    Radio Holland USA, INC.
    HOUSTON Corporate
    Network Administrator
    Jamie Wenner, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Jamie Wenner

    catwalker63 Guest

    Jamie Wenner piffled away vaguely:

    > ok guys, I really gave myself more credit than I was due in regards how
    > prepaired I thought I was for studing the 70-271. For the most part I feel
    > real confortable with what I have studied. But the combined access level with
    > Sharing and NTSF is driving me crazy. Has anyone come up with a simple way to
    > remember how to compare NTSF premission vs. Shared folder permissions to
    > quickly identify what level of access a users will be granted. My Active
    > directory group policies is not helping the way we have it set up.
    >
    > Thanks

    Try it out and keep working at it and it will suddenly click. One way
    is to make two columns and label one NTFS and the other Share. Put the
    appropriate permissions for the user and each group they belong to in
    the appropriate column. For NTFS, the effective permission is the LEAST
    restrictive of all for the user and all of the groups unless there is an
    explicit deny, so write that down at the bottom of the column. Same for
    Share permissions. Now, look at the permissions at the bottom of each
    column and compare them. The effective permissions over the network are
    the MOST restrictive permissions between Share and NTFS.

    When you go to try this in the real world, setup the share as open to
    all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
    actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
    they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
    will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
    more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
    confusing you.

    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Jamie Wenner

    catwalker63 Guest

    Jamie Wenner piffled away vaguely:

    > ok guys, I really gave myself more credit than I was due in regards how
    > prepaired I thought I was for studing the 70-271. For the most part I feel
    > real confortable with what I have studied. But the combined access level with
    > Sharing and NTSF is driving me crazy. Has anyone come up with a simple way to
    > remember how to compare NTSF premission vs. Shared folder permissions to
    > quickly identify what level of access a users will be granted. My Active
    > directory group policies is not helping the way we have it set up.
    >
    > Thanks

    Also, group policy and permissions are completely different things.

    catwalker63, Apr 8, 2007