Controlling connected Access Point through DeviceIoControl on Vista

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi,

    I want to be able to scan for the best access point, and control connection
    programatically. I need to do this to improve the handover time whilst
    streaming live audio/video.

    I am trying to do this by using two wireless adapters, one to do the
    streaming and the second to continuously scan for the best AP, and when I
    determine there is a better AP to use I can get the streaming adapter to
    disconnect/reconnect.

    I have this working on XP using NDISUIO. However on Vista the call to start
    the scan fails with error code 1008 (0x3F0). ERROR_INVALID_TOKEN.

    I've tried changing the code to use the NDIS 6 OIDs, but with no success. I
    can't find
    IOCTL_NDISUIO_QUERY_OID_VALUE in the Vista DDK, so it appears that
    Microsoft don't support this route and want me to use the Native WiFi API
    instead. However I can't find any way of disabling scanning on one of the
    adapters using the Native WiFi API.

    NDIS 6 seems to allow setting a "Media Streaming" mode which disables
    scanning. This is clearly what I need to use.

    Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Thanks
    John.
    John, Oct 2, 2007