    does that all work, that's very confusing (and at first I thought I had lost
    all my control panel applets!) ?

    Thanks...

    Don Awalt, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Don Awalt wrote:

    > I have the Start menu set up so Control Panel is a link on it. If I

    right click on Control Panel and do either Open or Explore, I get the x64
    applet list of icons. If I just click on it, I get the six 32 bit ones
    that are pointed to in the full list by the "View x86 Control Panel Icons"
    icon. How does that all work, that's very confusing (and at first I
    thought I had lost all my control panel applets!) ?

    > Thanks...

    Just a WAG, but have you switched Explorer to the 32-bit version (so as to
    get various shell extensions working)?

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jun 20, 2005

  3. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Not knowingly <g>. Do you not see this behavior?

    Don Awalt, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Don Awalt wrote:

    > Not knowingly <g>. Do you not see this behavior?

    No, I get the full set of 64 bit applets in "classic view", and the normal
    categories in "category view", along with an option to see "32 bit
    options" and "other control panel options", pretty much just as you'd
    expect.

    It just seemed logical that if you'd switched to 32-bit explorer, you'd
    get a 32-bit control panel.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jun 21, 2005
  5. Hello Steve,
    You are correct. If you are running 32-bit Explorer and you open control
    panel from that explorer session, you will start with the 32-bit control
    panel.
    The funny thing is then the Open and Explore options are then opening with
    64-bit control panel.
    Don,
    These settings are defined at a
    HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\CPLS
    and for 32-bit
    HKLM\software\syswow64\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\CPLS
    Check these two settings and make sure there isn't anything unusual trying
    to load in them, like a another CPL that is attempting to load.

    This could imply that the Start Menu is trying to run as 32-explorer, open
    My compueter or goto to Start: Programs: Accessories: Windows Explorer
    Now do help about. Does dialog box bitmap show 64-bit in the title?

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <>
    <Subject: Re: Control Panel - I don't understand this
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:01:37 -0700
    <
    <Don Awalt wrote:
    <
    <> Not knowingly <g>. Do you not see this behavior?
    <>
    <
    <No, I get the full set of 64 bit applets in "classic view", and the normal
    <categories in "category view", along with an option to see "32 bit
    <options" and "other control panel options", pretty much just as you'd
    <expect.
    <
    <It just seemed logical that if you'd switched to 32-bit explorer, you'd
    <get a 32-bit control panel.
    <
    <--
    <Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    <---------------------------------------
    <MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 21, 2005
  6. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Darrell, you hit it - the Control Panel link you get on the Start Menu when
    you ask for Control Panel to be displayed there is the 32 bit version. If I
    go to the Advanced tab of properties when right-clicking on the Start button
    and change the Control Panel radio button to "Display as a menu", I get the
    64 bit applets showing. But if I set it to "Display as a menu", the version
    of Explorer that comes up is the 32 bit version. Sounds like a bug, right? I
    don't see a way to pick the 64 bit version...

    Don Awalt, Jun 21, 2005
  7. Hello Don,
    What is funny is that I can't repro your issue.
    I tried several times to change that setting to see if it would default to
    the 32-bit version, but I only get the 64-bit version.
    It shows as link on my start menu and it's 64-bit as it should be.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Don Awalt" <>
    <Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:08:35 -0400
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <>
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:01:37 -0700
    <> <
    <> <Don Awalt wrote:
    <> <
    <> <> Not knowingly <g>. Do you not see this behavior?
    <> <>
    <> <
    <> <No, I get the full set of 64 bit applets in "classic view", and the
    <> normal
    <> <categories in "category view", along with an option to see "32 bit
    <> <options" and "other control panel options", pretty much just as you'd
    <> <expect.
    <> <
    <> <It just seemed logical that if you'd switched to 32-bit explorer, you'd
    <> <get a 32-bit control panel.
    <> <
    <> <--
    <> <Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 21, 2005
  8. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Hm. I turned it off by selecting a diffreent radio button on the Advanced
    menu, (Rt-click-Start/Properties/Customize/Advanced) and turn it back on
    again, and it's 32 bit. I'd be happy to debug if there's anything you can
    suggest, I don't know what to play with since it's pretty intuitive in the
    UI...

    Don Awalt, Jun 22, 2005