    my neighborhood's unsecured network.

    How can I keep it from appearing in the list of available networks?

    David
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTWNNZWFucw==?=, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Hi

    If your Kids are computer savvy and you are using mainstream Entry Level
    Devices there is nothing too much you can do about it.

    First, secure your own Network to the Max. Configure your Network with an IP
    subnet that is Not common to the commercial devices (like give it
    192.168.183.x), and configure the Kids Wireless with a Static IP like
    192.168.183.227

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 10, 2006

  3. Might your neighbors cooperate with securing their equipment? The most
    reliable technical method is to have them block your child out of their
    network. I would agree with Jack that anything you do to your child's laptop
    can just as well be undone by your child.

    Securing your neighbor's network would leave your child unprotected if they
    travel with the laptop. I don't want to presume too much about your
    situation, but it is my opinion that the most effective way for a child to
    be protected from inappropriate content is to keep any networkable device
    they use in a family space where it will be available for discussion. This
    is sometimes easier said than done.

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Jan 10, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTWNNZWFucw==?=

    Carol Guest

    If you set your network as the one you want to connect to, it shouldn't look
    for another network. Open your wireless network connection properties. On
    the Wireless Networks tab you should be able to see all available networks.
    First of all, yours should be moved to the top. When you highlight it, click
    the properties button and on the connections tab, make sure the option to
    automatically connect to that network is checked. Then click on any other
    network names you see and in the properties of those, uncheck that box. That
    should help.

    Carol, Feb 5, 2006