
    >testing procedure. Wintec (as far as I can make out is just following the
    >prescription)
    >Blame a big name instead

    CCNA?
    --