    in Classic view. I've tried restoreing to earlier dates and no cure.
    I'm a neophite.

    , Dec 19, 2007

  2. why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:31:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >The Control Panel on my start menu has disappeared. It's not in XP
    >theme and there is no Settings option

    XP theme as in XP or as in Win Vista? Or do you have a XP theme for
    Ubuntu?

    Maybe you mean the, (using XP not Vista, same idea)

    Toolbar / right click on a blank space on the toolbar / Properties /
    Start Menu / (see where this is going?) / Start Menu / Customize /
    Advanced / Control Panel, pick from -
    Display as a link
    Display as a menu
    Don't display this item

    Often mentioned in 24HSHD posts

    As it's a MS product,
    http://support.microsoft.com/

    MS Vista newsgroups
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33656486&expand=1

    or

    MS newsserver directly or web based, see previous posts in 24HSHD for
    server settings or URL.

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 437,000 English pages for
    windows vista missing control panel
    .. (0.24 seconds)

    Icons missing from Control Panel / Cannot start Control Panel ...
    Icons missing from Control Panel / Cannot start Control Panel, Welcome
    Center. ... You cannot start Windows Vista games such as Chess or
    Minesweeper. ...
    www.dashken.net/.../195-Icons-missi...nnot-start-Control-Panel,-Welcome-Center.html
    - 77k - Cached - Similar pages

    missing control panel in XP - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums
    Spyware, viruses, & security : My Control panel is missing in Windows XP
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=261486&messageID=2571566
    - 61k - Cached - Similar pages

    Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control ...
    Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel,
    the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista. View products that this
    article ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686 - Similar pages

    >in Classic view. I've tried restoreing to earlier dates and no cure.
    >I'm a neophite.

    Did you mean neophyte or Nephite?

    Me

    why?, Dec 19, 2007

  3. wrote in news:ac5f8027-a9bd-4291-b8c4-
    :

    > The Control Panel on my start menu has disappeared.
    > It's not in XP theme and there is no Settings option
    > in Classic view. I've tried restoreing to earlier
    > dates and no cure. I'm a neophite.

    The cure for neophytes is done with fire & ice-picks
    and as such may just be more troublesome than the ailment.

    Try this:

    Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\control.exe

    double-click on control.exe

    Control Panel will magically appear

    double-click on Folder Options | View tab
    Advanced settings window | Scroll down and
    check "Show Control Panel in My Computer"

    Follow the dialog(s) and Apply and OK out of
    that sub-applet...

    Now, double-click on the Taakbar and Start Menu icon
    to show Properties | Start Menu tab | Customize button
    etc. ... that get it?

    --

    http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1764440

    Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous mindnumbing all-organic
    low-carbon-footprint toxic-emissions-safe energy-conserving
    devoutly-religious and/or pagan-ritual holiday shopping season!

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Dec 19, 11:17 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:31:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    > >The Control Panel on my start menu has disappeared. It's not in XP
    > >theme and there is no Settings option

    > XP theme as in XP or as in Win Vista? Or do you have a XP theme for
    > Ubuntu?
    >
    > Maybe you mean the, (using XP not Vista, same idea)
    >
    > Toolbar / right click on a blank space on the toolbar / Properties /
    > Start Menu / (see where this is going?) / Start Menu / Customize /
    > Advanced / Control Panel, pick from -
    > Display as a link
    > Display as a menu
    > Don't display this item
    >
    > Often mentioned in 24HSHD postshttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    >
    > As it's a MS product,http://support.microsoft.com/
    >
    > MS Vista newsgroupshttp://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33656486&expand=1
    >
    > or
    >
    > MS newsserver directly or web based, see previous posts in 24HSHD for
    > server settings or URL.
    >
    > www.google.com
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 437,000 English pages for
    > windows vista missing control panel
    > . (0.24 seconds)
    >
    > Icons missing from Control Panel / Cannot start Control Panel ...
    > Icons missing from Control Panel / Cannot start Control Panel, Welcome
    > Center. ... You cannot start Windows Vista games such as Chess or
    > Minesweeper. ...www.dashken.net/.../195-Icons-missing-from-Control-Panel-Cannot-start...
    > - 77k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > missing control panel in XP - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums
    > Spyware, viruses, & security : My Control panel is missing in Windows XP
    > - 61k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control ...
    > Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel,
    > the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista. View products that this
    > article ...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686- Similar pages
    >
    > >in Classic view. I've tried restoreing to earlier dates and no cure.
    > >I'm a neophite.

    > Did you mean neophyte or Nephite?
    >
    > Me

    thanks for your help. rt clk toolbar etc fixed it, obvious i am the
    former.
    bob

    , Dec 19, 2007
  5. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    oups.com:

    > The Control Panel on my start menu has disappeared. It's
    > not in XP theme and there is no Settings option
    > in Classic view. I've tried restoreing to earlier dates and
    > no cure. I'm a neophite.

    "neophyte"

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.