    I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
    the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

    , Aug 7, 2005

  2. JohnR66 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
    > control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
    > control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
    > D70s?
    >
    > I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
    > the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

    No because the zoom ring is manually turned by twisting the zoom ring on the
    lens. The is no electronic way to do this.
    John

    JohnR66, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Deedee Tee Guest

    AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
    electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
    software should be technically impossible. This is also why there are
    no zoom controls on the D70s body. Releasing the shutter from a laptop
    connected to the camera by a USB cable is fully possible with several
    programs, including Nikon's. Some software also allows you to get
    essentially the same level of control that you could get by operating
    the camera body manually (e.g., Nikon Capture).

    Deedee Tee, Aug 7, 2005
  4. f8andbethere Guest

    Why did you get a SLR and not a Point&Shoot??

    f8andbethere, Aug 7, 2005
  5. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:33:53 +0900, in rec.photo.digital Deedee Tee
    <abuse@localhost> wrote:

    >AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
    >electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
    >software should be technically impossible.

    Actually don't all the AF-S lenses do this? My AF-S VR 70-200mm does.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 6 Aug 2005 17:00:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
    >control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
    >control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
    >D70s?

    I believe all camera functions except zoom can be controlled with Nikon
    Capture.

    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Aug 7, 2005
  7. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 06:54:19 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:33:53 +0900, in rec.photo.digital Deedee Tee
    ><abuse@localhost> wrote:
    >
    >>AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
    >>electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
    >>software should be technically impossible.

    >Actually don't all the AF-S lenses do this? My AF-S VR 70-200mm does.

    Sorry, forget this nonsense. Brain swapped zoom and focus before waking up
    to the first cup of coffee this am.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On 6 Aug 2005 17:00:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
    >>control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
    >>control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
    >>D70s?

    >I believe all camera functions except zoom can be controlled with Nikon
    >Capture.
    >
    >----------
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    >http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Yes, Capture 4.x and a laptop will do most controls. As for zoom function,
    best soulution would be to fit a zoom from a security camera to the D70. With
    a joy-stick you could control zoom/focus of the lens, then shutter speed/
    release via Capture. One could even fit a motorized pan/tilt head to the
    tripod, and possibly run from the lens' joy-stick, or maybe even RC. Problem
    will be getting the D70 to actually fit the lens, and then finding the
    settings for what will now become a fixed-aperture lens. Sounds like a lot of
    work for probably marginal results, but I'll bet it could be done.

    I've stuck cine cameras on similar lenses many years ago, but then C-mount &
    Arri-mount are easy to either come by, or have fabricated, plus one did not
    have the electronics in the camera, or even shutter-speed to contend with. It
    would probably be less expensive to just buy a good security camera, with a
    DVD recorder, and do captures from the DVD produced. The stills from top-o-
    the-line security cameras will blow you away, but that rig would cost some
    heavy $'s, as well.

    Hunt

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 7, 2005