    internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?

    Thanks

    John

    John, Dec 8, 2004

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    > internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?

    It would take specialized software to emulate the vehicle controls, then
    that software would also have to interface with software on a remote client
    PC on the other end where the vehicle was located. Then, that client PC
    would also have to have a hardware interfaced with the necessary radio
    transmitter to relay the remotely fed input commands to the vehicle. In
    other words, it would be a real challenge to set something like that up.
    It's not something that you can casually do. It would take a lot of time and
    effort as well as programming and electronics knowledge, in the abscence of
    some ready-made product designed to do it. I am unaware of the existence of
    such a product.

    Thor, Dec 8, 2004

  3. John wrote:

    > Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    > internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?

    Sounds interesting. It is probably somewhat difficult to set up,
    and rather expensive. What is your motivation?

    George Williams, Dec 9, 2004
  4. John

    Guest

    i've seen computer controlled robots. You plug them in and can control
    them via the keyboard. Thus, if you can find a computer controlled
    car, then you can control it over the internet using VNC or Radmin
    which lets you view the screen of the other computer remotely. You
    would then need software running on the remote computer / the screen
    you see that does keypresses when you click keys. A simple VB program
    would do that, there is a sendkeys function.
    You gotta find a remote control computer controlled car though

    This cool dude has done it the cool - hard - way
    http://www.drivemeinsane.com/howtos/rccar/rccar.shtml?theme=0

    , Dec 9, 2004
  5. John

    Guest

    sorry, that dude hasn't done it. The title of the page on that link
    mislead me.

    I don't know much about electronics but
    open up the remote control of the car, you'll see contacts that you can
    join together with a wire or screwdriver, to see what they do.
    Connecting the right contacts together will cause the car to move
    around.

    Now i'm guessing you've got to figure out how to connect that to the
    serial or parallel port. I have no idea. Try an electronics newsgroup

    There is an interesting post

    From: ()
    Subject: Re: Serial Port Interface questions
    Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.land
    Date: 2000-09-08 17:10:06 PST

    but the link within that post is broken

    This page is has a bit about the programming related to controlling the
    parallel port
    http://www.control.com/1026186588/index_html
    you may want to use the serial port - the programming principles should
    be the same.

    relevant newsgroups to poke around in may be
    comp.robotics.misc, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt, sci.electronics.*

    , Dec 9, 2004
  6. John

    Ross Durie Guest

    Yes, maybe you would like to teach yourself how to do it or be lazy and do
    an electrical engineering degree in your spare time.

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Dec 9, 2004
  7. John

    The Raven Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    >> internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?

    > It would take specialized software to emulate the vehicle controls, then
    > that software would also have to interface with software on a remote
    > client PC on the other end where the vehicle was located.

    An interesting challenge.

    > Then, that client PC would also have to have a hardware interfaced with
    > the necessary radio transmitter to relay the remotely fed input commands
    > to the vehicle.

    PPJOY a free piece of software allowing standard "stick" radios to connect
    to a PC's LPT port. If wheel radios have trainer ports (which I doubt) it
    should be just as easy.

    Oh, to make the trainer cord is a snap. Cost me less than $6 locally for the
    parts.

    > In other words, it would be a real challenge to set something like that
    > up. It's not something that you can casually do. It would take a lot of
    > time and effort as well as programming and electronics knowledge, in the
    > abscence of some ready-made product designed to do it. I am unaware of the
    > existence of such a product.

    I'm not an expert on this but wouldn't it be easier to use the local PC to
    operate a local TX to the car? Then it's just a matter of using a remote
    hosting application to control that PC. Of course, the remote driver needs a
    feedback system which could be nothing more complex than a web cam.

    Of course, you won't be able to race a car like this as lag would inevitably
    lead to a crash. Input...100ms delay...car reacts....100ms delay....whatever
    feedback you're given is displayed. So you'd lose at least 1/5th of a second
    (assuming a 100ms ping) between reacting and seeing the result.

    --
    The Raven
    http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

    The Raven, Dec 9, 2004
  8. John

    Chris Dugan Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    > internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    The long and the short of it is: difficult to do as there is no over the
    counter product available that I am aware of.
    If you want to go the DIY method then start by adapting this system:

    http://autopilot.sourceforge.net

    It's a free DIY computer controlled autopilot for a model helicopter, so
    that will give you the control interface to the R/C systems and from that
    you can add on a communications link and modify the rest of the system to
    suit.

    Like I said not straight forward.

    Chris

    Chris Dugan, Dec 9, 2004
  9. John

    iocat25 Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    > internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Here is a link that describes how you can build a PC to transmitter
    interface.
    Here you will find VB code samples, article, etc.
    http://www.welwyn.demon.co.uk/PC_RC/PC_to_RC.htm

    This will allow you to actually control a RC vehicle from your PC (you
    are sitting at the PC).
    You <---> PC <-->Interface <---> transmitter <............> RC
    vehicle

    The next part of your question: controlling via the internet requires
    some programming to get it done. It essentially comes down to setting
    up a server
    on the machine controlling the RC device. Now, the server can be a web
    server or a server program of your own creation (investigate
    client/server programming). Both directions have their advantages and
    disadvantages.

    You <---> PC [Client software] <--> Internet <-->

    Server PC [server software] <--> Interface --> trans <........> RC
    vehicle
    <--> camara

    Of course you will need to have a camara attached to the server
    machine, otherwise how can you control what you can't see?
    Hopefully this helps.

    iocat25, Dec 9, 2004
  10. they drove an electric remote controlled buggy on mars, from here on earth.
    --
    Steve

    Steve & Chris Clark, Dec 10, 2004
  11. John

    Justin Mahn Guest

    Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    > they drove an electric remote controlled buggy on mars, from here on earth.
    > --
    > Steve
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    >>internet? If so how do I go about setting it up?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>John

    I believe the question was not "Is it possible?", but "_How_ is it
    possible?"

    Setting up a computer driven transmitter about the same difficulty as
    university level electronics projects. I don't understand it all,
    either, but rest assured that any master's student could tell you
    offhand, and any bachelors student could tell you with some research.

    Justin Mahn, Dec 11, 2004
  12. John

    Frater Mus Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 at 21:12 GMT, <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to control a radio controlled car remotely over the
    > internet?

    Back in 1995 you could control rc bots in a chicago university via a
    CGi script on their webpage.

    > If so how do I go about setting it up?

    First, you figure out how CGI programming is done.
    Second, you figure out how RC radio systems work.
    Third, you figure out how to build an interface.

    --
    http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
    CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

    Frater Mus, Dec 12, 2004
  13. John

    Guest

    In the sence of controlling it via VNC/Radmin or anything like that
    would make it so the car it's self would have to be a computer,
    therefore meaning it'd have to consist of all the things a regular
    computer would have to run, meaning it wouldn't fit into a 1/10th scale
    car now if you were to make a simple program that could emit out waves
    (In this case, the ones used by a remote control to control the car)
    out USB/SCUSI Or something of that sort to an antenna.. but that's a
    whole other thing, and in the sence wouldn't be so... pricey. It'd also
    mean easier home theft. For simply altering the program to emit Garage
    Door frequencies and so on... which is probably why the software isin't
    already made.

    , Dec 15, 2004
  14. John

    cornwallgas

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
    cornwallgas, Oct 31, 2006
  15. John

    brandoncaddow-young

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Yes it is possible. I did this very project during my undergrad. I created a detailed site to explain all steps.

    http://brandoncaddow-young.com/internetCar.php

    brandoncaddow-young, Jul 4, 2012