Controlling multilink calls on a server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Vincent C Jones, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. A simple design requirement that I'm having trouble finding a useful
    solution to... Hopefully I merely overlooking the obvious...

    Background:

    Two dial-in servers using local authentication with about 100 lines
    each (ISDN PRI to 3640s).

    Spokes using ISDN backup with all calls placed by spokes using a
    single BRI interface and no dial back.

    Just enough lines for 1 b-channel per spoke if all spokes require
    ISDN backup at the same time (think disaster scenarios).

    The Goal:

    Under normal conditions, only a few to a few dozen spokes will need
    ISDN, so the desire is to use MLPPP for maximum possible bandwidth. The
    challenge is that as the number of spokes requiring ISDN exceeds 50%
    we need a way to force all spokes to limit themselves to a single
    B-channel without manual intervention or additional hardware.

    Acceptable Alternative (if "the Goal" can't be met):

    First "X" spokes to dial in get MLPPP, any additional spokes which call
    in get limited to a single channel (note that this requires provisioning
    extra PRIs to handle X 2-B-channel calls under worst case conditions).

    Further Constraints:

    Manual intervention is not acceptable--operation is 24x7 but staffing
    is only 8x5.

    Local authentication is strongly preferred. Adding RADIUS or TACACS
    servers would have a major cost impact.

    Dial-in servers also support other classes of callers and dial-out
    connections, so dialer profiles must be used, which eliminates BAP/BACP.

    Single points of failure are not acceptable, nor are solutions which
    the TAC could not support (I don't want to be a single point of
    failure either :).

    Thanks in advance for any ideas which lead to a cost effective solution.
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Apr 19, 2004